Squirrel Rifle

Robby

I thought maybe I could stir up a little more interest in old time muzzle loading. This is a .40 Cal., 44" barrel, iron furniture. Its very light and a dandy small game rifle, though in other states, deer can are legally taken with this caliber.

Robby

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0168.jpg

• Like 6

Did you build these rifles yourself?

I have a .36 iron mounted Tennessee Mountain rifle that I used to hunt squirrels with when I lived in Southen Indiana.

For years, all I hunted with were muzzle loaders including a pair of Davide Pedersoli 12ga dbl barrels.

Beautiful Flinter!

There's a guy on gunbroker.com selling a mint condition T/C Cherokee in .32 caliber percussion cap that I'd love to buy.  He says he's only fired it 6 times.  He's asking about $600 for it though.  People have bid as high as $550 but didn't hit the reserve.

Great squirrel rifle.

I finished up a .36 caliber western Carolina rifle a few weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to sight it in properly, what with the crap weather we have had, but I see some woodchucks in its near future. Something about the plain and rugged beauty of these guns that captured my imagination so I made one.

Robby

DSCN0109_zpsd1dae94e.jpg

DSCN0106_zps3dc661dd.jpg

• Like 2

Haha I could barely afford it if it was free! College takes all of my money. Hopefully I'll get me one, one day after I graduate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build one. I've done 7 myself. Start out W/a simple halfstock Ohio Valley or Plains rifle.

Except for breaching the barrel, routing out the barrel channel & drilling the ramrod hole, it can all be accomplished W/hand tools.

The barrel channel COULD be done W/chisels, but it's much easier to have it done. Also, dovetails are easier if you have them done on a mill.

Their used to be a Pharmacist in Franklin, IN that would allow us to use his shop on Wednesday nights. He would sell us stock blanks, barrels, locks, etc. he would rout the barrel channel, breech the barrel, cut the dovetails & then drill the ramrod hole when the thimbles & entry pipe were installed.

You basically build the rifle "in the block" to allow drilling holes square to the centerlines. After everything is inletted & installed, the final shape is roughed out & finalized.

• 2 months later...