Best spot for bow hunting?

bill.cooley2007

Hello, second year to bow hunting, and I have a ton to learn. I was just wondering where you guys think would be the best spot to set up a stand for bow hunting. I uploaded a picture. The red is the land I'm allowed to hunt on. Yellow is where the cows are fenced in. Purple is where corn is planted (first year). And the blue is a creek that goes through the land. I'm one of just a few that hunt here. And the other guys hunt there maybe twice a season. I just set out a trail cam a few days ago, and will check it this weekend. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

post-5429-0-57771800-1438096783_thumb.jp

Looks like some nice pinch points and inside corners around the corn fields. That hedgerow between them would be a good place to look, on the east and west ends of it. Also how deep is the creek bed? That corridor that it runs through should be a good funnel and looks to be pretty easilly accessible from the road, especially if its a prevailing west/southwest wind. Look for pinch points and creek crossings in there.

Id be setting up between those corn fields if that hedgerow is wide enough and has some good trees. It looks similar to my piece and that corn is the key especially late season. If there are beans around, thats where they will be in early season. Stick to the field edges and use those pinch points.

spend some money and set up some trail cams. look for pinch points and funnels. and existing runs from the bedding zones to food. STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE BEDS. can't stress that enough. Understand the wind and understand you need them under 30 yards. you can actually modify runs so you can get a good stand in if necessary. the deer will end up using the path of least resistance.

• Like 1

spend some money and set up some trail cams. look for pinch points and funnels. and existing runs from the bedding zones to food. STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE BEDS. can't stress that enough. Understand the wind and understand you need them under 30 yards. you can actually modify runs so you can get a good stand in if necessary. the deer will end up using the path of least resistance.

Theres gonna be some chit chat about hunting beds in this thread...

WNBH  your right about that! the deer buck and doe bed every where on our place...well except last year...but now I have us back on track so I'm pretty sure that's what they will go back to..Unfortunately usually under the one out of 38 stands I decide to hunt out of any particular day...and a few times in the brush blinds as well...lol

Personally I'd like to know the prevailing wind direction...and I would suggest walking that creek bed and finding as many crossings as possible. Then look for a good spot not far away to catch them at  the best crossing and at your best shooting side.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

WNBH  your right about that! the deer buck and doe bed every where on our place...well except last year...but now I have us back on track so I'm pretty sure that's what they will go back to..Unfortunately usually under the one out of 38 stands I decide to hunt out of any particular day...and a few times in the brush blinds as well...lol

Personally I'd like to know the prevailing wind direction...and I would suggest walking that creek bed and finding as many crossings as possible. Then look for a good spot not far away to catch them at  the best crossing and at your best shooting side.

but you can decide which bedding area to leave alone. Give them a sanctuary. If you're going to hunt beds, I would only recommend it to a very experienced hunter and not a noobie.

Just by looking at this map more then a few times. Two spots catch my eye the most are the edge of the ditch area near the creek, and that point the bottom corn field creates. Two others would be the edge of the cow grazing area and that little jut the lower corn field makes on the left.

Reposted your map with the areas I mean in green.

Those are the spots that really stand out to me. But I am not on the ground, so this is just a guess. Scout and if you have them put out some cams.

Thank you Rob! I did a little scouting. That area you circled on the right is where the deer are bedding, right next to the corn. I'll be purchasing a few trail cams and scouting more. Gonna go today and check the one cam I have set up basically on your South circle. I appreciate everyones input!

• Like 1

Let me repeat that I really like this property. It's very huntable. Pressure as noted changes things, so you must take that into consideration. Second, I left out the hedge row based on the fact you said it was a ditch. I summarize my thoughts on it in two words - hunt it.

Set-up in between two corn field this fall, this area will have significant deer traffic and will most certainly result in some potential beds. In ag land, nothing beats a swale irrigation ditch or thin hedge row for bedding. The biggest bucks I have ever jumped in ag land have almost always been around wooded points into corn or ditches/hedgerows/breaks between corn fields.

