Anyone see the NYODN yet?

growalot

I got mine yesterday...they have a map and NYS deer hunting is now a zone thing as far as buck management. 7 Zones in all and that is how they plan on instituting their save a young buck initiative come the 2016/17 season.  

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

From what I read it "sounds" like they are going to decide what to do in each individual zone as far as management goes. Some may have certain restrictions, some may not? They set themselves up for another year to decide by making zones. Why does all this reek of smoke and mirrors to me???hhhmmm

• Like 1

From what I read it "sounds" like they are going to decide what to do in each individual zone as far as management goes. Some may have certain restrictions, some may not? They set themselves up for another year to decide by making zones. Why does all this reek of smoke and mirrors to me???hhhmmm

Because its already a done deal and just waiting for the day to put ink to paper. They know what,where,when and why now. Just have to implement it.

I have said this before, I drive 6 hrs to camp and hunting time is limited. Yes I draw a doe permit every year and never been shut out of venison. I will be disappointed if my only opportunity gets to walk because its a small buck. Same goes for the camp down the road who come from Maryland. They better be able to get doe permits for an equal opportunity. 

• Like 1

Here in 4h, we are surrounded by AR's. Only a matter of time now before they implement them here. I usually let the young bucks walk now, but I can see where the choice should be up to the individual hunter. Especially the older new hunters coming into hunting. To old for the youth season, they are building experience and confidence in their hunting abilities. Just like any new hunter. The young bucks and doe's fit for that nicely. Then later in their hunting career they can choose not to shoot the young one's or just continue to put meat on the table. We should have a choice when we pay for the tags!

• Like 6

if you guys would have down loaded the files I put on the survey thread you would of seen this coming the map that is in one of the files is almost the same as the one in outdoor news

I'm not going to get my under ware in a knot till I see the management plan.

There is almost universal agreement that if anything, WMU size is too big to handle the diversity of deer numbers, and all the different habitat conditions, for proper management. So what does the DEC do? .... They establish a mere 7 management areas when it comes to buck management. Somebody want to explain to me the logic behind that? I don't get it.

• Like 2

There is almost universal agreement that if anything, WMU size is too big to handle the diversity of deer numbers, and all the different habitat conditions, for proper management. So what does the DEC do? .... They establish a mere 7 management areas when it comes to buck management. Somebody want to explain to me the logic behind that? I don't get it.

Should be county zones. Keep it simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is almost universal agreement that if anything, WMU size is too big to handle the diversity of deer numbers, and all the different habitat conditions, for proper management. So what does the DEC do? .... They establish a mere 7 management areas when it comes to buck management. Somebody want to explain to me the logic behind that? I don't get it.

Because it is not really about buck management. Simply a political shell game. Watch the pea (the yearling buck.) The real goal is to reduce the deer herd, as was done in Pa., down now 40% in 10 years and headed lower. The buck zones with the highest deer population will see the most restrictive ARs. Hunters will not be able to shoot bucks there so they will whack the does. Simple. Mark my words. The deer population will tumble in the Lake Plains and Finger lake buck zones, just what the DEC wants.

• Like 2

PR arm of the DEC? Come on.....NY Outdoor News has regularly criticized DEC on many levels.....license system, various deer management issues, staffing, etc.

Had to check in on this one...now, back to work...

S

• Like 1