Garlic Pickles!

DirtTime

The little lady is in the kitchen finishing up pickling 6 jars of garlic dills. She's been doing this for a few years now, but she would buy the cucs. This year she grew them I asked her how it felt to grow the cucs and pickle them. She said it felt great to do it all herself. The look of pride on her face said more then the words though.

I will make a country girl out of her yet! All I need is the country. LOL

• Like 2

They are still dill, but she adds a ton of fresh smashed and diced garlic. When my hot peppers are ready I add garlic to those as well. The garlic just seems to really add flavor mixed with the other pickling spices.

I should have known that, lol. They do sound good, and I love garlic.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but everybody else is throwing different ideas out there, so how about some canned/jarred venison? I can't get enough of it. lots of different ways to do that too, and they're all good.

This thread is making me hungry. 

does she do the real canning where you boil the jars and the whole 9 yards? I've always wanted to try that but have been leery that I'd do it wrong and get food poisoning.

Yes jjb, water bath process. She boils the jars to sterilize and the lids, cooks the spices in vinegar, and then puts the still hot spices in the jars, add cucs, put lid on, then back in water bath and et boil for 15 to 20 minutes, remove from the boiling water bath, allow to cool for a day, screw down the top/band.

No pressure canning for pickles or peppers. 

She got a pressure cooker for x-mas so I am looking forward testing out some pickled kielbasa in that. Oh, and she wants to try making her own pasta sauce.

Took a ride today, picked up a peck of pickling cucs, a 1/2 peck of hot cherry peppers, and a quart of jalepenos. We have cucs, hot cherry peppers, jalepenos, cayenne peppers, and habanero peppers in the small garden we have, but not enough plants to produce for serious canning.

Tomorrow will be a good day. She will be canning and I will be getting the 4 wheeler ready for next weekend. 

I should have known that, lol. They do sound good, and I love garlic.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but everybody else is throwing different ideas out there, so how about some canned/jarred venison? I can't get enough of it. lots of different ways to do that too, and they're all good.

This thread is making me hungry. 

Sorry I missed this.  Not hijacking at all. We are going to try some canned meats. Like I said, she got the pressure cooker now so we can get into that. We are going to try some polish sausage for the first run, we don't want to ruin good meat if we screw up. LOL  I am not sure I will pickle venison, but maybe can some stew meat this year. I know picked deer heart is good but, I like it better fried in a little oil with black pepper sea salt and garlic.

I have gotten some good ideas for different things to can from this thread. We want to make some home made salsas as well. She brought up making our own pasta sauce, then I told her how many tomatoes it takes to get just one quart. Also, certain food has to be canned in the pressure cooker due to the acids.

I like the fact that she actually enjoys doing this stuff at home. Better then sitting on the pc or in front of the TV that's for sure.

We freeze a lot of our garden vegetables, but I still like to can some beans, beets, and some pickles. We usually do quite a few tomatoes every year, but the year before last, they got the blight, so we only ended up with a few to eat fresh. About every other year, I'll can a whole deer, minus the tenderloins, back straps, and the heart. Like you said, pickled heart is good, but I like it better cooked the same as you do. I used to can a bunch of beef, and chicken each year too, but I haven't done any in a while. 

Yeah, there's a lot of satisfaction in doing things for yourself, and it always seems to taste better. Thanks Rob.

• Like 1

Canned venison is great and a very good way to take it into places with no refrigeration. Very tender out of sub par cuts and many many uses.

My main canning projects are

Venison

Salsa

applesauce

peaches

4 different pickles

chicken

I was going to can some salmon but struck out on the Sunday charter.

She tried brandied peaches, didn't turn out well.

What kind of salsa culver?

I am going to do the basic tomato/onion/halapeno/etc, g/f is going to do a corn, some avocado thing ( yuck! ), and some black bean salsas.

We make them all the time when we have people over, but never to keep on the shelf for a long time. Will be fun.

Nice. I usually make two tomato salsas, one hot one mild. I make an odd salsa too ( in the summer ), cucumbers/leeks/corn/green tomato. It's pretty good if you like green tomatoes.

Edit:

Here's a couple pics f yesterdays batch. The back 6 are peppers, 5 hot cherry and 1 jalepeno. The rest are garlic and hot garlic dills. I also made one special jar of hot garlic dill jalapeño gherkins!

Edited by ....rob

Well, the lil lady made some bread and butter pickles this past weekend. I was off in the woods and she found out pretty fast that those are a process. LOL.

I didn't get to even try them as I was gone and she had just finished up on Sunday when I got home. So you have to give them a little time to rest. I am not a big fan, but I really want to try them to see how she did.

OH! She did a small jar of beans too.

Edited by ....rob

What a great thread. I was upstate this weekend alone (terrible????) working on food plots, tree stands and the perfect temperature of beer after working in the woods. It took many trail and errors to find it.

I come home yesterday to my wife canning kosher pickles, garlic pickles and some others. She also made 30 jars of blueberry jelly and strawberry preserve.

What a way to end the weekend. Funny part I couldn't find pickling salts anywhere along route 23 and 28 that she needed. She had to go to Walmart on Long Island.

If you have recipe send it over. It was cool coming home and seeing the process go on while recovering

No real recipe. Pickling salt ( 1/5 of what is called for ), pickling spice, pickle crisp, fresh minced garlic, fresh dill sprigs, and sometimes she will add slices of hot peppers, or sweet red peppers, or pimento.

As for the bread and butter pickles, she looked up a recipe and bought all the stuff and made it herself.

The hot peppers I make is the same as the garlic dills, but I leave out the dill sprigs and ass more garlic.

The beans, she said the same as the bread and butter and one jar of the hot dill.

Last year I did up some pickled garlic cauliflower and pickled garlic. The cauliflower was good, but man did it stink when you opened a jar. LOL.