what cams do you like?

As some of you may know...I own DeerAg, a foodplot seed compnay.  I'm looking to add a solid trail camera company to our product line.  I really like Covert but their new marketing decisions arent allowing web based companies to become dealers anymore.  So i look to my fellow hunters for a solid trail cam company that you love!

One cam company to sell seems like a recipe for trouble because it's a KBD (key business dependency) situation. Probably need three lines with a range of price/performance options and some overlap to withstand product and/or distributor issues. Nothing like selling one line and a client has issues and you have no other recourse to keep the business, or a delay in product leaves you high and dry to service the client.

I would suspect you should look at Reconyx and two lines with a wide ranges of cams. Your customers are likely going to be higher income/disposable income considering its a seed business. That means you probably need to maximize profit on lower volume sales first and foremost and have options to present lower if need be. The other two lines...there's not much differentiation amongst Covert, Moultrie, Browning, Bushnell/Primos, etc.Whatever terms that are favorable from a profit/relationship perspective is probably what you should consider there. It's nice to be client-centric, but at the end of the day you need to be in the black, and there's no one or two brands that leap out over the others with regard to differentiation.

Alot of web-based cam sellers have gone under this past year - I can think of two major ones right now and that's just what comes to mind. Other than Brick and Mortar sellers (who also have online), consumers are starting to really hunt for deals because market innovation has started to plateau and many buyers are becoming aware of the brand or models that are superstars and good buys, which are not determined until after the cam has been out a while and is not something a web-based retailer can hedge. Or vice-versa with poor cams. Examples of this include 2012 Coverts, 2013 Browning Recon Force and Moultrie 8 and 900 series and the 2014 Stealth G42 (can't believe I am saying that) on the good side....on the other end, the entire 2014 line of Moultrie was a complete utter failure (avoid like the plague if more than $50). Since many consumers are becoming aware of this, web-based sellers are challenged. They are more likely be saddled with a bad line and stock (if not selling direct ship). Imagine if you chose Moultrie as your lone supplier and you had a wad of 2014s? Ouch.

I've been directly involved with two cam companies with regard to prostaffing and also product development. I've often thought about an online cam retail business model and every model I build comes up a loser long-term if its not a full-time, all-in approach, right away. It's not a part-time, supplemental business. These are the ones that have gone under, specifically. TCP is probably the best model because their prices suck, but add a supplemental warranty and provide in-depth reviews (biased as hell, but still), and took an "authority" approach. They're a full-time gig though, with electrical engineers on contract.

Most start-up cam companies are not getting into the retail channel yet. Probably wise to build relationships there and be the first in the door in a year or two once the sink or swim has been determined.

PS... fix the "heard" to "herd." 

VARIETY

From the summer growing months into hunting season and throughout winter, our blends are specifically formulated to hold deer and provide the optimum forage for a healthy deer heard.

Edited by phade

Cheap one's. They do the job just as well. And you can get inexpensive cams with video mode these days too. My best cam to date is the least expensive one, in terms of range and sensitivity. It is a  Wildgame Innovations Blade 4 infared . Think it cost me 50 bucks.

Edited by Papist

I have had several brands, and the most reliable for me has by far been reconyx.

That said it would be best to pair them up with a more moderate priced cam also. To cover a broader range of customers.

Honestly if the top of my head I can think of about 4-5 brands ( think 8-10 cams) that I have owned and they been all over the map as far as consistent quality .

For example i had a bushnell that worked extremely well for me so I purchased two more of the same model...they were junk and unreliable.

Now I only buy Reconyx.

Edited by Trial153
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've owned more cuddebacks than any other camera and had pretty good luck with cuddebacks older models, like the capture. They all lasted at least 4-5 years. so for the 150$ I guess I  was pretty happy. A few more years would obviously be better for sure haha.

Owned previously a, Primos truth cam, wildgame, stealth cam, Moultrie..

I do have a stealth cam 1.3 mp that still works and is probably 10 years old or more haha. slow as can be though. :)

From what I've researched on, I would like to try out the Coverts and Browning cams for the money. Seem to be the best quality/reviewed for the price.

I used to run 9 cams from july to February..(bushnells and cuddebacks) I am now down to 4 cameras, and hope to add a few more in the next month or so.

I think we expect a lot from a trail camera but the manufacturer competition helps that.  I've had good luck with a version of the Bushnell Trophy Cam.  Have a Cuddeback Long Range IR setup a couple days ago.  we'll see how I like that one.  Wildview and wildgame innovations cams are mostly junk.  I do have an Red4 that's still going strong for several years now though.

I've only tried Scoutguard, Bushnell Trophy Cams, Primo's, and Coverts. Hands down favorite are the BTC's! They are workhorses and I have no complaints! My least favorite that I would never buy again or recommend... Coverts! LOL  I know, I'm probably the only person that doesn't like them and I'll probably have rocks thrown at me but....  :negative:   Not sure what model I bought, but pic and video quality doesn't seem to compare to my older BTC's.