Do you know????

Do you know what weeds are beneficial to your lands? I watched an interesting video the other day about organic farming...they use living mulch (clover)and had weeds invade it. Chicweed and mallow...they did an analysis of the mellow..it does not fix nitrogen but release more nitrogen back into the soil when mowed than alfalfa..when I get a bit more time I'll do some research on our native weeds for just such things and protein levels.

• Like 2

There are lots of studies out there on this. Though I haven't found many from NYS..may be searching wrong...I got into this some time ago because we eat weeds....I wanted to know the nutritional values of things like the many greens I collect and wild burdock...elderberry...dandelion ...purslane  chicories ect..ect...there are many wild edible flowers  berries,and tubular one can eat...the nutrition we get is the same the critters that eat them get. So to leave a portion of your hunting lands to go "fallow" as it were...with the occasional woody brush mowing, would not take anything away from your hunting.It could increase opportunities in game birds, bedding and small game...Maintaining balance is a good thing...