After 9 turkey hunting

Ocdeerhunter

Once the hens start sitting on clutches of egg later in the season, from about 10:30 AM until the legal cut off at noon can be the most productive times.

When the hens give the gobbler the slip to sit on their eggs, the horny old Tom gets lonely.

He'll come looking for love when he hears your calls.

• Like 3

I've killed lots of gobblers late in the morning.

They don't gobble as much on their own, but if you can get a tom to respond late morning to midday, you have a better chance to kill him than if you hear him at dawn.

Last spring I killed one of the best all around gobblers I have ever killed. 22 1/4 pounds, 10 " + beard and 1 1/4" spurs..He bit the dust at 11:15 AM..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

Hhhmm after 9 alright...one shot gun blast from neighbors about 30 mins ago...waited and waited for another "target"shot...nope :dontknow: Well he must really have the gun sighted in well , needing only one shot ...or.....

At about $8 a pull I only shoot once to make sure gun didn't get bumped in the safe  when I put it on paper ever year before season

• Like 1

After I am confident they are off their roost and out of the area I am sitting, if I don't hear any birds, i go commando on them.

What I mean, is for as sharp as eyesight they have, they are equally as dumb.

Don't be affraid to get up and walk, go find them, and actually scare them to the point they all seperate.   If you sit back down and are very, very quiet for about 10-15 minute then start some light calling, I have been very succesful in bringing birds back in again.  They want to flock back up.  And, if that Tom lost his girl in the commotion, you can bet he will respond.

Sometimes people get too strategic and careful with Turkey.  They are not deer!  They do not have a memory like a deer.  They will come back to a call as long as you give it a bit of time and the entire flock didn't stay together and head off together.

After I am confident they are off their roost and out of the area I am sitting, if I don't hear any birds, i go commando on them.

What I mean, is for as sharp as eyesight they have, they are equally as dumb.

Don't be affraid to get up and walk, go find them, and actually scare them to the point they all seperate.   If you sit back down and are very, very quiet for about 10-15 minute then start some light calling, I have been very succesful in bringing birds back in again.  They want to flock back up.  And, if that Tom lost his girl in the commotion, you can bet he will respond.

Sometimes people get too strategic and careful with Turkey.  They are not deer!  They do not have a memory like a deer.  They will come back to a call as long as you give it a bit of time and the entire flock didn't stay together and head off together.

So turkey hunting really isn't your thing? A turkey is probably the smartest animal in the woods. What you are describing sometimes works in the fall good luck in the spring. No they are not deer if they were they would be easy to get. Spook a deer the run a short distance and stop to see what scared them. Spook a turkey it is gone. Turkey can remember calls and if you spook them or miss or they just feel something isn't right when comeing in they are gone and remember that call sound and will not even answer it and even if they are talking and hear that call they will shut up and leave.

• Like 3