Trip to Steuben County

Vince1

So the family and I are taking our little mini camper out for the first time and a friend who works for the state put me unto a place called Hickory Hill Family Camp in Steuben, taking a long weekend in two weeks and heading out with the wife and kids.

wondering if there were any decent hunting spots in the area I should check out, would love a few PMs

as I wont have much time to scout and want to maximize the few hours I can convince the wife to hike through some rough stuff with the kids.

also I was looking for an outdoor archery 3d spot we could go shooting at but cant seem to find any using google.

any help would be appreciated.

oh and fishing, gotta wet some lines out there. was thinking of hitting keuka lake for that though.

Edited by Vince1

thanks a lot, appreciate the help.

gonna give it a look over when I get home and try to fill out our long weekend.

friend also mentioned the corning museum of glass, may check that out depending on how far it is.

as far as rattlesnakes go im fine with those cause you can hear em. had a snake fall out of a tree me and a buddy was hunting under and it scared the crap out of us.

Corning is less than 20 minutes from bath on I-86...Less than half an hour from Hickory Hill campground.

The Rockwell Museum, which has a super display of western art and modern and antique firearms, is also in Corning and well worth a visit.....

Then there is The Glenn Curtiss Aircraft museum in Hammondsport, which is the birthplace of American Aviation...It's just a few miles from Bath on Rt 54..

• Like 2

There is not a lot of public land on Keuka Lake from which you can fish from shore..A couple of spots are the Village lakefront at Hammondsport and the area around the boat launch at Keuka State Park in Branchport..

However, the Cohocton River flows right through Bath and it is a blue ribbon trout stream..There is quite a lot of public fishing areas along it, from Bath upstream past Avoca and even further up. Some areas are limited to artificial lures only, and some very good fishing can be had with spinners and other small spinning lures and flies. Many good fishing areas run close to and are accessible from State Rt 415.. Check the DEC website for public fishing areas on the Cohocton.

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

pulling some last minute stuff together and just wish I had more time.

thanks for the suggestions will let ya know how the trip goes. gonna spend part of the trip at Windmill craft market on Saturday so im figuring that's gonna be an all day affair. thinking about sneaking off if I can hehe.

oh well.