Semi auto 3 1/2" let's talk

TreeGuy

I'm considering a 12ga versamax this season. Ideally all I'm going to do is kill turkeys ( hopefully ) and shoot trap. I want a semi auto that can do 3.5" I know it's overkill but I'm that guy sometimes. main reason I want the versamax is I hear it can cycle just about anything. I shoot trap a bunch in the summer with some friends, backyard style not competition and I buy the 100 pack shells which seem to get jammed up in both my friends 1100, 1187 and a moss berg semi. So, I want to be able to shoot 3.5 and junk type 2 3/4. Who does that with what and can help ?

Semi-auto are sometimes frowned upon for trap.

If you ever had to stand on the station to the right of a semi-auto you would understand why.

Like I said, it's redneck trap for me... if my pals want to stand to my right and catch hot brass that's their problem

And I do not intend on shooting 10 3.5s ever. It would be my turkey and yote gun. So multiple shots wouldn't be an issue.

I cant help with a semi auto.I use a 870 Supermag.I can tell you that I wish I paid more attention before I bought mine and I probably would have went with a 20.A lot of people on Oldgobbler.com are getting awesome patterns and knocking down birds past 40 yards with 20's.Most are shooting federals HW #7's.Just my 2 cents on that.For a semi I have 4 friends that run 3 1/2 inch guns.One has a Benelli SBE2,one has a mossberg 935 and 3 have Stoeger 3500.All like them and all get used pretty well.The one that's amazed me(basically because I know how the guy treats his equipment) is one of the stoegers.Feeds anything you throw at it.He uses it for waterfowl and shoots cases a year between that and trap.

I know two guys (duck hunters) who use the Versa Max. They love them. One guy does the back yard trap like you and never has a problem with target loads. I watched his son shoot up a box of low brass shells without a hiccup.

BTW…I shoot 3 1/2" shells for turkey. Necessary? No. but with the right loads they do increase range and throw denser patterns. Look for 2 1/2 oz. loads. Not 2 oz. You can get 2oz. payloads out of a 3" shell.

I cant help with a semi auto.I use a 870 Supermag.I can tell you that I wish I paid more attention before I bought mine and I probably would have went with a 20.A lot of people on Oldgobbler.com are getting awesome patterns and knocking down birds past 40 yards with 20's.Most are shooting federals HW #7's.Just my 2 cents on that.For a semi I have 4 friends that run 3 1/2 inch guns.One has a Benelli SBE2,one has a mossberg 935 and 3 have Stoeger 3500.All like them and all get used pretty well.The one that's amazed me(basically because I know how the guy treats his equipment) is one of the stoegers.Feeds anything you throw at it.He uses it for waterfowl and shoots cases a year between that and trap.

I patterned my son's 20 gauge 870 with 3" Hevi Shot Magnum Blend alongside my Benelli 12 gauge Super Vinci with 3.5" of the same........at 35 yards if you trimmed away all the pattern on the target and just kept the part showing the Turkey's head, you would have a tough time picking which is which..............and back to the original question, I've heard nothing but good about the Versa Max.