Horse manure on food plot?

Planting my food plot this week 1/2 acre in middle of deepwoods mix of brassica clover chicory and some radishes very damp soil. Went to tractor supply for biologic fertilizer all sold out. I have access to good quantity or horse manure wondering if it's a good idea to plant plot and throw some horse manure down until I get my hands on some decent fertilizer. Any opinions or ideas would help alot. Thanx.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Depends on how composted it is(hot) and sometimes you can introduce ,many many unwanted seeds to the plot.

How Do I Use Horse Manure as Fertilizer?

Fresh manure should not be used on plants to prevent the possibility of burning their roots. However, well-aged manure, or that which has been allowed to dry over winter, can be worked into the soil without the worry of burning.

The plain jane 10-10-10 or 12-12-12 garden fertilizer works just fine.  No need for fancy stuff if you can't get it. 

A soil test is a great idea, but, if you put down 2-3 bags of the fertilizer and 6 to 8 bags of pelletized lime you'll be doing very well.

I'd put the lime down now, and wait a week or two before planting the plot.  Lime needs time, pelletized is quicker. 

IF you're planting really small seeds like a gallon sized amount of seeds per acre, like clover, then save 2 bags of fertilizer.  Divide up the clover or whatever small seed per bag, then mix it in well.  It's a ton eaiser to get an even coat of seed with much more volume.  I like enough lime mixed in to make 2 passes, incase a spot got missed.

Handheld spreaders work much better in smaller rough plots than wheeled ones.  The ones with the canvas bag.  They hold about a half bag of fertilizer or lime, maybe a bit more.  When spreading the lime initially w/o the seed.

Lime is important, its really not much different than fertilizer.  Don't skimp out on it.  I put 2 bags of lime per every bag of fertilizer when I am maintaining plots.

IF you can get manure, let the pile sit.  Put a bag or two of lime on it too.   Coyotes and turkeys will pick through the manure.  Not sure if it's legally baiting, but it can be bait like.....

The manure will have weeds, but the horses eat plants that deer also like and that you'll buy seed to grow.  Also, a bit of weeds in a food plot is not a bad thing.  Deer enjoy those "weeds" and birds rely on those weeds for food too.

I'd add a bit of rye, oats, or wheat.  Don't confuse rye with ryegrass.  Incase the plot is slow to grow or doesn't grow certains plants, those cereal grains will have a decent bit for the deer to eat.  I really like plotspike forage feast.  Don't seed it too deep if you get a good till on the plot.

Edited by sailinghudson25
  • Like 1

Thanx alot especially sailinghudson25 that's a lot of help. I got a little lazy and used throw and grow last couple years seams more like grass seed on steroids, deer still like it but doesn't attract anything like plots I had 3-4 years ago brassica clover chicory.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk