Taking a deer with a 22-250

threeksnaj

If you are dead set on using that rifle for deer, then do so. Just make sure you hit the range and dial in for yardage. Knowing where it will be at certain ranges will be imperative. You want to make sure you are hitting the heart and not just the lungs with that caliber. It will be so fast the deer might run a long way before it dies.

If you can I would suggest going up to a 7mm/08, .243, or .308. Maybe even a 30/30. All still low recoil, but more kinetic energy.  

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 3

I have used my .308 in the past.  Again using 4895 with 110 v max. That too does a  number.  Just felt i needed more of a challenge so to say.  

What kind of a challenge you looking for? Going from a .308 to a 22/250? You want a challenge, buy a bow or a crossbow. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with a .22 caliber bullet for deer hunting IF you use a decent bullet and pick your shots properly. (AND EVERYTHING RIGHT THERE GOES FOR ANY CALIBER OR CHAMBERING)  you will be fine.

Lots can be learned by digging in to all the good information on the web.  Lots of people on here (yes, including me) haven't used a .22 caliber CF rifle to kill a deer but plenty outside of NYS have. 

I'd do it in a heart beat if I wanted to.  Heck, my .243 with 80gr slugs isn't much different.

Read some here and let Google be your friend

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ammunition_centerfire_22_biggame/

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4784790/all/Best_Non_Premium_22_Deer_Bulle

• Like 2

smaller bullet/ better shot placement / patience ..  yeah can get that at range but no range teaches that with a deer in site and your heart pounding. i guess i want more control under pressure. smaller cal , in my mind, would make me do just that.  Most over kill around here. 308 168+gr or 300 win mag .. to me theres no challenge in hitting a deer with an elephant load. wheres the challenge in that. you can hit the deer in the butt and the shock kills the darn thing.  theres no skill there

Neck shots only. You hit it in the chest that little bullet explodes, making heart/lung a mess, deer drops like it was hit by lighting. BUT, when you skin that deer it will be all bruised meat. Neck shots only!

• Like 1

Just remember…. 22-250 will  kill any deer walking.  But there is a lot of room for error with that small bullet…. If you can use a bigger caliber..use it. If the 22-250 is all you have, then find the right load for it and it will work, provided shot placement is right on and bullet selection is good. Don't expect big blood trails or any blood trails at all, but smack them through the ribs, with the right bullet and you will find them dead.

Neck shots only. You hit it in the chest that little bullet explodes, making heart/lung a mess, deer drops like it was hit by lighting. BUT, when you skin that deer it will be all bruised meat. Neck shots only!

are you saying that he should not hit the deer in the vitals with the 22-250 but instead hit the deer in the neck?????  if that's the case that's the horrible advise.  I'd under a heavier caliber and shock puts them down and the rest of the idea of hitting them in the neck.  I've ever done it on multiple occasions.  most definitely not the placement for a smaller bullet like a 22-250.  aim for the lungs and if possible the heart.  keep shots under 200 yards, even 100 yards if possible.  myself or anyone I know of who use a 22-250 to hunt deer with would not take a neck shot, especially at 200 yards.  I hope I misunderstood you.  all the ammo mfg make something like a softpoint or bonded lead.

When ever I hear about the 22-250 being used for deer, I think of a giant 10 point buck I saw strapped onto the back of a DEC officers car. It was confiscated, along with several other deer, from a poacher in Syracuse around 1986-1987 . The guy used a 22-250 to snipe deer around the Syracuse University area. ( There are a lot of wooded areas around the college) Besides the big buck, they found 6-8 smaller bucks and some does hanging in his garage. All taken with a 22-250. 

are you saying that he should not hit the deer in the vitals with the 22-250 but instead hit the deer in the neck?????  if that's the case that's the horrible advise.  I'd under a heavier caliber and shock puts them down and the rest of the idea of hitting them in the neck.  I've ever done it on multiple occasions.  most definitely not the placement for a smaller bullet like a 22-250.  aim for the lungs and if possible the heart.  keep shots under 200 yards, even 100 yards if possible.  myself or anyone I know of who use a 22-250 to hunt deer with would not take a neck shot, especially at 200 yards.  I hope I misunderstood you.  all the ammo mfg make something like a softpoint or bonded lead.

The point I was making that those small bullets explode and ruins a lot of meat. The 22-250 is a varmit cartridge shooting out to 200-300 yards. If your any good you should be able to knock down woodchucks out to that yardage, and if so, you should be able to put one in the neck of a deer. Now if your not that good, don't do it!  Everyone has to know their limits. Now if they make a bullet for a 22-250 that holds together, that would save a lot of meat, but the ones I'm familiar with, they pretty much explode.

As a member of Deer Search, I can tell you that I have had more than a few calls to find deer shot with a 22-250 and 243s. Most were not recovered. Now I'm not saying that they won't kill deer. You just have a smaller margin for error on shot placement,and usually a very light blood trail. That being said, with the right bullet and knowing the the rifles capabilities as well as your own, have at it. To each their own.

• Like 5

22-250 is very effective on deer . My gf shoots one. It is very unforgiving on poor shots. Even good shots leave poor blood trails. I would limit myself to closer range ,-100 yds, just so you know EXACTLY where the deer ran.

Me....I like my elephant gun. I shoot it well ,and if I have a brain fart and don't, the deer is still found in less than 50 yds .

• Like 1