permethrin not working for ticks

the blur

25yrs running hounds & bird dogs it was rare to find one. Now in the last 5yrs we found ticks every outing. Go to DOD and read there treatment plan. We use Python dust, and cattle tags on collars.

We dip our training shits and pants in Permethrin and let dry, Sawyers works. I'd pay close attention to cuffs and hat, this has cut down on the ticks but not all.

spent just about every weekend in the woods last year and never saw one using sawyers. didn't us it on the kids and tried some natural stuff cant recall the name but I pulled one tick off my son when we went through a rather thick area that had a trail running through it.

I rub Diametric Earth on my dog before we go in the woods and hit them mid week if needed, love that stuff. keep some on me when camping and toss it on the ground under my tent and around the entry area not a lot just sprinkle it.

My mom told me my grandmother used to keep garlic on her, so this year I been eating a lot of garlic (coworkers hate me) and gonna put a clove in my kids pockets and Maybe in there socks. hate using on the damn chemicals on them.

Edit: Natrapel® 8 hour 6oz. Continuous Spray, stuff works but not for 8 hours like it says. id say maybe 3 hours of good protection if that. though we didn't have issues with mosquito's, I remember pulling one off my smallest kids neck, granted it was only once during the season.

Edited by Vince1

Anything your grandmother told you doesn't apply.   There were no ticks back then. :rolleyes:    These little buggers are spreading like wild fire.   I grew up in the woods, never knew what a tick was.   Now, I need an effective spray, and I'm loosing faith in Permethrin.    Even in higher elevations where I generally don't see ticks, I had some yesterday.    The 25% deet doesn't do anything either.

Boy I'm glad I live where I do. I have never seen a tick on a deer or on any dog or cat or person here. Can't imagine what you people have to deal with, I flipped out on a trip cause I found a bed bug... left that hotel fast. I'd prolly give up hunting if I had to deal with ticks..

• Like 1

Boy I'm glad I live where I do. I have never seen a tick on a deer or on any dog or cat or person here. Can't imagine what you people have to deal with, I flipped out on a trip cause I found a bed bug... left that hotel fast. I'd prolly give up hunting if I had to deal with ticks..

I see you're in Cuba. I hunt (Deer) in Portville off of 305. That place is loaded with ticks. Always has been. 

• Like 1

Yeah south and east is loaded according to friends that hunt there ,but in 30 years plus hunting here and butchering our own deer ,I have yet to see a deer with a tick or.picked one up while hunting or any recreational activity,.. wonder if it is warmer by the river, it's cold on top of my hill. Every year some minus 15 plus for a few days

Keds, deer louse yes but no ticks... I have seen them at my uncles taxidermy shop from other areas but never here. Had a guy show med Keds on his deer saying they were ticks till I showed him the difference. Said he been calling them ticks for years...lol

Yeah south and east is loaded according to friends that hunt there ,but in 30 years plus hunting here and butchering our own deer ,I have yet to see a deer with a tick or.picked one up while hunting or any recreational activity,.. wonder if it is warmer by the river, it's cold on top of my hill. Every year some minus 15 plus for a few days

I have been hunting there for over 30 years and just about every deer we take has ticks. Some are loaded more than others but they all have them. Here at home …nothing.

I have been hunting there for over 30 years and just about every deer we take has ticks. Some are loaded more than others but they all have them. Here at home …nothing.

I live in hinsdale hunt portville Alleghany hinsdale canandaigua (fingerlakes) and the daks It's amazing at how different they can be...down here I've seen them had them on dog but not me or my kids luckily...now up at my parents and the state land up there I've never seen one...wierd

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of that happening before... My procedure for this is as follows...

Spray clothing till damp really concentrating on the cuffs, zippers and waist/neck openings

Put damp clothing in a plastic bag and remove air... Tie a knot in bag.

Let it sit for 24 hours

Remove clothing and let air dry outside...

I find this method really saturates the clothing the best way possible... And I can honestly say since I've been doing this I have not found 1 single tick on me, the wife or my son...

• Like 1

Make sure you use the liquid kind to soak and then dry clothing. I find Sawyer's very spendy, and instead I buy this http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10%25-32oz-Quart/dp/B00061MSS0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1432318174&sr=1-1&keywords=permetherin+10%25

I get a gallon of water and mix 6.5 oz/gallon of the 10% solution to make the 0.5% mixture equivalent of Sawyer's.

I always spray my clothing with this solution in a spray bottle, to the point of saturation, that way I don't have any leftover permethrin mixture to discard (it's very toxic to aquatic life).

The Martin's brand of permetherin I have does NOT contain petroleum distillates, unlike some brands. I highly recommend that if you use this method, you seek out a band that does NOT contain petroleum distillates.

This is off-label use, so use at your own risk. I find it works very, very well but your mileage may vary. Use common sense and follow all label warnings.

• Like 1

Sawyers has worked well for me so far for past couple years that I have used it.

Once last year had a tick crawling on at the end of the season when Sawyers would be pretty-much wearing off and had washed that layer a couple times (got hot and sweated up the outer-layers too when hiking out).

Noticed that it didn't quite keep the mosquitoes out of my face.  This year, spraying a fresh dose of Deet on hat and around neck seems to help.  Just have to keep hands covered with gloves or they target them for a meal.

Don't think I will try garlic thing, bad for at work and will have to beat the wife off with a stick (she's Italian and likes garlic) lol

Edited by Two Track
  • Like 1

In my experience permetherin isn't really a repellant for quick bite-and-go insects like mosquitoes or flies. It acts a bit more slowly and kills critters that stay on you for more than a few seconds, due to the way it impacts their biology. I'm not sure if the Sawyers has a repellant in it (if so it's not listed in the active ingredients, but maybe it's an inert ingredient) to help with mosquitoes. Maybe it does? For fast bugs, DEET is probably your best overall choice as it works well as a repellant.

• Like 1

I think it might be time to shave a few of you hairy monsters down and get you to the vet for your annual flea dips,lol

Maybe a nice new collar will help repel the blood suckers.

I've only brought home 2 or 3 tics on me in my life, but I've killed a few deer that were infested with them in their ears and flicked a few off me in the woods.

That's just another reason I like wearing shorts and t-shirt (or no shirt) afield throughout the spring and summer. You can feel every insect that crawls across your skin and whack 'em off before they sink their teeth in..... most of the time anyhow. The skeeters don't seem to mind ANY of the repellants anymore. It's almost like they are a new breed that is immune to anything I throw at them.

I've never seen those "tiger misquitoes" around here until the last 3 or 4 years. Now they seem like the dominant bug over the smaller one's that used to chew on me.

Edited by wooly