Attitudes

Lazy hunters?  I wish I had a dollar for every 250lbs + hunter I've seen in my life.   Cabelas probably sells considerably more garments in XXXL than they do in Medium size.  I've seen a good many of these big sized boys ride the 200 yards to their stands on their ATV's instead of walking it.  So you guys can tell me if these fellas should be considered lazy or not?  

I would think  there are more overweight hunters that don't ride than do.  (for the record at 250 doesn't have to be over weight and out of shape. Not everyone is a 5' tall midget. lol   No offense Pygmy) 

• Like 2

They have their place, but it's not riding through the woods at dawn on your way to the stand. I'm all for them being used by older or handicapped hunters and to haul deer out etc. If you're able though, I think you should hoof it in and out. Getting there is half the experience & a 4 wheeler will rob you of that. We get a lot of them trespassing on our property so I have a bad taste about them in general. I'm sure most guys who use them are responsible, but just like bikers, a few make the rest look like tools.

I think this post is spot on....if you can walk in the woods that is the experience that no one should miss out on....but there are times when late arrival that it does make it a lot quicker to get set up....again people with injury or inability to get out there without one I could care less if they hunt from it at least they are out there doing what they love....now guys who drive their property shooting deer off them bc they don't want to walk isn't right....my atv makes getting deer out and trapping with my kids way way easier......so I'm all for them

O and as a rider of bikes quads ....i do think most landowners are ****************** about quads and bikes especially when they let sleds thru them all winter I think that's discrimination just bc I'll ride my bike in the snow and I still can ride the paths wth....

Well I have admitted more that once That I'm not a small woman...and I'm damn well not lazy... so I do not really  give a hoot in hell whether someone thinks a big sized hunter is lazy or not . Whether driving a ATV/UTV makes a lazy hunter...I'd dare them to keep up with me....There's only one opinion I need to worry about when it comes to me...MINE...for I'm the one that has to live with it....Every other opinion is just hot air.

• Like 7

I think this post is spot on....if you can walk in the woods that is the experience that no one should miss out on....but there are times when late arrival that it does make it a lot quicker to get set up....again people with injury or inability to get out there without one I could care less if they hunt from it at least they are out there doing what they love....now guys who drive their property shooting deer off them bc they don't want to walk isn't right....my atv makes getting deer out and trapping with my kids way way easier......so I'm all for them

O and as a rider of bikes quads ....i do think most landowners are ****************** about quads and bikes especially when they let sleds thru them all winter I think that's discrimination just bc I'll ride my bike in the snow and I still can ride the paths wth....

I guess I don't get it. Can we agree on a couple things. Can't use them on State land---Illegal. Can't shoot from them= illegal ( unless you have a special permit for disability). With that said who am I or anyone else to tell a hunter what their experience should be, the amount of effort that should be put in or any other host of "if you don't do it like me you aren't doing it right" comments I see on here every year. Who gives a rats rear end as long as they are within the laws, I say get out there by any means you want, enjoy your time and good luck. Virgil hit in on the head, they are on private land everyone should mind their own damned business. (this was in general and not bashing your comment)

• Like 6

They are pretty useless for the price,just toys really, and it seems alot of people own them and have no place to ride, I see them.getting bigger and bigger and now have become side by sides, really its cheaper to buy an old jeep cj and do more or a used tractor and do every thing you want.. to light for most work that needs to be done on a property...

I guess I don't get it. Can we agree on a couple things. Can't use them on State land---Illegal. Can't shoot from them= illegal ( unless you have a special permit for disability). With that said who am I or anyone else to tell a hunter what their experience should be, the amount of effort that should be put in or any other host of "if you don't do it like me you aren't doing it right" comments I see on here every year. Who gives a rats rear end as long as they are within the laws, I say get out there by any means you want, enjoy your time and good luck. Virgil hit in on the head, they are on private land everyone should mind their own damned business. (this was in general and not bashing your comment)

Yep...all I was saying from the shoot from them is I personally know guys one being my dad who even if they park at the stand still couldn't get up it or sit on the ground for long....if guys like that wanted to sit on them for the comfort of it I would look the other way....my old man's refuses to slow down works 50+ a week and pushes himself in the woods it's not a bad thing but not good either sometimes I wish he'd just take a day and stay on the quad....ik my plan this year is some nice easily accessible stands and blinds hopefully within a few months...
  • Like 1

They are pretty useless for the price,just toys really, and it seems alot of people own them and have no place to ride, I see them.getting bigger and bigger and now have become side by sides, really its cheaper to buy an old jeep cj and do more or a used tractor and do every thing you want.. to light for most work that needs to be done on a property...

I've never shot a deer that I couldn't get within about 50' of. I love 50' drags...lol

• Like 1

I can never get one, my buddies out west pack out deer and elk on the back ten miles sometimes, they already laugh at my half mile to mile drags !

Call me a flatlander and tenderfoot .

One time we were elk hunting in waist deep snow 2 miles from our tents, I said to myself any elk that may come by gets to live......

I've never shot a deer that I couldn't get within about 50' of. I love 50' drags...lol

yep I have logging roads and 50 ft is far drag to any of them my little tractor can pull 5 deer and hunters all out at same time at end of a drive, and is 1/10 the cost of an atv

Never minded snowmobiles as they dot tear up trails,fields,ect and really help pass time in winter....

