Anyone see the NYODN yet?

growalot

Here’s why Earn a Buck won’t work first you would have to get rid of DMP’s. If you don’t places that don’t have dmp’s right now or low chance of getting one you could not hunt in those wmu’s. Now think of what would happen on opening day of the southern zone gun season 600,000 deer hunters out all trying to kill a doe and maybe not where they need to be killed. You could decimate the deer herd in one area and not touch in in another. Then you would really start bitching if it was your little pace of deer heaven that the deer herd got wiped out in.

Where the heck is this NYODN listed on the DEC website ?. I cannot find it.I would like to see if there are any listings for my area.

X2 on what Larry said. As I said before the deer amount have been cut down to a fraction of what they were around my place.There were too many doe permits handed out and too many if it"s brown it"s down hunters out there. Last winter did not help either , I have not seen a doe with more then 1 fawn in my area this year. And I also have pictures on a cam near the house of Yotes , which never came this close before and on one of the travel routs of the deer.

Ok that map has me more confused than a termite in a tin can.

What the heck "area " is 8h now in? Lake plains Because of finger lakes? That does not make sense to me but none of the names fit the area .I would call it North west myself ....

I find it absolutely discouraging, you want to save bucks then why not drop it to 1 buck only. 

a vast majority who take a buck only end up shooting one buck per season.  especially as the season carries on a young buck is more likely to be taken.  it wouldn't effect the end result much here in NY for overall harvest data.  From a biology stand point it wouldn't do anything significant to protect yearling bucks either.

Here’s why Earn a Buck won’t work first you would have to get rid of DMP’s. If you don’t places that don’t have dmp’s right now or low chance of getting one you could not hunt in those wmu’s. Now think of what would happen on opening day of the southern zone gun season 600,000 deer hunters out all trying to kill a doe and maybe not where they need to be killed. You could decimate the deer herd in one area and not touch in in another. Then you would really start bitching if it was your little pace of deer heaven that the deer herd got wiped out in.

earn a buck does work but it's not for a vast majority of the state like you eluded to.  only areas with the highest doe numbers could it be successfully implemented. they wouldn't have to get rid of DMPs because it would only be implemented in an area that you would be guaranteed one.

What the heck "area " is 8h now in? Lake plains Because of finger lakes? That does not make sense to me but none of the names fit the area .I would call it North west myself ....

don't know where I'd fall either.  won't know until we see the map I guess.  whole WMUs would fall into one or another though.

Licenses reportedly going on sale Aug. 10

Here is the link to the story...it's not on the DEC website; New York Outdoor News is in no way, shape or form affiliated with the DEC or any other state agency....

http://www.outdoornews.com/July-2015/DEC-creates-buck-zones/

I wish they would put the buck zone map on their internet page.  It's in the paper version but it's so damn small I cannot read it even with my glasses.

Keep in mind, those "Buck Zones" won't even be implemented until NEXT season (2016)....and the report has yet to be formally released......we obtained a copie(s) through sources......

There will be the normal regulatory process – including a public comment period – when the plan/regulations are proposed next year.....and DEC officials have indicated they will conduct a series of statewide meetings (not sure of how many and where) to allow folks to weigh in.....

I wish they would put the buck zone map on their internet page.  It's in the paper version but it's so damn small I cannot read it even with my glasses.

even in the actual draft report the image file sucks.  not sure it'd do much good to figure out how to put it up here.  it's still a draft too.

looking at the map in the draft report you'd probably fall with northwestern WMU like anything north of 9A, 9F, 8G, 8H, and 8J.  Also included would probably be 8M, 8S, and 7H.

a vast majority who take a buck only end up shooting one buck per season.  especially as the season carries on a young buck is more likely to be taken.  it wouldn't effect the end result much here in NY for overall harvest data.  From a biology stand point it wouldn't do anything significant to protect yearling bucks either.

The idea behind a one buck rule has nothing to do with how many guys take multiple bucks, its to make hunters more choosy on what buck they shoot. I know of many guys that whack the first buck (usually a yearling) they see then hold out for Mr Big later on, which doesnt usually happen. If they only have one buck tag, they might not whack that yearling. Not all would do that, but Id bet alot would, and it would be by their own choice, not someone shoving ARs down their throat.

