Another DEC abortion on the way...

Trial153

While I like that they are doing something about the population I think the 15 day doe only is stupid.If you want doe killed make it a earn a buck.Fair for everyone and it allows a hunter to go after his buck he has been after all year as soon as he tags a doe.

• Like 4

While I like that they are doing something about the population I think the 15 day doe only is stupid.If you want doe killed make it a earn a buck.Fair for everyone and it allows a hunter to go after his buck he has been after all year as soon as he tags a doe.

earn a buck makes sense............how many guys won't even hunt that portion because they have no need or desire to kill a doe?......make it mandatory in order to get that buck tag..

• Like 1

earn a buck makes sense............how many guys won't even hunt that portion because they have no need or desire to kill a doe?......make it mandatory in order to get that buck tag..

Especially for Long island where the number of FREE town permits don't help the doe numbers come down.

And once again we are attacking a management problem through a campaign of harassing the very people we are expecting to do the population cuts with new additional  rules and regulations. We just love heaping more and more limitations and then sit around wondering why the size of that army of population controllers dwindles every year. Never mind educational efforts or trying to get hunters on the right page of what the DEC is trying to do. No, instead let's just throw more limitations on hunting and then whine about hunters disappearing. We do love our regs, don't we? EAB, ARs, and all kinds of initial programs each designed to take more and more opportunities away, using the blunt force of the regulation stick. I think a little more persuasion, education, and trying to get hunters on the side of cooperation rather than trying to force hunters into buy-in by just throwing new restrictions and limits and harassments at them every year. I'm afraid that all these fancy fad regs is simply going to regulate hunters right out of existence, and the very thing we are trying to do will be driving out exactly the resources that we need to do it.

• Like 1

And once again we are attacking a management problem through a campaign of harassing the very people we are expecting to do the population cuts with new additional  rules and regulations. We just love heaping more and more limitations and then sit around wondering why the size of that army of population controllers dwindles every year. Never mind educational efforts or trying to get hunters on the right page of what the DEC is trying to do. No, instead let's just throw more limitations on hunting and then whine about hunters disappearing. We do love our regs, don't we? EAB, ARs, and all kinds of initial programs each designed to take more and more opportunities away, using the blunt force of the regulation stick. I think a little more persuasion, education, and trying to get hunters on the side of cooperation rather than trying to force hunters into buy-in by just throwing new restrictions and limits and harassments at them every year. I'm afraid that all these fancy fad regs is simply going to regulate hunters right out of existence, and the very thing we are trying to do will be driving out exactly the resources that we need to do it.

Bingo!!

Let me give you a prime example of what the DEC has done IF these regulations go through...This hit the news and I had a property in 8M open up to me...one I could have been hunting for years but declined,well he mentioned it again...just 5miles from the house... Now I will go on a tour with the owner  in June..That equals one less hunter in 8N ...I will also get a permit for 8X,our camp...not usually do I do this, but now I have already started the plans for hunting there ....I normally get 4 tags for 8N but now will wait until Nov1 and apply for the extra 2 tags I get.

So DEC..... this bow hunter will still hunt the way I normally do during early season in 8N but if a doe presents in 8M and 8X, well she will be shot during that 2wk doe only for bow...but I will also be able to shoot that nice buck that may walk by as well.  Because these two places are not my home acreage I just may not fill those tags..in fact I will have less time to try and fill them because I'm not home..unlike the daily hunts I normally take.....Hows that plan working for you now? How many other hunters are making the same type of plans??? Hhhhhmmmm

I do not agree with what they want to do But How many hunters hunt the first 15 days to start with ?.

quite a few I would think..........how many people that have been watching a nice buck all summer want to chance waiting to get a shot at it?

• Like 1

And once again we are attacking a management problem through a campaign of harassing the very people we are expecting to do the population cuts with new additional rules and regulations. We just love heaping more and more limitations and then sit around wondering why the size of that army of population controllers dwindles every year. Never mind educational efforts or trying to get hunters on the right page of what the DEC is trying to do. No, instead let's just throw more limitations on hunting and then whine about hunters disappearing. We do love our regs, don't we? EAB, ARs, and all kinds of initial programs each designed to take more and more opportunities away, using the blunt force of the regulation stick. I think a little more persuasion, education, and trying to get hunters on the side of cooperation rather than trying to force hunters into buy-in by just throwing new restrictions and limits and harassments at them every year. I'm afraid that all these fancy fad regs is simply going to regulate hunters right out of existence, and the very thing we are trying to do will be driving out exactly the resources that we need to do it.

