Black bear safety

Borngeechee

Born, the odds are high you will get a permit because in the permit drawing, there are often fewer requests for a permit than there are permits available.  They sell them over the counter after that until all are sold.

What zone did you apply for and where in NJ are you planning to hunt?

As far as protection needed, nobody has ever been attacked by a black bear in most of NJ's bear hunting zones.  It happened to a group of college kids who scattered, ran from it and didn't try yelling at it or making themselves look big to it, all tactics that may have helped scare it off.  

You can carry a can of bear spray if you like, but having a license to hunt in NJ allows small game hunting as well.  You will be able to scout while hunting with a shotgun for grouse and squirrel.  Why not hunt while you scout?  You can't carry any buckshot or slugs with you for small game though.  However, if needed, a load of 12 gauge #6 bird shot delivered point blank to a bear's vitals or head, will be quite effective.

In the past, NJ required all bear hunters to take a class on bear hunting in order to get a first time bear permit.  Did you need to do that?  

Born, the odds are high you will get a permit because in the permit drawing, there are often fewer requests for a permit than there are permits available. They sell them over the counter after that until all are sold.

What zone did you apply for and where in NJ are you planning to hunt?

As far as protection needed, nobody has ever been attacked by a black bear in most of NJ's bear hunting zones. It happened to a group of college kids who scattered, ran from it and didn't try yelling at it or making themselves look big to it, all tactics that may have helped scare it off.

You can carry a can of bear spray if you like, but having a license to hunt in NJ allows small game hunting as well. You will be able to scout while hunting with a shotgun for grouse and squirrel. Why not hunt while you scout? You can't carry any buckshot or slugs with you for small game though. However, if needed, a load of 12 gauge #6 bird shot delivered point blank to a bear's vitals or head, will be quite effective.

In the past, NJ required all bear hunters to take a class on bear hunting in order to get a first time bear permit. Did you need to do that?

I went on their site and it looks like I can't apply for it until september. I didn't see anything regarding classes. The only thing they wanted was a previous years license or a hunters safety class certification, child support info if applicable and for you to get a hunter id number from them before y I u apply.

I called NJ F&W to ask some questions @ 609-292-2965.  (Feel free to call them with any questions you may have)

They said you no longer have to take the bear hunting class to get the permit.  Licenses run from 1/1/15 to 12/31/15, so you can buy your non-resident license now if you like, but the permit application has to wait until Sept.  You can hunt big game, as well as small game with your license.  Just check what seasons are open when you wish to hunt.  Small game is not open during big game season, but it is when you are scouting prior to big game season.  I think big game season will open on 12/7/15 and run through 12/12/15.  It opens on a Monday every year.

You can hunt antlered deer and bear at the same time when you have a bear permit, as buck deer and bear season is the same 6 day season.  

Most bear are taken in Sussex County, NJ.  That's the area I would advise you apply for a permit.  Lot's of public land open for bear hunting there as well.  I believe this area also allows taking any antlered buck you see with at least 3 inches of antler.

There is no hunting on Sunday in NJ except during bow deer, and only on State WMA's and private land.

Edited by Mr VJP
  • Like 1

I called NJ F&W to ask some questions @ 609-292-2965. (Feel free to call them with any questions you may have)

They said you no longer have to take the bear hunting class to get the permit. Licenses run from 1/1/15 to 12/31/15, so you can buy your non-resident license now if you like, but the permit application has to wait until Sept. You can hunt big game, as well as small game with your license. Just check what seasons are open when you wish to hunt. Small game is not open during big game season, but it is when you are scouting prior to big game season. I think big game season will open on 12/7/15 and run through 12/12/15. It opens on a Monday every year.

You can hunt antlered deer and bear at the same time when you have a bear permit, as buck deer and bear season is the same 6 day season.

Most bear are taken in Sussex County, NJ. That's the area I would advise you apply for a permit. Lot's of public land open for bear hunting there as well. I believe this area also allows taking any antlered buck you see with at least 3 inches of antler.

You're the Man VJP yea I was def looking at Sussex and Warren, they have the highest beer population respectively. I'm going pick up that non resident a lil closer to beer season and who knows I might get lucky with an NY and NJ deer and a Jersey bear. That would make for an awesome year.
  • Like 1

You're the Man VJP yea I was def looking at Sussex and Warren, they have the highest beer population respectively. I'm going pick up that non resident a lil closer to beer season and who knows I might get lucky with an NY and NJ deer and a Jersey bear. That would make for an awesome year.

theres a lot less beer in Sussex since I was there last week
  • Like 3

Nj F&G is talking about a 2 bear limit for 2015 and opening the bow season for bear hunting too. A lot of bow hunters complain that they see more bears than deer in earlier bow seasons. Two of my friends had bears following them while dragging deer back to their trucks last year. Makes you think twice about tracking a hit deer in the dark.

Most of the bears are denned up by the time the 6 day shotgun season opens and F&G wants a larger harvest.

Nj F&G is talking about a 2 bear limit for 2015 and opening the bow season for bear hunting too. A lot of bow hunters complain that they see more bears than deer in earlier bow seasons. Two of my friends had bears following them while dragging deer back to their trucks last year. Makes you think twice about tracking a hit deer in the dark.

Most of the bears are denned up by the time the 6 day shotgun season opens and F&G wants a larger harvest.

I didn't realize it was shotgun only. Guess I have to dust off the h&r 20 gauge.

Yes, it is shotgun only.  Slugs are best.  Rifled barrels are the norm too.  Muzzleloading rifles are allowed too, but you need to have a NJ Rifle permit to hunt with one.  I've had mine for so long, I'm not sure what it takes to get one anymore.  I think you just apply and pay for it.

Yes, it is shotgun only. Slugs are best. Rifled barrels are the norm too. Muzzleloading rifles are allowed too, but you need to have a NJ Rifle permit to hunt with one. I've had mine for so long, I'm not sure what it takes to get one anymore. I think you just apply and pay for it.

Yea mine is the ultra hunter with the heavy rifled barrel. Was planning on taking a different firearm but I think this will do just fine if I get lucky enough to get a shot at one.

Most of the guys that I hunt with in NJ have no intention of shooting a bear including me. We see them all the time when hunting. We also see quit a few of them ( about 2 per week ) just walking through the neighborhood. I just saw a 150 pounder yesterday afternoon while walking with my wife, it was feeding in a skunk cabbage patch and was only 20 yards from the trail, it never even lifted its head to look at us, they are almost tame. After shooting three of them the novelty kind of wears off and I don't like the taste of bear meat either. So I encourage you to come and thin them out for us.

• Like 1

As far as protection while scouting, I would follow the  example of the guides, etc. who are out there daily. Don't worry about it, they don't.. Bears are far more alert than we are. They are high tailing it in the opposite direction way before you are in eyesight.

• Like 1

Be cognizant of the bears main food source. If it is feeding on garbage guess what the meat will taste like. If its feeding on berries and other prime food sources you are in for some good eating. Steve Rinella put up a video of him frying his bear meat in bear fat. I heard bear fat is some of the best fat as long as it has a healthy diet as I stated above.

Be cognizant of the bears main food source. If it is feeding on garbage guess what the meat will taste like. If its feeding on berries and other prime food sources you are in for some good eating. Steve Rinella put up a video of him frying his bear meat in bear fat. I heard bear fat is some of the best fat as long as it has a healthy diet as I stated above.

Rinella also shared his experience with Trichinosis after eating improperly cooked bear meat.....you also gotta make sure that it's cooked thoroughly.

• Like 1