• Like 3

How about everyone checks in their buck and has it aged? Anyone who takes a 1.5 year old or lesss gets no buck tag the following year.

I'd hate the idea of being the local guy at the checkstation that says you're deer isn't 2.5+. lol  I'd be all for it.  I like the idea and maybe think it'd even be great for earning the 2nd buck tag.  kind of like the bonus either sex DMPs they used to have.

• the Catskills region, a wide grouping of southeastern New York WMUs that stretches toward the Southern Tier.

What WMU's  as 4xxx will be effected by this ?. Still cannot find the Map.as said there was in the first post.

Here's the problem with all  of this...Most would and does rely on NYS hunters honor system to work....

Now lets just finally admit it...there is a large faction of dishonorable NYS hunters. You may not like that statement, please don't make me list it all,but that is the truth.

The idea behind a one buck rule has nothing to do with how many guys take multiple bucks, its to make hunters more choosy on what buck they shoot. I know of many guys that whack the first buck (usually a yearling) they see then hold out for Mr Big later on, which doesnt usually happen. If they only have one buck tag, they might not whack that yearling. Not all would do that, but Id bet alot would, and it would be by their own choice, not someone shoving ARs down their throat.

yea I know the thinking behind it.  i know more people that hold out and then fold on a younger buck they wouldn't shot earlier in the season.  it doesn't matter when a buck dies during the season.  many hunters i know have legal buck opportunity here and there well into the season.  that's what i see here and what you see out there is just what you said.  i really don't think it matters at all at this point.  DEC needs to just choose something and see how well it works.  it wouldn't be the end of the world if they got mediocre results.  none of it will completely ruin the deer hunting here in NY.  there's no perfect solution for DEC either, because some people just aren't going to be happy no matter what.  if you had a nice 130+" buck as your 1 buck and then while out to fill a doe tag or two you had multiple encounters with a booner (or in some perfect world a 200" buck) that moved in.  you'd think a 1 buck rule got shoved down throat so hard you'd feel like you got kicked in the rear.  some hunters somewhere will be bent due to their particular circumstance, but DEC just has to act.

There is almost universal agreement that if anything, WMU size is too big to handle the diversity of deer numbers, and all the different habitat conditions, for proper management. So what does the DEC do? .... They establish a mere 7 management areas when it comes to buck management. Somebody want to explain to me the logic behind that? I don't get it.

less areas means fewer decisions, less work, and less budget costs I'd imagine.

yea I know the thinking behind it.  i know more people that hold out and then fold on a younger buck they wouldn't shot earlier in the season.  it doesn't matter when a buck dies during the season.  many hunters i know have legal buck opportunity here and there well into the season.  that's what i see here and what you see out there is just what you said.  i really don't think it matters at all at this point.  DEC needs to just choose something and see how well it works.  it wouldn't be the end of the world if they got mediocre results.  none of it will completely ruin the deer hunting here in NY.  there's no perfect solution for DEC either, because some people just aren't going to be happy no matter what.  if you had a nice 130+" buck as your 1 buck and then while out to fill a doe tag or two you had multiple encounters with a booner (or in some perfect world a 200" buck) that moved in.  you'd think a 1 buck rule got shoved down throat so hard you'd feel like you got kicked in the rear.  some hunters somewhere will be bent due to their particular circumstance, but DEC just has to act.

I wouldnt think that way at all. Id be more than happy with my 130 and the opportunity to see a booner in person. Doesnt happen very often, in fact, I couldnt say for sure that Ive ever seen one in the wild. Been up close and personal with a couple of 160s though. Enough to make you darn near fall out of the stand. Sorry, got off on a tangent for a minute there...

Well that attempt to put the map up didn't work.

don't get outdoor news but i'll attach the map from the DEC draft report.  i imagine catskills would be broken out into the 7th and final zone.

post-2834-0-47839400-1438021926_thumb.jp

here's a better map to compare and figure out which WMU are which....

post-2834-0-67890700-1438022485_thumb.gi

....meant to say 8th zone but yea.... they said 7 at most.  us in 4C is way different than the catskills which are more like the northern zone.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1