NY had one of the highest hunters per square mile ratios in the country. Stop with the doom and gloom.

As someone already monetized, the problem is that the deer aren't stupid and a lot less land is huntable and they multiply in these sanctuaries.

The way I saw this written...and admittedly might not be the DEC' s line of thought,but the writers.They are pulling this Doe only in certain areas the first 2 weeks as a slap on the wrist to bow hunters...get in line or we will punish you tactic. I see this because such a change without a change in how and when doe tags are given out,is plain counter productive period.

I have a self-imposed policy similar to this new provision. I try to put a doe in the freezer and if possible donate another one. Typically get this done &  over with the 1st week of the SZ bow season. With new proposed regulation, I can then no longer hunt for bucks during Oct 1-15...? Granted, there aren't generally "shooter" bucks criusing around during the daylight hours in this timeframe, but...... If I'm doing my due diligence, why am I being restricted or penalized?

Is an "Earn-A-Buck" policy so difficult for the DEC to comprehend or implement? Not to open the flood gates, but wouldn't it make sense to expand crossbow usage over the entire bow season if getting more people out and anterless deer harvested the primary objective of this new management proposal?

• Like 1

NY had one of the highest hunters per square mile ratios in the country. Stop with the doom and gloom.

All right. That's great news. End of problem....right? Go ahead, you can put your head back in the sand now (or whatever place you've been keeping it stuck in).

Is an "Earn-A-Buck" policy so difficult for the DEC to comprehend or implement? Not to open the flood gates, but wouldn't it make sense to expand crossbow usage over the entire bow season if getting more people out and anterless deer harvested the primary objective of this new management proposal?

Actually, this is the DEC's version of an "Earn-a-Buck". You just have to spend two weeks of doe-only to earn your buck .....lol. Oh, but this applies to the nasty "buck slaying" bow hunters only.

Actually, if the DEC is so concerned about bowhunters wasting that part of the season, why stop with just expanding crossbow usage. If you really want to knock the population down, let's be more straight-up about it and stuff muzzle loaders in there too. Wait a minute .... why stop there? just extend gun season forward and give the gunners that part of the season too. That'll knock the herd down even better. Does that all sound a bit facetious? Well it is on my part. As far as the DEC is concerned .... they probably would think that was a real good idea.

Here is my thought on this.If they want to reduce the amount of Does in some areas , why penalize  the bow hunters and there are many that just bow hunt. They should just open up the early Youth Hunting season 2 weeks ahead of what they now have and make that a Doe only. It will teach the young hunters not to just take a shot at anything that they can do now . I am sure there are many that would love a chance to get out there early in nice weather. Then give them a chance to take what they want in there regular youth hunt season. 

Tags are already abundant. The hunters that have access and hunt are filling them, odds are they fill all they want and giving more tags won't do any good.

Take Suffolk county for example. Tags are a dime a dozen but access is complex, over regulated and a pain in the ass.

Here's a novel idea for the DEC. Find ways to open access to areas in these units that are not getting hunted, open up line of communication with land owners and figure out way to increase the pool of tag holders that have ACESS.

Forget about making increasingly complex regulations and seasons. Fix the issue by making it more simple and go to the heart of the problem.

Edited by Trial153
  • Like 1

Tags are already abundant. The hunters that have access and hunt are filling them, odds are they fill all they want and giving more tags won't do any good.

Take Suffolk county for example. Tags are a dime a dozen but access is complex, over regulated and a pain in the ass.

Here's a novel idea for the DEC. Find ways to open access to areas in these units that are not getting hunted, open up line of communication with land owners and figure out way to increase the pool of tag holders that have ACESS.

Forget about making increasingly complex regulations and seasons. Fix the issue by making it more simple and go to the heart of the problem.

