Training your pet....

growalot

I love my Shepherds so easy to train loyal to the max. I do not enjoy walking dogs on leads So I train mine to walk a pace behind me unless given the OK..then they know to stay in eye sight. I have specific voice and hand commands I teach them.  I will not tolerate a deer chaser and they need to know what animals are off limits for a hunt and kill...and yes they are great hunters actually and mine have been unsurpassed vole killers.

Today once again Angel made me proud...coming back on a wooded trail,trying to stay out of the sun...eeggads!, she was about 30 yrds in front of me  and a fawn just jumped right out in front of her and froze.I mean a couple of feet. She went right into a Shepherd stance and then looked over her shoulder at me...fawn still standing there....I shook my head no and gave the return signal. She never even hesitated and turned away from that fawn...As she got closer she went into  the  aren't I a good girl wiggle and I showered her with hugs, praise and even a peck on her head. We then turned down a longer trail back..... leaving the fawn just standing still in the shadows....If they could just breed one that wouldn't shed 24/7! ;)

• Like 2

My buddies beagle likes to pick up empties around the pool and conveniently stash them in the shade at the corner of the pool house.

If we could teach her to open the refrigerator door and bring back full ones in return, that would be pretty sweet!

original.jpg

• Like 6

I have always had labs….very smart dogs, but my brother has always had shepherds. They were/are scary smart. He has had three and he would talk to them like they were people and they would do what he said. "close the door….. close the gate...Get the paper….find my shoes…. a bunch of other stuff.

My buddies beagle likes to pick up empties around the pool and conveniently stash them in the shade at the corner of the pool house.

If we could teach her to open the refrigerator door and bring back full ones in return, that would be pretty sweet!

Maybe she would if you bought her darker, stouter beer, LOL.

original.jpg

• Like 1

I have always had labs….very smart dogs, but my brother has always had shepherds. They were/are scary smart. He has had three and he would talk to them like they were people and they would do what he said. "close the door….. close the gate...Get the paper….find my shoes…. a bunch of other stuff.

Agreed.  My shepherd is better trained than any other dog I ever had and I put little effort into training her.  She just gets it.  That said, I wish I could break her from barking at other dogs when they pass in front of the house.  I guess that's just her nature but that is one thing I can't seem to train her to stop doing.  Shedding is a pain in the neck too. 

Very loyal.  She won't leave my side when I walk around the house unless I tell her to sit and stay.

• Like 1

Our dog is half Shepard, half hound dog, also scary smart. He always looks at you for permission to chase a bun bun or squirrel ,he waits til you say ok and returns the second he hears you call him back no matter how close he is to catching the creature.  

• Like 1

The two finger nose whap! the index and middle finger..a quick tap across the bridge of the nose every time they do that with a firm No! Then go about your business...any time they don't  bark a good girl and scratching of the ears.

I know YOU aren't whacking your dogs snout that hard but I've heard that you can damage the cartilage in a dogs nose so it isn't a good idea to smack their nose or snout. 

I do something similar but different.....I grab the snout with my left hand and whack the BACK of MY hand hard enough to make a loud sound, thus getting the message across hopefully with no damage to a vital body part on all dogs and especially a hunting dog.

Just the way I do it and recommend to others that have inquired how in the heck my dog can be so darn well behaved, MOST of the time!

• Like 1

Agreed.  My shepherd is better trained than any other dog I ever had and I put little effort into training her.  She just gets it.  That said, I wish I could break her from barking at other dogs when they pass in front of the house.  I guess that's just her nature but that is one thing I can't seem to train her to stop doing.  Shedding is a pain in the neck too. 

Very loyal.  She won't leave my side when I walk around the house unless I tell her to sit and stay.

Yup….I have 2 cop  friends who have K9' Police dogs (German Shepherds ). The dogs live with the cops. Besides police work, these dogs are amazingly smart. They take police commands in German. But  my friends also have them trained in English for Home.  Unreal..One friend has a 2 Mo. old baby. His dog is a giant puppy who will play with me all day. But if he goes into business mode, you're screwed. If the dog is told  "Watch the baby"… the dog would go from fetching a ball and playing with you to  seriously kicking  your ass if you get too close to the crib.

Dogs amaze me

Edited by ants