So you say deer is your number 1...

If their's a 140, 8 point or larger; a 130 pound babyless doe all within range, I will shoot the 140 any day of the week to fill my buck tag, if given a good shot and in season, of coarse. I will shoot the doe, if the buck isn't a sure thing, to fill a doe tag. All this is heavily dependent of my attitude for the day. I let smaller younger bucks walk by, observing them. This is why deer hunting is pretty dam inportant, to me. Now, fire away.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

I can shoot the limit on public land just gotta find the deer by scouting that being said I usally let alot pass I hate long drags

that's because I'm assuming you've practiced and learned how to scout. One can't simply watch a few tv shows and read a book and drive to public land and shoot a deer day 1.

It's not easy for a beginner. It's easier for those with experience.

It's all a good reason a lot of us are trophy hunters. Shooting a doe can become almost too easy. a 3.5 year old? whole new ball game.

I love the meat, I love the challenge and over all I just love being in the woods.

Before I answer this I want to make sure I have the question right.

You are not asking why we hunt deer, or if we prefer a buck over a doe ( or vise versa ).

You are asking us why we kill deer? Would we kill one deer over another? Correct?

Fun going to camp and hanging with a few buds for several days around the fireplace, shooting the breeze....deer are hard to get around us, but it's the challenge I guess...It's fun . A couple bottles of Merlot to wash down dinner is kinda cool too.. 

• Like 1

I could give the typical laundry list of reasons why I kill deer; meat, challenge, being in nature, deer camp, etc. But the real reason is no reason at all, it is an emotion, from my heart and soul... and not rational. I love it. 

Bingo!!!!

not to derail the thread but most people don't think it's easier to drag a buck by the hind legs.  nobody ever does it and always drags by the antlers.  i think you're lifting the heaviest part of the buck and trying to drag it on top of that. hind legs are long enough most don't even need to bend over while dragging.  you can do it however you want and I'm not saying it's wrong.  just think about it.

I use a sled .... Much easier drag .

not to derail the thread but most people don't think it's easier to drag a buck by the hind legs.  nobody ever does it and always drags by the antlers.  i think you're lifting the heaviest part of the buck and trying to drag it on top of that. hind legs are long enough most don't even need to bend over while dragging.  you can do it however you want and I'm not saying it's wrong.  just think about it.

I've dragged a few doe by the bag legs and it's definitely easier......but it does make a mess of the hide, wouldn't do it for a deer I planned on having mounted 

Mostly hunt for some venison. If / once that gets done, the thrill of getting semi-busted by a deer takes the cake! When you get a stomp and a snort but the deer doesn't bolt right away. Lets us know I / we did something wrong but not too awfully blatant.

Did you ever try to figure out exactly how many squirrels or rabbits or game birds you would have to kill in order to equal the amount of meals from just one deer. Hunting for deer is simply a more efficient way of meat-gathering. Bigger animal - more meat.

From a sporting standpoint, the deer (any deer) is a whole lot more intelligent than a lot of other game. There is a challenge component to it all. That is also one of the big draws to predator hunting. Anyone who is trying to imply that shooting a deer lacks challenge is either delusional, dishonest, or lives in an area that has a whole lot more deer than we've got. Or maybe there is something in the water there that makes their deer stupid. So yeah, there is a whole lot more challenge and accomplishment in shooting a deer vs. shooting a squirrel. Anybody want to argue that point?......lol.

• Like 1

Did you ever try to figure out exactly how many squirrels or rabbits or game birds you would have to kill in order to equal the amount of meals from just one deer. Hunting for deer is simply a more efficient way of meat-gathering. Bigger animal - more meat.

From a sporting standpoint, the deer (any deer) is a whole lot more intelligent than a lot of other game. There is a challenge component to it all. That is also one of the big draws to predator hunting. Anyone who is trying to imply that shooting a deer lacks challenge is either delusional, dishonest, or lives in an area that has a whole lot more deer than we've got. Or maybe there is something in the water there that makes their deer stupid. So yeah, there is a whole lot more challenge and accomplishment in shooting a deer vs. shooting a squirrel. Anybody want to argue that point?......lol.

No arguing that but it is pretty simple for a hunter to take a deer in most places..A Hunter!   Now as far as the deer go they all look pretty much the same in the big picture. Was just wondering what it took for you to pick..That Deer..to pull the trigger or loose an arrow on?

No arguing that but it is pretty simple for a hunter to take a deer in most places..A Hunter!   Now as far as the deer go they all look pretty much the same in the big picture. Was just wondering what it took for you to pick..That Deer..to pull the trigger or loose an arrow on?

Umm, it needs to be standing somewhere that it is legal for me to shoot it.  I know you keep claiming that it is easy for a hunter to kill a deer, and maybe that is the case when you have 900 acres of your own to hunt.  For those of us who ONLY hunt state land, it is a lot more of a challenge.  I have killed deer 2 of the past 5 years, which to me is a good success when you are hunting either: 1) Overcrowded small patches of state land where people will walk 10 yards away and sit down or 2) Big woods up north were the deer are much more scarce and unpredictable.  Personally, I have moved onto #2 and ANY deer is a good deer as long as its legal and ethical.

