Bear kills deer in backyard

Deerthug

Bear kills deer in a backyard  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What would you have done?

• Let nature take its course
    • Kill the bear
    • Kill both and fire up the grill

http://griffinsguide.com/content/2015/06/28/bear-takes-down-deer-in-colorado-mans-backyard-video/

Scroll down for the video.

I saw this posted on Facebook and read some of the comments.. I was wondering what my fellow hunters would have done in this situation. I personally could not watch the entire video. Although this is part of nature and the so-called circle of life, I would have killed the bear without taking a second thought and then i would put the deer down and out of its misery, because if this was in a residential area with children and pets outside, who knows what the next meal would have been for this bear. Now If this happened in the woods I would have let nature take it's course except if the bear attacked my 10 point buck I just shot, the bear would be a goner as well (provided of course that bear was in season)

So what would you do?

• Like 2

What would I do? Given that shooting either would probably be illegal, you really have no options. That deer was likely a goner even if the bear was somehow driven away. I don't see anything that could be done in a practical and legal sense.

There sure did seem to be a whole lot of suffering involved.......Something that perhaps some of these anti-hunters should witness who fantasize that without hunters, animals would simply pass quietly in their sleep as victims of old age.

Pretty disturbing stuff.

• Like 6

I would have been on the phone to 911 ...getting the cops / DEC out there. That was clearly a fenced area...That bear poses a danger. I first would have grabbed my shot gun and fired a round in the ground to try and scare off the attack..

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

I probably would have shot that bear 1000x's............... with my camera ! :dontknow:

I think there is probably more that led up to this than we see here.

I would guess that deer was sick or injured and the bear "hunted it down" and cornered it in that backyard where it could easily catch and eat it.

• Like 3

The Bear looked like he had chewed off a little too much there. I would have kicked him in the butt and seen him off. Not in my back yard. Don't like the idea of my yard being a dinner buffet zone for bears. And I consider myself and family as being part of nature. This is nature too close for comfort.

Do bears carry rabies?

Edited by Papist
  • Like 2

Agreed that it would probably be illegal in that area to shoot the bear.  This has already happened to me in Roscoe.  We let the bear eat the doe who had a bad shoulder because he got to her before any of us hunters could.  This is nature, it is cruel and merciless.  Something most who are not familiar with the woods frown upon because they really have no clue on the circle of life.  Two day feast for that bear with nothing but fur left.  (We had strict orders from the land owner to harvest this doe due to her bad shoulder but the bear was hungry and ran her down first.)

Inhumane, cruel, blood thirsty, and killers are some of the words activists use to describe hunters, yet these are the same people who think the same of this bear.  Life and nature can be awe inspiring and beautiful but get lost in these remote woods and you will find how cruel, harsh and insensitive mother nature can really be.   Part of the circle of life is survival of the fittest, most people who are not familiar with nature except the "nature walks" they go on forget this fact.  But they love to protest us hunters!

Mother nature is insensitive, cruel and harsh, she shows not pity or remorse.  She will take one doe with a bear or thousands with a tsunami.   

Inhumane: not humane; lacking humanity, kindness, compassion, etc.  This is a term people use when they see something in nature they do not like or understand and love to tag hunters with it.  Usually because they DO NOT understand.  They also want to forget the fact that they are here because there four fathers where hunters.  The same cruel and inhumane people they protest today are just like their great grandparents where but they will ignore this fact. 

Preaching to the choir I know but I was bored, lol.

• Like 5

I agree BUT there comes a time when ma nature verses human safety  has to be considered...whether that deer was in some way incapacitated and hunted to that area the bear has now found a hunting "zone"...now if it were just a case of adults only in the area fine. When it comes to young people and smaller framed unarmed people in an area this bear can not be allowed to stay....

