Recomendations for a small 12 year old for bird hunting

Two Track

My 12 year old daughter recently got her Hunter Safety certificate and wants to go bird hunting (turkey and pheasant mainly).

She is on the small size and don't think she can handle a 20 or 16 gauge.  So I am looking into a getting a used 410 for her.

To keep it simple, not looking for a pump or semi-auto.  So I am thinking about a break-action or a bolt action.

I had her try the hammer on a H&R youth 20 gauge slug gun, It was very hard for her to cock it back,  The gun fit her but was too heavy.

The Mossberg Bantam youth fits, but they do not keep a 410 in stock and she doesn't like the camo or all black stocks either.  She prefers the wood stocks.

I was thinking about a Steven's model 59A bolt action with 3 round capacity. or something double-barreled.

Want to keep it under $200 as never know if she will decide later that hunting is not for her.

Any suggestions?

Sounds like a .410 is the way to go. I bought my son a Rossi single shot 410, when he was a little guy,6 or 7years old. He had no problems cocking or firing  it. It also came with a single shot 22LR barrel. I think it was $100 brand new.

I hate to see a kid get discouraged as much as getting scared of shooting. Have you tried her on any shotguns? I love my 410 for bunnies but I have knocked feathers off pheasants and had them fly away with it. a 20 with low game loads to practice, a really good recoil pad on the stock and when on game she won't even notice if you put high brass loads in.  IMO

• Like 1

I hate to see a kid get discouraged as much as getting scared of shooting. Have you tried her on any shotguns? I love my 410 for bunnies but I have knocked feathers off pheasants and had them fly away with it. a 20 with low game loads to practice, a really good recoil pad on the stock and when on game she won't even notice if you put high brass loads in.  IMO

that's what I did with my kids, they only shot with skeet loads when practicing and I would stick the 3" magnums in when we went turkey hunting.........they never noticed.

• Like 2

She has shot a 22 and a youth sized 410 during her Hunter Safety course and hit the targets.

She watched the 15-16 year olds get kicked with the 20 gauge and thought it would be too much, which I kind of agreed with.

She is thin framed and short for age, a little over 4' tall.

If my uncle wasn't overseas on another stint, I would check to see if he still had his single shot 410 and if he would loan it to her.

I have read mixed ratings on the Rossi's.  Some good, others that it is a piece junk (sights way off, parts breaking easily, etc.)  So am a little leary on them.  Which are better of the Rossi's older or newer?

Local gun shop's hours are shorter than my work hours, so can't really look until after Sat. Turkey hunt.

Just needed some ideas before going there.

She helps me clean pheasant and squirrel, so the dead animal and entrails are not an issue.  Just don't know her reaction when kills a game animal for the first time.

I agree with previous posters, 410 isn't enough gun to do anything but maim or wound.  But, there's always the 28.  I hunt with a woman who is pure hell on pheasants with a 28.  Turkeys, well I can't really speak to that.

In any case, good luck and thanks for filling the ranks.

I agree with previous posters, 410 isn't enough gun to do anything but maim or wound. But, there's always the 28. I hunt with a woman who is pure hell on pheasants with a 28. Turkeys, well I can't really speak to that.

In any case, good luck and thanks for filling the ranks.

Winchester has 28 ga 1 oz high brass loads @ 1205 fps.

They are very potent for pheasant and would certainly do the job on turkeys if the range isn't stretched.

That's 1/3 more payload of than .410.

3/4 oz target loads would be equivalent to 3" .401 loads.

from what I've seen, 28 gauge may be harder to find in some makes of guns as well as it not offering a big assortment of ammo.......I still would shy away from the .410 for turkey.

Walmart carries 28 ga target loads & the Winchester high brass are sold at Gander Mountain.

Options in 28 ga guns is limited.

For turkeys, I would skip the shotgun altogether and get her a crossbow.  They recoil less than a .22 rim-fire.  As far as I know, they are now legal throughout turkey season.     A Barnett Recruit would be a good selection for her.  The stock is fully adjustable for a small kid to a large adult.     I would bet she could hit a tennis ball consistently, from a rest, at 40 yards with the stock red-dot sight.   She would have a much better chance of a clean kill on a turkey with that than a .410.   In a couple years she could use the same weapon for deer.   If you have to go with a shotgun, I would go with a gas-operated 20 ga. like a Remington 1100.  That would be perfect for pheasants and adequate for turkeys at shorter ranges (less than 30 yards).  In hunting situations in NY, the 410 is a good squirrel gun, but that is about it.   If they ever open a dove season, it would do a good job on those little birds.   I do love shooting trap with my 410 as it is a real challenge.  I have an old Winchester mod. 20 break action 410 that my granddad bought for my mother when she was about 12.  It is a sweet little gun and I hope to get my 11 and 12 year old daughters squirrel hunting with it some day, and maybe shooting a few clay birds.  Trap is like shooting ducks in a barrel for me with a 12 gauge.   I don't like challenges with live game though as I think it shows a disrespect for the game and increases the chances of wounding.      

