opening day bass season

wolc123

Anybody else going after smallies or largemouth tomorrow?   Weather looks good.   Hopefully Honeoye lake is reopened after they had closed it down for a stretch due to high water.   Time to start catching some tasty, good-eating sized 12-15" largemouth.  The following week it will be the St Lawrence river for smallies.   We are very blessed here in NY to have some of the best bass fishing in the country for both species.      

That's a big one for NY.   Are you talking about Red House lake at Allegheny state park?   We used to trout fish there when I was a kid.   I can see how bass could grow very large there feasting on all the stocked trout.  I am mostly a meat-fisherman however and I usually move trying to find smaller ones if I get into bass over 15" long.   There is no fish I like better than properly prepared and cooked bass in the 12-15" range.   The younger fish have great flavor and just the right oil content for grilling or baking.   Way better that way than less oily fish like walleye and perch.   I also move the boat when I get into those species by accident.   Grilled bass tacos are about as good as it gets on the table, even better than the Mahi-Mahi ones they sell out in SanDiego.     

• Like 1

I have a few new frog lures. Will be out soon.

[

/quote]

The French have always made some fine fishing lures, the Mepps Algia being a good example...

They also are world leaders in the technology of manufacturing white flags..

In fact a few months ago their primary white flag manufacturing facility burned down, effectively crippling their military capability for a period of time.

• Like 1

don't like cleaning many fish so I tend to find a nice little live frog and toss it a few feet from the edge of cover.  it gets hit as soon as it touches the water.  I've been using Strike King KVD perfect plastics infused with garlic and coffee scent.  the finesse worm and fat ocho like worm or my go to baits.  I can fish them dead off the bottom or swimming around cover.  I've gotten sick of losing hard, non-weedless, baits.

Edited by dbHunterNY

How did you shoot ? We went up saturday morning and shot , i thought it was a nice course ,we got held up a few times getting stuck behind larger groups.

We got through the African side in four hours, the only wait was the first few in the field. I thought it was great. I think I shot 480 with a couple fives. My buddy was unconscious, he only had one eight. I think he shot 530. I wish it was longer though, the shits probably averaged 26 yards?

We got through the African side in four hours, the only wait was the first few in the field. I thought it was great. I think I shot 480 with a couple fives. My buddy was unconscious, he only had one eight. I think he shot 530. I wish it was longer though, the shits probably averaged 26 yards?

I ended up with a 465 , i forgot my binoculars and some of the targets i had no clue where to aim. scored a double 5 on them stupid pink flamingos and the bat creature in the tree was another 5. The growling wolf that was at 35 yards downhill was a trick shot, i ended up hitting him in the spine because of the drop off before the target . I can't wait for the next one,i think ill do swain this year.

No problem, fishing was tough on Honeoye with the water level at flood stage, only managed a couple small LM and didn't keep any.   Headed to the St Lawrence today for SM, weather looks good.   We always do good up there at this time of year with very few outings not resulting in limits of "eating-sized" bass.  It has been getting a little tougher catching the smaller ones the last several years as growth rates have been way up since they have been feasting on the round gobbies.  We end up releasing lots of 17" plus, fat ones while trying to get our limits of 12"-17" "eaters".    No bass left in freezer now so the fish tacos will have to wait until we get some fresh ones.   For those we just bake the fillets in the oven for about 1/2 hr after a short marinade in tariaki sauce.    Make the tacos with the fish, shredded red cabbage, a white sauce, and chipoltle peppers to the desired "heat".     

• Like 1