First corn plots

A local farmer will be doing two small plots of corn for me (less than acre each) i know this pretty risky because the deer may eat the corn before it even reaches full growth but the planting is no cost to me. Anyways i have read about broadcasting in soybeans with the row planted corn and i was wondering if anyone has experimented with this method and how it worked? 

• Like 1

We had a 100 acre bean field not far from a little 5 acre piece I planted to corn 3 years ago. I tried broadcasting some left over roundup ready soys between the rows and rototilled them in, covering about an inch. They grew well enough to pod but on a dry year, the corn tends to rob the moisture from the soys to an extent. Deer nibbled some of the corn and soys next to the woods, but for the most part,  left most of it alone. Corn turned out well also feeding well into February, following year. Know one can really say for sure, it will fail, unless you try it.

Our corn plot is going to have shooting lanes in it, filled with brassicas. The lanes will fan out through the corn from the stand thats on the plot edge. I will till the corn in when we spread the urea in 4 weeks. Then Ill add fertilizer and brassicas in July.

love the idea, i'm assuming your corn plots are +1 acre though?

I plant 3 acres of corn every spring, I go through in mid july and broadcast brassicas throughout the field.  I also run a solar fence to keep the deer out until I want them to enter the field, it keeps out 90% of the deer.  Once I take the fence down I run over the corn with either my tractor or wheeler to create shooting lanes and keep as much corn standing as possible.  Works fantastic.  

Its our first year trying it. Theres plenty of food on the property though, so we will see what happens. I dont think they will eat it before the ears develop though.

yeah i'm hoping my clover plot and the surrounding Ag will hold them off. I'm excited for the possibilities. 

• Like 1

As my past pics have shown they will not "hammer " it until the ears are developed and you all know I plant 1/2 acre or less..both corn and beans...the reason is the density,which is why I posted a link earlier today to Growing Deer TV..he talks about this. It's something I have done for years...but not due to just deer but birds we have a real problem with birds and seed here. I do not have a planter/drill. So I broadcast everything and when I plant I will ie...plant 50#'s of corn in a half acre area...Now I can do that because I learned a long time ago that :

1.)Feed corn germinates just as well as seed corn but cost 8-10 dollars a 50# bag. 

2.) regular ag soybeans can take browsing and continue to branch and grow if planted at higher rates and sometimes with the faster buck wheat grown with it. Produce plenty of food with good protein and half the price of the "specialty" seeds.

3.) how and what you plant near by makes a difference in how hard certain crops are hit

4.) Timing I plant late,,, this gives natural browse and the clover plots time to get a good growth on them...I have not even worked up any of my fields yet...

• Like 1

Well you have read the problems I have with grackle the turkey the cows squirrel and of course woodchucks and rabbits...I plant that and it comes up with just enough room to produce ears...and yes it's close and even deer do not care to go pushing through until they see good corn in it.

• Like 1

Oh how did I forget the robins...ROBINS!!!! they come in and walk around plucking out 2 in corn plants leaving them on top of the soil to shrivel and die...there should be an open season on robins! They also LOVE to go into the garden and snip the tops out of my peppers and beans!!!

The fertilizer cost me 4x's what the 10.00 bag of corn did.

PS...if you look close you will see some stalks in that small section with 3 ears growing...the lowest in silk....a good portion of the corn did that, that year.

Edited by growalot