If the problem is strictly  lack of access, then there is no rule or regulation that can be placed on the backs of bowmen that solves that problem. You cannot shoot does only in places that you can't even access. That shows even further how poorly thought out this proposal really is.

• Like 3

All right. That's great news. End of problem....right? Go ahead, you can put your head back in the sand now (or whatever place you've been keeping it stuck in).

I just don't your thinking sometimes. You sound a lot like my dad who is retired and all about hunting. Maybe that's the difference. I'm super passionate about hunting. But with 2 young boys I don't live and die by it. Some of you act like every little change will bring about the end of hunting. There are less gun hunters today then there were 10 years ago yes. But there are more bow hunters, more woman hunters. Hunting is not a publicly traded company. Sales don't have to grow. A slight dip here and there isn't going to lead us into bankruptcy. Especially with an already crowded state. We need more access. More counties and parks need to implement special archery permits to hunt in the burbs. We have that system here in oxford. You pass an archery skills and written test. You're assigned an area and have to harvest 2 doe before you shoot horns. All in basically someone's back yard.

We can certainly discuss the pros and cons of this proposal, but let's just stop with the doom and gloom already.

• Like 1

I just don't your thinking sometimes. You sound a lot like my dad who is retired and all about hunting. Maybe that's the difference. I'm super passionate about hunting. But with 2 young boys I don't live and die by it. Some of you act like every little change will bring about the end of hunting. There are less gun hunters today then there were 10 years ago yes. But there are more bow hunters, more woman hunters. Hunting is not a publicly traded company. Sales don't have to grow. A slight dip here and there isn't going to lead us into bankruptcy. Especially with an already crowded state. We need more access. More counties and parks need to implement special archery permits to hunt in the burbs. We have that system here in oxford. You pass an archery skills and written test. You're assigned an area and have to harvest 2 doe before you shoot horns. All in basically someone's back yard.

We can certainly discuss the pros and cons of this proposal, but let's just stop with the doom and gloom already.

Its going to curtail my hunting. Ruining spots for does?

Its a crap regulation change and is indeed a warning to bowhunters to shoot more does before muzzleloaders are brought in.

Why even own a muzzleloader...just to shoot a doe? The cost outweighs any logical reasoning.

This isnt based on science, its an authoritative penalty to bowhunters for not shooting does.

They need to go otc with doe tags, it literally steps around the access issue. Trust me, there are plenty of people who run out of tags for the various wmus. I mean, seriously, people have to get consignments in these wmus? The dec wants deer dead and hunters have to get consignments? Stupid.

Edited by phade

I just don't your thinking sometimes. You sound a lot like my dad who is retired and all about hunting. Maybe that's the difference. I'm super passionate about hunting. But with 2 young boys I don't live and die by it.

I too raised two boys, and even though my hunting days are probably numbered, I still have a vested interest in not only preserving hunting for those two sons, but also in maintaining a quality of hunt that will maybe keep them enjoying hunting as I have for all these years. Yes, I want the enjoyment of the hunt to last into many generations beyond me, and while that thinking into a future beyond myself may be being replaced by the "me first" thinking, and the thought that all you have to do is to have hunting last through your own lifetime. I try to take a longer view of things. That may be to you a doom and gloom attitude, but to me it is pulling one's head out of the sand and actually facing problems before they become problems, if possible and not trying to see how many hunters we can regulate out of the sport. I understand that not everyone wants to hear that sort of thing, and that it is a lot easier to simply look out for yourself and the hell with the generations of the future. I can't adopt that kind of an attitude and it is specifically because my sons and their offspring have to live in the hunting world that I hand them.

Doom and gloom, or just a realistic view and concern for those that come after me. Well, you have your view and I have mine, but I am thinking that perhaps it is time to listen to your dad. You might just find out that he really does know what he is talking about, and perhaps he also is taking a longer, more experienced view than you are.

Oh here we go another dam fool who wants elected officials to make wildlife management dissensions, when the DEC dose something he doesn't like.
You do understand that the NY Assembly is run by liberal democrats from NYC and we are 1 vote away from that happening in the state senate. This is the same group that wanted the set back for all hunting from 500 to a 1000 ft and they want ban all guns. So quit whingeing. The DEC has to manage more then your little part of deer heaven.

• Like 1