Encouraging Signs

landtracdeerhunter

Seeing no poults at all this year so far.  Did find a few nests that were destroyed in May and a few hens that were killed.  We have fisher around now, as well as the usual fox, coyote, coon and other assorted varmints.  Not sure what the biggest issue is.  Perhaps it's a perfect storm combination of all of them.

• Like 2

First week of turkey season, finding turkey egg shells in the favorite turkey nesting spots. Counted 21 poults with 2 hens yesterday. Quite a few poults for two hens. May have missed a hen. Starting to use their summertime roosting spot. Largest numbers ever here. Excited and can't wait to get some pics.

Worked on habitat improvement here, for several years. I would hope something I've done has helped. Not taking any credit yet though.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

I'm glad to hear that some of you are seeing poults, and turkeys in general. Things have been going downhill here, and from what I've read, other places around the state, for quite a few years now.

This spring was the worst I've seen here around home in a long time, and I think some of it had to do with the bad winter, combined with a few lousy nesting seasons, and of course, some of the other critters that hunt them.

I killed a turkey the first couple days of season, before I realized how few birds there actually were here this year. I quit hunting once I did, and felt guilty about killing the one bird. 

Fields that have always had at least a few birds in them each spring, were basically empty this year, I've seen 2 hens, and a tom since spring, and I haven't seen a poult. It's a sad state of affairs.

I hope a combination of the new fall regs, and some drier weather during the nesting season, if we can get it, will help over the next couple years. 

Today I talked with a bunch of guys...actually they immediately came over to let me know their turkey poult sightings...Happy to say guys in this general part of the Genesee Valley/ Southern-tier area getting great poult sightings.

As I said not here on the hill but hey maybe that will change and they are just off our place at the moment and will return in the fall. Here's to hope.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...