Attitudes

They have their place, but it's not riding through the woods at dawn on your way to the stand. I'm all for them being used by older or handicapped hunters and to haul deer out etc. If you're able though, I think you should hoof it in and out. Getting there is half the experience & a 4 wheeler will rob you of that. We get a lot of them trespassing on our property so I have a bad taste about them in general. I'm sure most guys who use them are responsible, but just like bikers, a few make the rest look like tools.

• Like 6

I use mine for moving stands,hauling out deer,odd jobs around our property and the farm I hunt. They are a very handy tool that saves a lot of time and effort. That being said we never drive to our stands to hunt. We may use them to get up in the back part of the property,within a few hundred yards of where we will be hunting. I have a 2008 Yamaha grizzly and a 2010 Honda rancher. As I get a little older,I am glad to have them when I need them. I suppose I could get by without them,but why. They are just another tool.

• Like 4

Use my utv for most outdoor needs except going to and from my stand. Its a very useful and versatile piece of equipment. Most deer i drag out, but the utv saved the day a couple years ago when i had to haul a 230lb sow off the highest point of my property, what would have been a 1/2 day to get her out only took a 1/2 hr. With the utv.

Still not really understanding the original post.  They are illegal to ride almost anywhere but on private property, no?  So, why would anyone have a problem with what someone else does on their own land?

• Like 2

I really disliked our ATV and rarely used it...the Gator Mr B got because of my injury I love....now as you know injury or not I only used it a handful of times to get to the stand and that was just to the drive. Then walked the rest of the way...I do not like letting the animals ...both four legged and a few knuckle draggers in the area..... knowing where I'll be hunting. Also half the time I don't know until I hear whats going on as I walk in or see in the afternoon hunts...The ability to pack up the saw and oil, spare chain, and carry my tool chest when I go into work is crazy great...

As the older ppl here know well...as one ages...EVERYTHING(Lord I'm going to regret this)  takes longer to accomplish...anything that saves time is a blessing....and ya dragging deer out..well part way to machine is nice but 1/2 mile up hill on rough terrain...I have nothing to prove to anyone...let the machine carry them!

• Like 4

I think the term "lazy hunter" is "over used" by those feeling the need to have a disillusion of superiority.

Lazy vs inferior? ....hum you made me think. Close call...but I think I will stick with lazy, considering I have seen more then my fair share of lazy hunters in NY.

Thanks for your insight

Well I guess at 74 years old with a bad hart and shortness of breath it fits me right into being  a  Lazy NY Hunter. I use mine (only hunt my property ) to get to and from my stands. Hauling myself and my gear and if I am lucky bring something back with me.

I belonged to a hunting club and that is all the fellow hunters did on the club property.

The local Kids with there dirt bikes and 3 wheelers were the ones making all the nois and commotion.

I think they have there place.. One spot I hunt is a 3.5 mile in on a wheeler and then a 1 mile walk or so to where I like to hunt.. I have walked the whole thing often ,  Definitely not worth the effort just for  a morning or night hunt.. imo. A real bitch when carrying a stand. Cannot imagine dragging a deer out from back there. The last one I shot back there , the hair was 1/2 wore off just dragging it to the wheeler. lol

Lazy vs inferior? ....hum you made me think. Close call...but I think I will stick with lazy, considering I have seen more then my fair share of lazy hunters in NY.

Thanks for your insight

There is hunting lazy and there is hunting smart.

I don't have an atv because I'm lazy.

I don't knock anyone who chooses not to use one. I too,have walked and dragged deer miles in my time hunting. 

Would I rather walk to work or drive...................hmmm.............I think I'll use the best tool for the job.

• Like 1

Never been on one, period.

If i had a large private property to hunt, I could see having some trails for one to move stands, cart out a deer, or bring out firewood. But would not drive right to the stand, unless mobility impaired from doing so.

By riding, less observation of any tracks, and you can't hear anything but your motor running. Plus no exercise by going hunting.

They have their use, but not currently for me.  Something else to throw money at (add-ons, upgrades, repairs, fuel, registration, insurance)

Lazy hunters?  I wish I had a dollar for every 250lbs + hunter I've seen in my life.   Cabelas probably sells considerably more garments in XXXL than they do in Medium size.  I've seen a good many of these big sized boys ride the 200 yards to their stands on their ATV's instead of walking it.  So you guys can tell me if these fellas should be considered lazy or not?  

• Like 1

They are nice and are a great tool but I do believe that many healthy hunter that are capable of walking would just rather be lazy and use the machine.  In so far as being inferior to me, LOL to each his own I say.  Just because I love being in the woods does not mean everyone has that same logic, some are only out to get a deer and be done.  Does not make him inferior to me just walks to a different tune is all.   

Almost the same concept as using a crossbow in bow season, do I think he is lazy because he just purchased the crossbow.  Again to each his own, just because I do not use a cross bow or a ATV does not mean I think those that do are lazy or inferior to me. 

Enjoy what you do and don't worry about what others do legally.   

• Like 3

I'm young and will use my atv only to haul deer from out property because of the hills we have around. I just don't ride them into my hunting spot before I hunt. I also will ride them for fun So I'm with them. it also helps out my dad who can use it because if he walks to much it just makes his bad ankle swollen and hurt to walk on.

• Like 2