Edited by wolc123

Crossbow on a turkey for a beginner? You can't be serious.... nothing worse than a bit off shot for the first kill and she will see the bird flopping for hours...damage done for life. Naaa, thanks, I would recommend stick to shotguns.

I would go with a multi-barel set. I would shy away from 410s. It may someday be considered handgun ammo; it is expensive, and the configuration of the shell creates poor patterning. I wouldn't even go with a 28, ammo for the off gauges: 410, 28, 16, and 10 are expensive and hard to find. Try to find a set with a 20 and 12 gauge and sell the third barrel. 

http://www.gundogmag.com/gear-accessories/tools_trade_shotguns_gd_multiple_0810/

Edited by mike rossi

I've been shooting 16 gauge since the mid-eighty's.  Never an issue finding 6's for rabbit/squirrel/pheasant.  Usually can get the sluggs close to deer season without an issue too.

I have got almost a full box of 2 & 8's as well.  I just don't have a 16 that fits her.

Thought a 410 may be light on a turkey, but I would be there to follow-up with my gun in case she had a bad shot.

Not picking up a crossbow for her.  She can't pull back a 40 lb recurve, and i can picture her wanting to feel the bolt head.

Can you change a barrel on an H&R 1871 youth 20 gauge slug gun (single-shot) that was not a combo package?

Edited by Two Track

i have a old old moss 500AT my dad gave me , went to sight in the scope for deer

seasion and 4 shots later i was done with bruse on shoulder , that thing kicked like a

mule, toosed it in the corner and there it sat for the last 20 yrs. I finally dug it out

last yr and decied i was going to use this gun again. went and got a nice 1 inch thick

recoil pad , cut the stock down for the new pad, Also filled the hole in the stock

with #9 shot to add some weight. totally different gun now. no more black n blue

shoulder.

A youth 20ga and a good recoil pad , light loads and i bet she will have fun.

Last weekend my daughter was feeling a bit under the weather and had a Girl Scout event to attend to, so we have not tried anything out yet.

We scrunged up a 16 SXS in the family that she can shoulder and work the safety.  The barrel is long for her, but the LOP fits.  May need to find a recoil for it.

Hopefully get to have her try a couple shots with it this weekend using either 6's or 8's.  If it works out, she will use it with 6's for hunting.

My daughter is 12 and very petite in stature (picture ballet thin) She shoots a youth 870 20 gauge. Only have shot low brass field loads on paper. she handles the gun very well and doesn't mind the kick. When it comes time for turkey next year I'll just stuff high brass in. Adrenalin going, never know the difference.

• 2 months later...

I went thru this thought process with my now 13 year old for some time. 

I picked up a used (about 1970) georgous 20 gauge 870 Wingmaster in the low $200's.

Cheap enough to gunsmith up and shorten the stock or add a good recoil pad.

He's working his scout rifle merit badge before shotgun but I blinked and he is now 5'10".

It is a bit long and awkward and have since also picked up a 20 gauge English grip Citori at a great price ($750).

Would work great for a petite girl or woman.

Bill

The 28 ga advice is on the money. A 410 is an expert gun. Too little shot n you either rat hole the game or miss em w tight chokes or open the chokes n shoot 15 yards. All bad stuff.

For turks you can use a 20. Don't let her shoot turk loads. You pattern n sight in if necessary n let her only shoot light loads.

My girls are petite n with proper training n technique they came along to where my 15 year old 2 years ago was shooting a 300 win mag.

I teach Hunter Ed. The break open gun thing makes me nervous. The students must shoot in front of you in NJ.

Picture a fairly calm class, safeties don't come off til the target is identified and a safe shot presents itself.

Ok so we throw a bird out for the student, it comes out clean, hammer on the break action gets worked, ugh bird's out of range n now the kid looks around for advice w a loaded gun.

Seems silly n they certainly shouldn't be moving toward game or walking at all w a hammer back.

You delimma will be between a light gun, normally a pump or a heavier softer kicking semi. My younger one shot the pump at ten, it was a 20.

Use double hearing protection for her, the gun will seem less noisy n seem to kick less. Beware of a proper stance, improper form can lead to more felt recoil and the loss of an interested kid.

Good luck