Packing heat while on the trail

Borngeechee

What Elmo said and even where allowed it's not allowed on parts of trails that pass through campgrounds. I've carried an AR7 on every backpacking/canoe packing trip I've ever taken in NY. When i started in the mid 70s it was a Charter Arm AR7 and I had illusions of hiking and eating small game. I did get a chance to do that on some longer trips but not as much as i had imagined. Still I got used to having it and to this day I have my trusty Henry AR7 when I'm doing any back country activities.

I carry a handgun with me when I'm training my dog, not so much for my benefit, but in case the dog jumps something she can't handle (coyotes, bear, porcupine, skunk), and to get her used to hearing gunshots at fairly close range. Not sure of what the law is in NY on carrying firearms for dog training, but in PA the only firearm allowed is a handgun.

Edited by Uncle Nicky

The only way I can see a pack rifle making sense is if the area that you're going to is so remote that there is no way to pack enough food or it's your tent gun for self defense while ur in bed and you put it away when u leave the tent. One of the guys I was talking to opened carried an AR-7 while hiking n poets ledge. He said that it's pretty remote and can be an animal deterrent he figured safe than sorry. He said he didn't think it was legal but he never sees a soul.

Keep in mind that the trails are also hiked by hippie tree huggers. All it takes is for you to bump into one along the trail that makes a phone call and you might be in a whole lot of trouble. Have to weigh to risk/rewards.

If you go remote, it's less likely to bump into anyone. Some of the trails I've been on are empty once you go deep but the trail heads are usually pack with people looking to do a short easy loop..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I feel a hell of a lot safer out in the woods, then I do in town. My experience is that folks I want to avoid are found closer to or in civilization. When deep I nthe woods/ Adirondacks , That said, chances are I will have my carry piece with me for the traveling to and from. I have no concern for the wildlife. Close to home, on county lands, day trecking etc. I am sure to have my legally concealed carry piece. I don't/ wont bother with a long gun. Too big, heavy, unnecessary.

I have yet to find anything that makes me worry in the woods more than my own imagination.

Always wondered if I should when camping with the wife and kids but ultimately I think I feel safer around the kids with my rotty and lab than I do with a firearm

• Like 1

I gave up trying to pick and choose when and where to carry, doesn't make much sense to me. I don't only wear my seat belt when on expressways or high traffic roads I wear it driving down my street at 25mph to a friends house even thought I seldom pass even one car.

Two times in the woods/ fields I had weapons pulled on me, once a knife ( I interrupted a guy and girl doing what guys and girls do...) the other I was in a creek wearing hip boots well away from any road, two guys one with a bat the other a machete . Neither of them seemed really committed to an attack, but I no longer leave it up to them.....

Edited by Larry302

I gave up trying to pick and choose when and where to carry, doesn't make much sense to me. I don't only wear my seat belt when on expressways or high traffic roads I wear it driving down my street at 25mph to a friends house even thought I seldom pass even one car.

Two times in the woods/ fields I had weapons pulled on me, once a knife ( I interrupted a guy and girl doing what guys and girls do...) the other I was in a creek wearing hip boots well away from any road, two guys one with a bat the other a machete . Neither of them seemed really committed to an attack, but I no longer leave it up to them.....

Wow that's crazy. Ya never know when and where something can happen.
  • Like 1

I usually carry the majority of the time no matter where I am or what I'm doing, and for no particular reason or fear other than it's a survival tool, much like a bottle of water or source of fire...........and pretty much just because I can.

• Like 1

I carry my glock when possible. Better to have one and not need it.

Could never get away with that in the city. Lived in colorado and i carried alot after i broke outa this ny state of mind. Came back and just got used to it.

When my boys get old enough i will prolly go through the process to teach them how to shoot and respect firearms. But even then i prolly still wont carry all the time

So because I don't always carry means I shouldn't sometimes carry? Isn't some better than none?

If you have it and don't need it 100% of the time your just fine. If you need it and don't have it even ...1% of the time the other 99 might not mean a whole lot.

So with that in mind I don't pick and choose, if it's a legal place to carry then I will. If that doesn't work for you that's fine, I support your right to choose for yourself.

Never carried a firearm hiking. Never felt the need to. On a few back country camping trips we have taken a .22 or a shotgun, or those with a pistol permit would carry. Most of the time we just never felt a need to have one everytime we walked into the woods.