Over seeding hay field

Where you are I doubt there will be any frost heaving going on...but perhaps...if you have access to a harrow drag or a york rake you could go in and scratch up the field lightly just before a storm...and then spread the seed but you'll need more seed than if you were planting a mixed seeded hay field on prepared ground...if you have a roller  or even a ATV to drive over the area after planting wouldn't hurt...well unless the tires are like my Gator and the ground is soft...something with less aggressive tread

it depends on how big the hay field is and what equipment you have and can get to the field.  without tilling it up you risk not having an enough seed to soil contact and are then wasting money toward seed and stuff that won't germinate.  unless you have plows, heavy discs, and the means/help to pick the baseball sized rocks out of the field it maybe hard to break up and through the sod and plant right away.  you may just want to spray with selective (to kill just grass) or non selective herbicide then let things break down and dry up.  then go over it with cultivators or drags multiple but going back separate times.  make sure you have a means to mow the clover to keep it that without weeds springing up in spots with less germination.  frost seeding in very early spring (not now) can be productive but you still have some loss.

The field is about 2 acres there is a farmer who mows it for bedding but he told me if I want to plant whatever he will do it for a price. I don't have a lot of money. The deer go there now but was thinking if I could put something there that would benefit them more.

Spray the inside corners to kill just grass and over seed, clover I'd wetter soil alfalfa if dryer, I would not do whole field as you want the game in range 30 yards from woods edge, for bow.

Edited by G-Man

I would use Round Up wait 2 weeks then use Round Up again. Then ruff up the ground so as not to disturb any dormant weed seeds. Then plant clover as per instructions on bag. The best time to plant clover is in the fall, so weeds can not take over and shade out the clover. Clover mostly establishes its roots the first year.

if your thinking of alfalfa ...do a soil test first...it is lime sensitive...in that...you need to make sure you've added enough lime to bring your PH levels to 6.5 or greater for a good outcome. That is if they aren't already....it's also weed sensitive when first growing(crowding)