If the constant "don't feed the bears" and the fact that hunting them over bait hasn't made people especially hunter realize they are creatures of habit and OPPORTUNITY than I can understand the comments above...other than that people on both sides of the issue seem to be wearing rose colored glasses

• Like 1

We have bears, coyote's, bobcats, fox and a number of other hunting birds and critters in the woods behind my house. Should I move I move to the burbs because they are all out there killing and eating?

Think I'll just stay right here and take my chances.

the homeowner said he ended up chasing the bear off the property with a shotgun—possibly because nobody wants a bear having lunch on their lawn and then loitering around afterwards. The fate of the deer is unknown.

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2015/06/15/video-bear-takes-deer-colorado-mans-backyard/

Edited by Papist
  • Like 1

No one is talking moving and I have the exact same situation as you...that said ....when a bear has become brazen enough to track and kill a deer in a fenced area close to my home, during broad daylight and while I stood near by in plain sight filming it...then the bear needs to be moved. See that is the common sense part of the whole...." It's mother nature at work" comes into play.

That's also great your willing to take your chances...BUT should someone living near you with kids have to take chances...should the elderly person that likes to garden in their back yard have to take chances...Lets just talk a little common sense  for a moment.

• Like 1

First thing, is I dont think I would have gotten that close to a bear attacking its prey. I probably would have called DEC to make sure they knew the situation and could do what they needed to, but other than that, Id have let nature take its course. Kept the kids and pets inside, let the neighbors know and let Mr Bear have his dinner.

That beast is not welcome on my property regardless of the reason...Very least he would have got was birdshot in the backside but truth be known...He would be getting hauled away in the back of a truck. Pretty simple with kids and people around. He would have thought it was fair game from there on in and the old lady bent over in the garden tending her flowers may have been his next meal..Ya he would probably be dead!

Now did i just spin this whole thing from animal prey to human prey?  God i'm so sorry!

• Like 1

I almost forgot about the bear that killed a deer in my neighbors yard a few years ago,lol.

This sucker didn't even eat the deer, he just killed for sport, and then moved on to the bird feeders after he was done drooling all over the soggy carcass!

Once the food was gone, no one ever saw the bear again.

Bears typically aren't ambush predators that lie and wait over a location waiting to pounce just because they caught a meal there before.(unless we're talking grizzlies over a salmon pool)

They're scavengers or oppertunistc feeders... not pre meditated killers, that's why I think something rare occurred the led the bear in the original post to kill this deer where it did.

Anyhow, here's our local killer!

large.jpg

Edited by wooly
  • Like 4

No question that Ma Nature is a cruel one. This kind of death and even much worse is part of every day in the wild. However, I absolutely do sympathize with those that would like to have had the scene interrupted. I have to say that I am a pretty hardened old critter that has seen some pretty horrible crap, but I see no way that someone would watch that video without feeling some sympathy for the deer. I have to admit to feeling a lot of the same kind of discomfort (if that really is the right word) as I did when my Brother-in-law spined a doe once. We both went absolutely berserk trying to finish the animal as quickly as possible. A definite panic set in that one of these critters that we were trying to kill was enduring such terror and pain. I think it is quite natural to want to stop the suffering. Watching this video brought on the same feelings and desire to have someone do something. I have to admit to stopping the video before it was finished. It was that hard to look at. Of course, given the fact that the bear was in the midst of a killing frenzy, and that it most likely was illegal to fire a gun in that kind of residential area, the practical options were certainly limited to pretty much nothing.

• Like 2

I almost forgot about the bear that killed a deer in my neighbors yard a few years ago,lol.

This sucker didn't even eat the deer, he just killed for sport, and then moved on to the bird feeders after he was done drooling all over the soggy carcass!

Once the food was gone, no one ever saw the bear again.

Bears typically aren't ambush predators that lie and wait over a location waiting to pounce just because they caught a meal there before.(unless we're talking grizzlies over a salmon pool)

They're scavengers or oppertunistc feeders... not pre meditated killers, that's why I think something rare occurred the led the bear in the original post to kill this deer where it did.

Anyhow, here's our local killer!

large.jpg

looks like he's ready to charge........

• Like 1