Wooly, snake

Paula

Good friendly mice eaters! I like to see them around my outbuildings. Not too many venomous ones around here. Every now and then I'll see a rattler on the side of the hill behind the house. Always by a certain rocky outcropping when I do see them.

Snakes are near (AT) the top of the list of things I despise.  Ignorance I'm sure on my part but they really freak me out.................

One time I was with a buddy on Canadice Lake, fishing in our old Lyman boat his father gave us when a spotted adder (could have been a black mamba for all we knew :) ) dropped into the boat from a limb while we were trying to free a Swedish Pimple from a branch after a errant cast.  Man what a Chinese fire drill THAT that turned into. A wooden hull boat does not respond well when you beat on it with paddles as you chase a snake around.  15 year old boys ain't the sharpest tool in the shed ya know.............

Scarred me for life.......................................honest.

• Like 5

Don't like snakes, for the most part. I do have one exception, and that is the black snake. They seem to have an almost friendly kind of personality, and they are great mouse and rat eaters. Also, I have heard stories that if you have black snakes, you won't have any rattlesnakes. I don't know whether that is simply a myth, or truth, but just on the outside chance that there might be some truth to it, every black snake I ever encounter are pretty safe from me.

I use to have frogs/toads that hung out in same area, last few years there are more and more snakes. I don't like them too much i just put up with them. Sometimes i forget they could be there till i start to pull weeds.

That black snake seems to be new, haven't seen it before

I do not get ppls fear of snakes...It seems most common in men ..maybe just the ppl I know... :dontknow: I have never had a fear of them and use to catch them during the summer as a kid...ended up detaching more than a few from my shins and hands...Like anything it's a creature one needs to understand before an encounter...That said...terrified and seriously do not care for spiders.....

• Like 1

I do not get ppls fear of snakes...It seems most common in men ..maybe just the ppl I know... :dontknow: I have never had a fear of them and use to catch them during the summer as a kid...ended up detaching more than a few from my shins and hands...Like anything it's a creature one needs to understand before an encounter...That said...terrified and seriously do not care for spiders.....

I'll kick a spiders a$$!!!

not me ..I watched my Moms wrist swell 4x's it's size after getting bitten by one of those little blk jumping spiders...it was NASTY...I had nightmares about those stinking things dropping down on me in my bed by the thousands...several times I would throw myself out of bed across the floor in a cold sweat...yep not good with spiders

• Like 1

I am not a snake or spider fan.  Not deathly afraid, but certain species I will give a wide berth too.  Black Widow spiders I snuff out.  Had a childhood friend spend a couple days in the hospital after a Black Window bite.

Daddy long leg spiders I do play with and let them crawl over my hands and arms. Daughter is freaked about me playing with them, but then again she doesn't like any spiders of any kind or size.  Gets interesting when we go camping sometimes.

Growing up I had to watch for copperheads and cottonmouths, and I have backpacked in rattler country, so I steer clear from anything with a pattern on it.

Snakes don't bother me a bit. Although while in HS I was trapping muskrats out of a beaver swamp and saw the biggest snake I've ever seen around here, a huge water snake. I avoided that one. Spiders give me the willies but I just side step around them.

while in a Disney water park a few years back all the workers were scurrying about. A 18-24" snake was slithering around the lockers. They were panicking. I asked "is it poisonous ?" they said no. I said ' I'll move it for you. They said I'm sorry sir but guests are not allowed to handle any wildlife. My then 10 year daughter says to them " want me to pick it up for you? " lol. They managed to pick it up with those garbage picking up tongs and carry it off to safety.

Come to think of it I haven't seen any red belly racers around in a very long time around here

Spiders don't bother me. They are generally there and dont just pop out.

That said moving to south has given me a new appreciation for snakes and spiders as quite a few in the swamps around here can kill you.

Edited by Belo

Snakes I don't mind, but spiders I hate. I used to have a rose hair tarantula as a pet, and would give it crickets to eat...and it would expose its huge fangs and chew up those crickets in no time. Haven't liked spiders since....and that tarantula found a home at the pet shop. Now its spider vs. me and a can of RAID!!

Spiders don't bother me. They are generally there and dont just pop out.

I was cutting some braches off a tree one time with the chainsaw about 16ft up a ladder.

All of a sudden it felt like my ankle was ON FIRE!

I knew I got "stung" by something and it hurt like all heck.... I thought for sure it was a hornet or bumble bee.

I skipped every 5'th wrung on my way down after I launched the still running chainsaw to the ground below, but I was tempted bail with everything in hand without thinking! That could have been bad!

When I finally hit the ground and shook off my boot, a FAT azz spider with a body the size of a quarter had fallen in to take a bite out of me.

I don't know what the heck kind it was, and the pain went away after an hour or so, but the damn thing almost killed me.

I promptly squashed him and got back to work!

• Like 1

I was cutting some braches off a tree one time with the chainsaw about 16ft up a ladder.

I knew I got "stung" by something and it hurt like all heck.... I thought for sure it was a hornet or bumble bee.

I skipped every 5'th wrung on my way down after I launched the still running chainsaw to the ground below, but I was tempted bail with everything in hand without thinking! That could have been bad!

When I finally hit the ground and shook off my boot, a FAT azz spider with a body the size of a quarter had fallen in to take a bite out of me.

I don't know what the heck kind it was, and the pain went away after an hour or so, but the damn thing almost killed me.

I'd like to like this but you wouldn't like that, would you?

OK, I'll like it anyway............. :)

• Like 1

sounds like a few wasp and hornet chainsaw encounters i've had. Had a snake dropped out of the branch i'd bet you would have jumped for sure though :)

The garden is a difficult place for my....dig a spot for a plant and a spider the size of a small mouse can pop out at you and you never know which way it will run,I work hard at not killing them there...I NEVER go out any where on our place that I don't have my pants tucked into my socks and my boots laced tight...besides "corn" spiders...I had never seen spiders as big as some of the nasty  hairy brown beasts I have uncovered on this hill. When you can see a spider physically lift it's body an inch off the ground to run ......It gives you pause.....