Long term....

growalot

Snowing now and looking at the 10 day 60% for snow on the 5th of April temps low 40's during the day, 20's at night....thinking planting will be very late this year, still 1 ft in woods...I haven't even bothered starting spring plants yet....

Edited by growalot

Well very inconvenient for sure. I have never been this far behind here...never cut the junk trees for deer...but they still need cutting for some are shading trees...I am grateful I can now trim the fruit trees and vines...day time temps not bad . I do know that once the thaw hits and ground firms a bit...dang york raking will produce a ton of heaved rocks...I need to re-start the fence stretching again and install wires for the grapes planted last year, while snows still on ground.

Edited by growalot

Looks like the trees will wait a bit longer...it was deceiving...went to check a cam and cut some stuff with a bow saw...and it is really still mid calf high....don't feel like getting the Gator stuck so that's a no go. hard packing but very wet and slippery underneath...It's snowed all day here.......everything is covered yet again. 

Looks like the trees will wait a bit longer...it was deceiving...went to check a cam and cut some stuff with a bow saw...and it is really still mid calf high....don't feel like getting the Gator stuck so that's a no go. hard packing but very wet and slippery underneath...It's snowed all day here.......everything is covered yet again. 

The woods are still full of snow?  I was thinking of taking a ride this weekend down to Canadice to go for a walk.  It ain't happening if the snow is still pretty bad........................

I ordered seed last week. I'll be starting tomatos, peppers, broccoli & cabbage as soon as they arrive.

Yeah, you have to do things according to the normal schedules. You never know when or if this "global cooling" will continue .... lol. Who knows? .... It may turn around and get super hot and dry. Weather can be an absolute mystery.

Yeah, you have to do things according to the normal schedules. You never know when or if this "global cooling" will continue .... lol. Who knows? .... It may turn around and get super hot and dry. Weather can be an absolute mystery.

You do realize that the Eastern United States is one of the few areas that is experiencing "global cooling" right?

They had to move the Iditerod race farther North this year because there wasn't enough snow in Anchorage.

Snowing now and looking at the 10 day 60% for snow on the 5th of April temps low 40's during the day, 20's at night....thinking planting will be very late this year, still 1 ft in woods...I haven't even bothered starting spring plants yet....

Being a rookie gardener, I started 10 tomato plants in mid Feb...I think I started a little early. They're getting big. Will transplant them into larger containers.

If tomatoes are leggy...get window boxes...pull lower leafs to second set...plant stems to just below those leafs...it will delay growth while making roots...you'll end up with huge roots system at planting time and strong stems...put a few side by side in the boxes...you can do this with peppers as well...just remember this makes planting shallower in garden and you need to take care with weeding and mulch them

Finally...

Edited by growalot

Well the maple season has not even started here for me yet.  I am usually started by valentines day and done at the very latest mid April.  Still 3 feet of snow pack here.  Hate to say it but I would be happy to see spring start in may this year. 

Edited by wdswtr

If I start my tomatos & peppers in the next few days, I can hold off transplanting them until Memorial Day if needed

I bought a collapsible greenhouse a few years back. http://www.flowerhouses.com/6-x-6-x-6-5-springhouse/

I plan to make use of it this spring after I get my plants started on my enclosed, South facing porch.