5 Ways To Get More Out Of Your Trail Cameras

Hey guys, I recently wrote this article "5 Ways To Get More From Your Trail Cameras". Give it a read and let me know what you think. I have found these five steps have improved my success with trail cameras greatly. Anything that you guys would add?  

http://adirondackbowhunters.com/2015/07/01/5-ways-to-get-more-from-your-trail-cameras/

• Like 1

I would elaborate slightly on the trigger speed commentary. It's just perpetuating a marketing gimmick that trigger speed is the only thing that results in capturing game on cam. A slow trigger with a matched FOV/sensing area will perform better than a fast trigger with a wide sensing area not matched up with the FOV. Also this needs to be taken into account when mounting a cam high - not all cams perform well mounted high due to the sensor/trigger/FOV combo.

Secondly, the scent on the cam itself, while I was a big proponent of using "kids gloves" when setting and handling cams a long time ago, I rarely worry about it. Ditch the strap if you can and move to screw in mounts (where legal and permission given), and don't worry too much about the scent on the actual cam. Scent on rigid plastic isn't really a concern. Plus, the scent bomb you just laid down actually intruding is going to do more damage than any scent via the cam will.

Edited by phade
  • Like 4

I recall an old article stating to place the camera facing North and if placed East / West the sunlight would trigger the camera . I have had good results by doing this but also the shadows trigger the camera and I get several pictures of nothing .

i try to access my trail cameras same way i access my stands but most likely at a different time.  i don't just walk right in during odd hours like noon.  if i access it from an atv and never put boots on the ground.  deer still don't like it but are more accustomed to ATV traffic then foot traffic.  i don't have an electric means of transportation.  wireless cams are preferred but not as common.

Edited by dbHunterNY

I do find that if you are not too concerned about getting up close n personal, a lower cam position,back a good ways from a trail, can be more or less ignored. I brush 'em in when low too. Doesn't seem to effect movement too much.I also like to find a Hemlock for lower cam positions. You can hide them well amongst the lower dead branches.

• Like 1

I have issues usually in the summer months with cams. I try to avoid grassy areas with weeds because they always seem to trigger the cam and all I get are pictures of weeds.

Good article though! I made some simple adjustable screw mounts for higher angled mounting to trees but never honestly used them because it was a pain to screw it into a tree or bring a drill. I do have to admit, I don't buy into the whole scent thing. If I only go into the woods once every month or two, I don't see it being an issue, but that's just me.

• Like 1

I have issues usually in the summer months with cams. I try to avoid grassy areas with weeds because they always seem to trigger the cam and all I get are pictures of weeds.

Good article though! I made some simple adjustable screw mounts for higher angled mounting to trees but never honestly used them because it was a pain to screw it into a tree or bring a drill. 

I just stick a small branch behind my cameras to get the down angle I need. You will need to try 2/3 different widths before you manage to get things just as needed.Cheap and fast solution

• Like 1