Second, this creek provides ultimate access and could serve as a potential hard break with which you could potentially hunt more often and pressure without doing damage. The key is access. In theory, this creek is essentially in a large funnel. On a W or SW wind, which is probably predominant, you can access the creek at the N or S points and never set foot on the ground west of the creek. This would allow you to hunt the heck out of it come rut time. You burn minimal ground, even though the area east of the creek is also part of that funnel. 

A is overlooked because it is near the road and at a bend of homes. If deer can cross that major road, this adds another dimension to the funneling effect. Either side of the creek needs to be inspected.

I, H, J, and E are all the same story, part of the funnel. Both sides of creek need to be inspected. Ideally with a W or SW or even NW wind, you can have a stand on the east side of the creek and shoot across it, or vice versa for other winds. Walk the length of the creek and look for crossings. There are likely crossings around A I and H because they lead to woods either across the street or the bend in the woods.

B is a good area funneling deer between the corn, the ditch/hedgerow, and the creek. You may find beds here and in between B and J. 

F is a little point in the woods where deer will cross the field. If your drawing is accurate, there is no corn directly above F and if so...that area is going to have alot of action similar to the ditch if there is swale or unfarmed ground. If the whole field is corn, meaning that little open area above F is too, it's still going to get some action.

C is another similar story only it adds the funneling effect of the ditch/hedgerow.

D plays on the cattle being fenced in. Deer are lazy and will take the quickest/easiest route to get to another spot in some situations, which is why funnels kill. Deer will transgress the corn, exiting and entering. The cattle fencing pinches down a spot right where the deer will first have a chance to get to the corn. As a bonus, I'd walk the entire line where the corn meets the cattle fencing. This likely may result in swale grass or travel routes. It might even not get alot of pressure or visibility to hunters, and you may find beds there.

G would be better more WSW than it is, but borders are what they are. You have a double inside corner pinching down, creating another prime spot. With SW winds, you might catch bucks moving through that funnel. I would expect if there is hunting on the adjacent property, that there is someone in that pinch, so look out for signs of pressure that might be forcing the deer to one side of the pinch, etc. It might tip you off to making a play on that info based on the pressure from that hunter.

post-575-0-36088500-1438198085_thumb.jpg

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

but you can decide which bedding area to leave alone. Give them a sanctuary. If you're going to hunt beds, I would only recommend it to a very experienced hunter and not a noobie.

I am not a fan of sanctuaries unless you own enough ground where you never once say "I wish I could hunt in my sanctuary."

I've only met a few people with that much land here in NY. This isn't the kind of acreage where that seems plausible. The whole area is nothing but funnels and bedding, anyway.

Maybe you stay out of areas until timing and conditions are right, but that's not a sanctuary. I encourage new hunters to hunt beds right off the bat in their "career." Make mistakes, learn from the experiences. Not learning how to bed hunt or the importance of buck bedding and what actually goes on in that process is probably the #1 thing that will result in a much fuller wall when all else is equal.

Edited by phade

LOL - to summarize - put a stand every 50yds around the field.  AND don't forget 30 plus cameras.

Not necessarily every 50 yards, but those are the spots to look into.

This parcel is a rare shape and hunts larger as a result. The creek area is bound to be a spot that could produce big bucks year in and year out during the rut phases.

• Like 1

Not necessarily every 50 yards, but those are the spots to look into.

This parcel is a rare shape and hunts larger as a result. The creek area is bound to be a spot that could produce big bucks year in and year out during the rut phases.

I am just breaking chops.  I agree that it lays out well.  Once the corn is cut, he can probably sit in the middle of that hedgerow and cover the edges of the entire back field in gun.

Phade! Thanks so much. Me being newer to hunting, I never realized how much potential this property has. I cant wait till im out there with my bow now. I have alot of scouting to do, and definitely picking up some extra trail cams. I'll be out Friday walking that creek. You have no idea how much I appreciate you taking the time to write that up. Maybe you'll be getting some venison in the mail this October! haha