Bushnell Tents?

DirtTime

Does anyone here have or has used one? Looking for some feedback on them.

My camo tent we use at camp is starting to show signs of wear, poles are getting a little flimsy and seeing a little fray on the stitching around the windows. It might make it a few more trips, but won't make it more then that.

Looking at this as a replacement:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-Shield-Series-6-Person-Dome-Tent/41737126

To me it looks like a re-brandeded tent or a copy of a Coleman Sundome or Eureaka! (forget which model, as I haven't needed to tent shop in a while).

The design looks good for wind/rain.  I never ever trust the seams to be sealed and do it myself,  both the fly and tent seams.

If get one of the major brands, usually you can order replacement parts for damaged poles (pole section, joint, and/or shock cord). 

If the tent just needs some repair, Campmor in NJ does tent repairs(re-sewing seams, replace torn-out stake loops, and screen windows).

Tall tents are nice to fully stand in to change, move around to get everything laid out inside, but winds reek havoc on them.  The tents i have camped in that weather the storms well, were all either A-frames or domes.  We are talking tropical storms and winter snows, not the average spring/summer afternoon rains.

The attachment is a pic of the current tent in use. It's a 9x9 with CH of 6'. That tent was $60 and it has actually endured some tough weather. Torrential downpours and 30-40mph winds during a week long camping trip. It has been used a lot in the three Summers I have owned it. This is my tent for camping mainly at my buddies land. But I have let him and others use it when we were at an actual camp ground. When the g/f goes we have a huge 10x14 tent for just her and I.

I didn't expect the tent to even last this long for the price. It is a Texsport, same as my backpacking pup-tent. They are good but not great.

I always buy my own water repellent and seam sealer and do the whole tent and fly, seam sealer inside and out. I am of the be prepared type, so trusting the factory waterproofing isn't in my vocabulary. Been there done that!

Coleman isn't the company it used to be. I have been using Ozark Trails for many years for my main camp tent and they have always been great at half the cost.

Thanks for the input Two Track. Appreciated.

Edited by ....rob

Canvas tents in summer, way too hot.  But they were nice winter/colder weather camping, keeps in more heat, but the canvas does freeze in the extremes.

I have been in a variety of tents over the years, floor-less hunter canvas tents, canvas pup-tents, platform canvas tents, backpacking tents, and various family tents (wall tents and domed).  I am not that old, but first time tent camping I was 4 years old, and in scouts we camped in a few different tents.

The easiest tents i have dealt with are the A-frames and domes. I can set up our 8-person family dome tent that has 2 dividers up by myself, and some assistance getting the fly situated properly.

I have had or camped in Hillary, Coleman, and Eureka! tents for the most part.

As much as I like my 6 man Eureka Outfitter tent, if it was damaged behond repait I'd get a dome tent of some sort to replace it.  I think........... :)

I've had my tent in some brutal winds and survived but it's been seriously tied down and a prayer or two tossed into the mix.  Seems like my buddies dome takes the wind much better............

CIMG0233.jpg

CIMG0234.jpg

• Like 1

I like dome tents for one reason, the wind. The wind usually passes over them without ripping them out of the ground or collapsing them. Not always, but domes are better in wind then a full straight wall tent. IMHO. Even the big wall tent we have has a slight slant to the walls. Image below.

I was just asking because I never knew Bushnell made tents until I came across the one in the link above. They make good scopes so I figure the tents must be OK.

There is usually less rain pooling on a dome tent than on the "cabin" or walled-tent.  Domed and A-frames have done well when camping in the snow too.

Have to use our big dome tent with the wife, she likes airbeds.  So our 8-9 person tent sleeps 5 - a queen and a full size air bed, plus one cot.  Room for gear, and a small table for a lamp to read by.

Let us know how the Bushnell tent does.  I have a backpacking tent that is ~ 20 years old.  Not sure how much longer it will last.