DEC Chief Resigns

scolopaxmatt

ALBANY | A day after enacting a promised ban on fracking, New York Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Joseph Martens has announced that he'll step down in July.

The Open Space Institute, a Manhattan-based non-profit land preservation group, said Wednesday that Martens will join the group this summer as a consultant focusing on national climate change policy.

Martens headed the group before he was appointed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to head DEC in 2011.

Martens said in an email to DEC staff Tuesday evening that his executive deputy, Marc Gerstman, will serve as acting commissioner until Cuomo appoints a successor.

On Monday, Martens finalized the state's ban on high-volume hydraulic fracturing for natural gas, a decision he had announced in December.

ALBANY | A day after enacting a promised ban on fracking, New York Department of Environmental Conservation Commissioner Joseph Martens has announced that he'll step down in July.

The Open Space Institute, a Manhattan-based non-profit land preservation group, said Wednesday that Martens will join the group this summer as a consultant focusing on national climate change policy.

Martens headed the group before he was appointed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo to head DEC in 2011.

Martens said in an email to DEC staff Tuesday evening that his executive deputy, Marc Gerstman, will serve as acting commissioner until Cuomo appoints a successor.

On Monday, Martens finalized the state's ban on high-volume hydraulic fracturing for natural gas, a decision he had announced in December.

I heard a rumor he's moving to PA to cash in on the Fracking business.........

• Like 1

We certainly have had quite a collection of DEC Commissioners in the last few years. Hard to see how any consistent policy can be maintained when they change commissioners everytime Cuomo owes somebody a favor.

And so the DEC was being run by some Al Gore type .... eh? I'm sure that fish and game issues got a lot of attention and priority during his reign.

• Like 2

We certainly have had quite a collection of DEC Commissioners in the last few years. Hard to see how any consistent policy can be maintained when they change commissioners everytime Cuomo owes somebody a favor.

And so the DEC was being run by some Al Gore type .... eh? I'm sure that fish and game issues got a lot of attention and priority during his reign.

Yup and just think what the future has in store. Sure it wont get better in the game and fish department!

Will the next top boss be a hunter or at least a fisherman himself? Years ago--like 30, I was challenged by a DEC officer when I was hunting on unposted land where pheasants were released. I was in the right spot though and he called in to find out. Before leaving though- he said no one needs to hunt anymore. I said you have never hunted?!!! He said NO. With that he walked away.  That was an eye opener! So the next top boss should be a hunter!!

And who will be setting that as a pre-requisite?? ......Our friend Andy? I doubt it. More likely he will select an anti-gunner, animal rights activist.

• Like 1

Here is the guy that will be piloting the DEC until Cuomo gets around to appointing another one of his buddies with another political pay-off.

Marc Gerstman Bio:

Marc Gerstman was appointed Executive Deputy Commissioner in August, 2011. He previously served at DEC from 1988 to 1994, as Deputy Commissioner and General Counsel, and from 1985 to 1988 as Deputy General Counsel and Director of Legal Affairs. From 1995 to 2011, Mr. Gerstman was in private legal practice, specializing in environmental, natural resource, land use, zoning, administrative and municipal law. He earned his juris doctorate from Brooklyn Law School and holds a bachelor’s degree from SUNY New Paltz.

----------------------------------------------------------

Looks like another lawyer. I'm sure he'll have some heavy priorities that involve fish & game management ..... lol.

• Like 2