I don't believe that personally the trails run all around me and every thaw can see the damage from guys riding before the ground freezes....my bike or quad is no worse....i understand that not all riders treat the land with respect but neither do the snowmobile clubs either....it's just bs in my opinion that sleds get free pass everywhere but yet on a quad your a criminal...
  • Like 1

Boy , we went from ATV's to UTV's,Tractors Bikes  and now Snowmobiles.

I can say that every land owner and the weekenders have at least one of each by me.At or around May 30'th the woods and roads are buzzing with the sound of 2 and four stroke engines. Guess what the animals get use to the sounds they make and know when to come out and feed and when to hide.

Good example Opening day of rifle season, drove right up to my ground blind and parked the ATV right out side of it. Within 15 minutes I had 3 doe feeding 15 feet away from the blind and the smell of the warm ATV engine did not spook them at all, thy just took there time feeding and walked off with out a worry.

It might be different in the deep woods where they are not common but not here were one of the above are used every day.

• Like 2

If you have no place to ride, I agree it could be a very expensive toy.

I have about 30 acres with woods, hills and thick brush. My ATV cuts the field (drag behind rough cut mower). The mower also allows me to make trails through the brush. A tractor would make wider trails than I can make with the ATV. I have an attachment which also lets me drag the horse ring. A 1500b capacity dump wagon makes lugging firewood and materials easy. A tractor would be overkill for my needs (although I still would like one). It also couldn't get into some of the areas I need to access on my property (Stone walls, steep hills, thick growth). I was surprised at how useful these things can be.

The side benefit is that the ATV is also fun to ride. I don't use it as much for "fun" since the novelty wore off, but my kids, nieces, nephews and friends who visit put plenty of hours on it. That's something you don't get with a tractor. It amazes me how much fun they can have driving that thing around.

About the only thing where a tractor would beat the ATV - for MY needs - is a loader. However for the limited/infrequent loader needs, it is much more cost effective to rent a bobcat once every few years.

YMMV.

• Like 1

An old Kubota 4 wheel dr. 12.5 horse, and I can get a half dozen 8n for 500.00 or less. Big auction in Angelica every spring. And lots of old international cubs around as well. Lot more useful.than an atv although they don't run 40mph I don't do that in woods anyway.

My nephews want tractor rides all the time, I have several tractors as i plant larger fields as well 80 hp down to 12.5, the 12.5 is a deer retriever, put pallet jack on rear with 4 ft x4ft platform, roll bar has gun rack fixed on it, 4 wheel drive 50 in wide, I've had it places an atv won't go, if it can push the tree over it goes ... 4 ft hog on rear cuts about anything. Pulls wood wagon (2 cord of wood) and pto runs sprayer, as well as spreader. Most atvs I've seen are.pushed to the max to do what this little tractor does, I even used it to pull down an old farm.house. no belts to slip squeel, break. My one friend used his atvs like you do , finally got a tractor (used) and atvs sit except.holiday weekend when grandkids use them, big toys trying to do jobs they wernt designed for. So they keep.making them bigger,wider and more hp and price is 10000 or more , if you want a toy fine ,that's really what they are.

I have the old international cub for pulling out firewood and other duties. Got it from an old farmer friend for $500 about 10 years ago. I love that thing! But I love my atv's too. Use whatever works for you and makes you happy with what you use it for and it's all good.

• Like 2

I bought an ATV in 2009 . I hunt alone and can no longer drag a deer a mile to my vehicle . Yeah , I guess I am just lazy . I leave it on my trailer and don't unload it unless I have a deer to haul out of the woods . When I got rid of my hedges in the yard , I dug at them , cuts roots and pulled them out with the ATV . Worked great . In Geneseo , where I hunt , I can't drive it too far as the ground doesn't drain . This didn't stop trespassers as someone has driven past the Posted Signs and dug up the horse trail .

I use mine to get up to my son's property in Italy Valley . It's a steep climb with water bars , etc .. It also makes it easier to haul ladder stands and put up posted signs .

post-132-0-40445400-1430873314_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-59763100-1430873328_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-44878000-1430873697_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well, I guess I didn't expect some people to get so confused about asking a simple question, but just like anything else, ATVs do get used properly, and also there are some abuses of ATVs. I posted the thread because I was curious which was the majority experience with members here.

Obviously, I think they are a useful tool, since I have owned one in one form or another since the mid-80s. It handles my snow removal, retrieves my deer (sometimes). It gets me to the top of our "killer hill" (aptly named from killing a neighbor from a heart attack), so I can begin hunting up there. And it is in pretty constant use down at the house for doing all kinds of hauling activities. Life would be quite different and probably a lot less active without one. A lot of jobs would never get started without some kind of materials transport.

So all is good with them .... right? Well, not always so. I have discovered some pretty nasty rutted up rogue trails that became erosion problems across the face of the hill from trespassers crossing my property so they can ride illegally on State Land. Yes they can get away with it because it would take an unbelievable stroke of luck to happen to intercept them at the exact time that they decide to go across. See, that's just ATVs doing what they were designed to do .... providing access to places where people would never trespass before or had no ambition to trespass before. Now it's easy. So no, they are not always just simple machines of convenience for those that use them properly, and yes there are some people that probably have some pretty strong feelings against them, and perhaps rightfully so depending on how severe the offenses are.

I also have to admit that the piece and quiet of rural living has definitely changed with the arrival of ATVs, dirt bikes, and all the other gas powered implements that fill our garages. ATVs are just another one of those things that are droning in our ears when we are straining to decide whether that really was a crunch in the leaves that we thought we heard. Ah, but then life is tough all over .... right? .... lol.

• Like 1