Should I buy a 270

BKhunter

An 06 using a 150 grain BTSP bullet will do very much the same thing ballistically as the 270, so IMO the purchase would be redundant.

What's the big desire for a 270?

The 150gr 308 @ 2960fps will not retain energy as well or shoot nearly as flat as the 130gr 270 bullet @ 3100fps.

The 30-06 is a jack of al trades yet master of none. The 270 is a long range cartridge that excels on deer/antelope/sheep/goats, yet has ample penetration W/proper bullets for elk.

What's the fascination W/30-06?

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

Think of a rifle as a tool to do a job with.  Do you need two tape measures or hack saws in your tool box, or would you be better off with one tool you don't currently have to do a different job?

As a wood worker/carpenter yes you need to have 2 of every tool in a toolbox.LOL!When you are a 2-3 hours away from a hardware store you'd better have a spare

• Like 1

The 150gr 308 @ 2960fps will not retain energy as well or shoot nearly as flat as the 130gr 270 bullet @ 3100fps.

The 30-06 is a jack of al trades yet master of none. The 270 is a long range cartridge that excels on deer/antelope/sheep/goats, yet has ample penetration W/proper bullets for elk.

I don't believe he has any fascination, but his points and questions are valid to anyone considering a 270 while they have a '06 already.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

I wouldn't unless your expecting long distance shots 400 yard plus. In my woods your lucky to get a 75 yard shot...and furthest I can shoot is 200 across largest field by me... 30.06 can do all that .and you can save.the money for a good.vacation or.bear hunt somewhere.

Since when have gun purchases had to make sense?  If you have the itch then buy it.  Then when you get another itch for something different buy that too.  

Oh I wish it was always just that easy...lol. If money isn't an issue I would say buy what you want as well. (maybe even two of each). If I had to pick one over the other for a purchase I would grab the 270 for my deer round, but in my opinion if I had an '06 and was looking to purchase a second rifle it wouldn't be an almost redundant purchase. I might opt for a 243 so I could go out varmint hunting an the occasional deer or if I had plans to go after bigger game I might choose to go up the spectrum instead.

That has been my philosphy, Culver.

I once won a Ruger M77 MkII .270 on a raffle ticket.

My main hunting rig then was my M70 .280. The two chamberings are very redundant, with the .280 having a slight advantage in bullet selection ( if you are a handloader).

This was before rifles were made legal for deer here western NY, but pistols WERE legal, and I did not own a long range pistol. SOOO, I sold the Ruger NIB and used the $$$ to purchase a Rem XP-100 in .260 Rem. That Ruger was the only rifle that I ever owned that I never fired.

• Like 1

Like I tell my wife buy it try it if you do not like it we can sell trade or give to someone that needs it.I purchase many thing that I do not need likewise with many of you all,I say make the purchase a 270 is a great rifle to own.

The difference between the two is really insignificant regarding energy and bullet drop.  No whitetail will ever be able to tell the difference after being shot no matter the range.

With modern powders in hand loads it's also possible to get a velocity of 3075 fps in a .30-06 using 150 gr bullets.  I'm not sure hand loads in a .270 can push a 130 gr bullet beyond the 3100 fps mark.

As a wood worker/carpenter yes you need to have 2 of every tool in a toolbox.LOL!When you are a 2-3 hours away from a hardware store you'd better have a spare

If that's the case, he needs another 30-06 in the toolbox. ;)

Edited by Mr VJP

Are you saying I shouldn't own multiple guns of the same caliber? Hmmm, you must have been speaking with my better half. She has brain washed you all.

Absolutely NOT!!! lol. "I have more guns than I need, but I need more guns than I have". I think we are all on the same page as far as just prioritizing the purchases. Of course there is always the "deal too good to pass up" that screws the entire logic up.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with having a second one on hand or something similar as a backup.  What if firing pin breaks, or some part of the action fails, or it takes a spill and scope ring breaks.

You are out of luck until it gets back from repairs, or you get the parts, install it, and retest it.  Picture that in the beginning or middle of deer season.  It happens.

May be wants something similar, but with less recoil - no harm in that either.

Last time I looked, ammo was cheaper and more plentiful for a 270 than what I shoot.

That may add to the itch.

I have a 30-06 but have the itch to get a Ruger 270. What is everyone's thoughts on this. Should I scratch the itch or should I not be impulsive since the 06 does the same job for the most part?

I have both... My 270 is a dedicated 130 grain rifle and my 06 is a dedicated 180 grain rifle. No resighting up and down for different bullet weights.
  • Like 3

Last time I looked, ammo was cheaper and more plentiful for a 270 than what I shoot.

That may add to the itch.

Last time I bought both over the counter the same premium rounds were a tad cheaper in the '06 than the comparable in 270. I shoot the '06, My Father shoots the 270. For just the reason you mentioned. He wanted a softer shooter and went 270 and in a 7400 semi. Thing is  a pussy cat to shoot compared to my '06 bolt.

• Like 1

The 30-06 is a jack of al trades yet master of none.

Does a cartridge need to be the absolute best at its purpose for you to use it?  If the 30-06 can more than adequately do the job without much to worry about then one would not need to find a better option.  If money and space is not a concern then we wouldn't need to have this debate but when money and space is a major factor then one would need to consider redundancy.  I use a 308 and I have yet to encounter a situation when I'm out hunting and had to pass up a shot because I only had a 308 and not a 270.

• Like 3