New Ruger American Predator

gfdeputy2

I got my New R.A.P. in .308 the other night installed a Nikon Buckmaster 4-12 X 40 BDC & borrowed my daughters bi-pod
bore sighted took some shots at 50 yards dialed it in & these are the first two shots @105 yards started raining really good so this is as far as I got. If the weather breaks this weekend I will be testing to at least 300 yards

165 grain Federal Fusions

post-555-0-93563000-1429782558_thumb.jpg

post-555-0-77276100-1429782578_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Not to highjack your thread, but that reminds me of a story.

A few years back, in my former home in my former life, I had been losing chickens to some kind of critter.

I awoke in the middle of the night to the sounds of chickens cackling.

I jumped out of bed in my pajamas ( which means NOTHING since I've never OWNED a pair of pajamas) and looked out the back door toward the chicken coop. There was a red fox trying to break into the henhouse.

I picked up my ex-wife's Rem 1100 20 gauge, which was leaning in the corner by the back door for JUST such an occasion, cracked the door open and cycled in a round.

The fox must have heard the sound, because he stopped digging and stood broadside, looking in my direction.

His mistake...I stood BUCK NAKED in my kitchen, and dropped him in his tracks with a load of copper plated #6 shot.

Then I went back to bed...the wife never even heard the shot...

• Like 1

that is funny!

Well my brother inlaw just watched the film from his newly installed security cameras

two fox 5 chickens done withen a couple minutes & we never heard a thing His wife spotted one fox running across the back yard. I knew instantly it wasn't going to be pretty

that is funny!

Well my brother inlaw just watched the film from his newly installed security cameras

two fox 5 chickens done withen a couple minutes & we never heard a thing His wife spotted one fox running across the back yard. I knew instantly it wasn't going to be pretty

Time for some traps!

• Like 1

yea I could use a suppressor for some spots but then again I'd have to shoot sub-sonic ammo and I don't want to do that.  seems like a nice setup.  the extra magnification greatly helps when shooting varmints.  12x makes for a small chuck out over a few hundred yards but you should be more capable reaching out there and farther.  I shoot Federal Fusions 150gr out of my 30-06 deer rifle and they seem very consistent.  I just got my chuck gun sighted in a week ago.

• Like 1

dbHunterNY:

I have always had good luck with Federal ammo it is what Ruger used tpo recommend in their rifles when I worked there years ago & have stuck with them. I used to use the Power shock but switched to the Fusion a few years back & have not used anything else since. I may have to look at Hornady for the 130 grain for the varmit round

Shoot & see's work great.

Machinist:

Yes Suppresors are legal in NH & currently a bill is in the state house for use during hunting seasons (too many people from Mass. moving up here complaining about the noise) we can open carry without a permit, concealed with permit which usually takes less then a week to get. We can even have full auto firearms through the proper paperwork & permits Oh & the money. We are not called the Live Free or Die state for nothing LOL. If we keep getting people moving into NH from Liberal communist states like Ma & Ct trying to change the way NH is we won't be like this for long

• Like 3

dbHunterNY:

I have always had good luck with Federal ammo it is what Ruger used tpo recommend in their rifles when I worked there years ago & have stuck with them. I used to use the Power shock but switched to the Fusion a few years back & have not used anything else since. I may have to look at Hornady for the 130 grain for the varmit round

Shoot & see's work great.

Machinist:

Yes Suppresors are legal in NH & currently a bill is in the state house for use during hunting seasons (too many people from Mass. moving up here complaining about the noise) we can open carry without a permit, concealed with permit which usually takes less then a week to get. We can even have full auto firearms through the proper paperwork & permits Oh & the money. We are not called the Live Free or Die state for nothing LOL. If we keep getting people moving into NH from Liberal communist states like Ma & Ct trying to change the way NH is we won't be like this for long

hornady has there 125gr sst but not sure you'll find it loaded to shoot flat at varmint stuff unless you load it yourself.  not sure others really offer factory loads for varmints either.  you pretty much should just roll with the Fusions.

something like fox or something else you'd get a pelt out of I'd probably get close and use the 22.  otherwise I'd shoot FMJ ammo.  it'd still be humane but maybe not blow the thing up nearly as bad.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1