What's the plan?

wooly

What's everyone got planned for the Memorial Day weekend?

I thought I was going to be house/cat sitting for my sister, but now that I'm here, I think I may have been scammed into a water softener re-build /install instead.

Oh well, she has some sweet fresh bloody cow steaks thawing for me to grill up tonight and I need to gather up some logs for the big bon fire after the sun goes down.

Make sure you take a minute this weekend to think about, and thank all the men and women who lost their lives so we can sit around and do whatever the hell we want this weekend. The flag's always flying here, but I try to look at this weekend a little differently than any other day of the year as I get a little older and understand history a little better now.

Enjoy your "holiday" everybody!

Many brave soldiers died on the battle field and wont get another chance to share in our celebrations. Here's to them! :drinks:

• Like 8

Well said woolster......

Honor the Vets!

not sure what will fill the entire weekend but I know at some point I have to go to pick up a car for my kids that I'm buying from the Mermaid. Dan hooked me up with the deal but I have to rent a Uhaul tow dolly to get it back. After that, we are open to suggestions!

• Like 2

Spending time with family and loved ones.Doing some turkey hunting and also some housework.Other than that just being thankful for what I have and thankful for the people that have sacrificed for people like myself.Thank a vet if you see one!!!!

• Like 2

Turkey hunting, finish putting in the garden, and some R&R.

Not sure if any of the in-laws are BBQ-ing, Will probably end up at one of B-in-Law house's at some point, since wife's grandma is in town at one of their homes.

Never forget what he holiday is about.  If you know of a veteran's grave, leave flowers or flag there to honor them for their service. Or do something for a family who lost someone in the most recent conflicts. I am sure they would appreciate it.

• Like 2

First and foremost, remembering all the brave men and women who gave all to this country. Without their sacrifices,we would not live with the freedoms we now have. All politics aside,this is still the best country in the world to live in.

That said,going to open the pool tomorrow. It will be awhile before it warms up enough for me to get in there. But the grandsons will be swimming as soon as they can. Funny that when I was younger the cold water never bothered me. Has to be mid 70's at least now before I take the plunge. But will sit in below freezing weather for hours deer hunting and don't seem to mind as much. Priorities!

• Like 1

Been traveling a lot so need to get on the chores. Open the pool and power wash the cruddy synthetic deck for a day. Get some more garden planted.

May slip out to try a turkey. May get the boat out. Will hoist a few to honor those that have served for us!!

• Like 1

I'll  reflect on one of my best buddies from high school....He was killed in action in March 1971, six months before his 21st birthday.. I was a pallbearer and helped lay him to rest just one month before I ,myself reported for active duty in April , 1971..

• Like 6

I think too many people in this countys have no idea what our troops go through during their deployment. When I was 19 I was drafted and so were many of my friends and classmates from high school. Everyone in our neighborhod knew someone in Viet Nam . How many people know one soldier in Afghanastan or Iraq, etc probably no one. Its like it's so far from their lives it doesn't involve them so they don't care. Atleast with the draft everyone was engaged and had someone to worry about, care about, someone waiting for them to come home. 

This is a weekend to honor the lives that have fallen to give us the right to do what ever we want to do. I salute all the fallen and those who have served to protect and defend our American way of life.

So this Monday I will be heading up state to my cabin, make a big camp fire and have a few drinks and be thankful I am here to do that. And quietly be proud I am a veteran, a very lucky veteran.

• Like 3

I'll  reflect on one of my best buddies from high school....He was killed in action in March 1971, six months before his 21st birthday.. I was a pallbearer and helped lay him to rest just one month before I ,myself reported for active duty in April , 1971..

Pygmy, sorry for your loss. Just a question has anyone ever thanked you for your service?

Left Nam April 7, 1971 one of the lucky ones.

still trying to get a bird.....after that, working around the house on the landscaping. Bought 30 bags of mulch the other day from Lowe's, they have a sale 5 bags for $10.00.

Already put down 21 bags, 9 left to go.

Pygmy, sorry for your loss. Just a question has anyone ever thanked you for your service?

Left Nam April 7, 1971 one of the lucky ones.

I  reported for active duty April 25th, 1971...  I served two years active duty aboard a Navy Destroyer, but never served in a combat zone, so I guess I was lucky also...

Lots of flower children and deadbeats fled to Canada to avoid their military obligation..

I'll never forgive Jimmy Carter for letting the scumbags come home scott free...

" Mr. Peanut" was the most spineless president we ever had...

• Like 1

Thank you and all the rest Pygmy.  Some will just never get it. Thats just the way it is. For what its worth….Everyone who matters knows the difference between people like you and " the enlightened ones"