• Like 1

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm all about the big antlers, but not for the reason most would think. At this stage of my life I am more about the most challenging hunts... big, more mature, bucks are just more of a challenge to find and to kill. Handcuffing myself by hunting with traditional weapons and hunting in areas that most hunters find intimidating adds to the excitement and challenge. It is never really about what animal I kill as much as how I do it. I'm not that guy that would shoot a Boone & Crockett buck off my back porch... if I can't hunt him I won't shoot him. It's all about the challenge of the hunt and the story behind it. I would still hunt smaller bucks if they gave me the challenge and thrill of a good hunt, but they don't. Honestly, I wish they still did.

• Like 3

Ha ha... I do understand that we tend to put forward an image of delusional prowess sometimes just to impress readers, but I tend to take a more honest and realistic view of things.

In terms of what makes me decide what deer to shoot, it generally relies on an instant decision based on whatever deer offers a good ethical, high percentage, shot and contains an adequate amount of meat to make my time worthwhile. Oh, and of course it has to be a deer that is legal for the tags that I have.

• Like 1

Umm, it needs to be standing somewhere that it is legal for me to shoot it.  I know you keep claiming that it is easy for a hunter to kill a deer, and maybe that is the case when you have 900 acres of your own to hunt.  For those of us who ONLY hunt state land, it is a lot more of a challenge.  I have killed deer 2 of the past 5 years, which to me is a good success when you are hunting either: 1) Overcrowded small patches of state land where people will walk 10 yards away and sit down or 2) Big woods up north were the deer are much more scarce and unpredictable.  Personally, I have moved onto #2 and ANY deer is a good deer as long as its legal and ethical.

I spend 3/4 of the hunting season standing on state land and kill many and could kill piles. A 2 hour drive from most peoples homes in Ny state would put them onto deer rich areas open to the public. After that its on the hunter to be able to do his part.

So you are a meat hunter and any legal brown deer is down. No problems there. Your Choice.

• Like 1

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm all about the big antlers, but not for the reason most would think. At this stage of my life I am more about the most challenging hunts... big, more mature, bucks are just more of a challenge to find and to kill. Handcuffing myself by hunting with traditional weapons and hunting in areas that most hunters find intimidating adds to the excitement and challenge. It is never really about what animal I kill as much as how I do it. I'm not that guy that would shoot a Boone & Crockett buck off my back porch... if I can't hunt him I won't shoot him. It's all about the challenge of the hunt and the story behind it. I would still hunt smaller bucks if they gave me the challenge and thrill of a good hunt, but they don't. Honestly, I wish they still did.

So you are a trophy hunter of sorts as i and many are. Most wont say that because they think it handcuffs them in some way. I would not shoot 90% of the bucks that walk the woods these days but thats by choice. To each their own.

• Like 1

So you are a meat hunter and any legal brown deer is down. No problems there. Your Choice.

Yeah, I ashamedly have to confess that I actually like venison. What do you do? ..... throw the meat away?  And so far all of my deer have been legal and brown although I wouldn't hesitate to take a piebald if the opportunity arose. And yes they have all gone down when I shot them. I try real hard to make that happen. Yeah, and fortunately, so far, we do have a few choices left. Ain't America great!

So you are a trophy hunter of sorts as i and many are. Most wont say that because they think it handcuffs them in some way. I would not shoot 90% of the bucks that walk the woods these days but thats by choice. To each their own.

I don't consider myself a trophy hunter... if it came down to hunting two big mature bucks, it wouldn't be about which was bigger... it would be about which was the hardest to hunt and would offer the better and more exciting experience. I like big antlers because I think they are beautiful and majestic, not to show off as a trophy. I really don't see my successful hunts as huge accomplishments ( raising your kids to be responsible adults is an accomplishment ) I see them as exciting adventures that enhance the enjoyment of life.

• Like 1

Yeah, I ashamedly have to confess that I actually like venison. What do you do? ..... throw the meat away?  And so far all of my deer have been legal and brown although I wouldn't hesitate to take a piebald if the opportunity arose. And yes they have all gone down when I shot them. I try real hard to make that happen. Yeah, and fortunately, so far, we do have a few choices left. Ain't America great!

Nope..Meat is good..Funny that nobody has asked about the sex of the deer. It takes a special male to be killed but any adult female will be taken. They all pretty much look the same right? 

For the record I do like hunting does with muzzleloader late season... but mostly because I'm after venison. I guess its more like shopping for meat more than thrilling to me... being in the woods is more the excitement for me during that time... and I really enjoy shooting an old school patch & ball muzzleloader... this year I am looking at using my flintlock exclusively during the late hunt... puts a little hitch in the giddyup!

I don't consider myself a trophy hunter... if it came down to hunting two big mature bucks, it wouldn't be about which was bigger... it would be about which was the hardest to hunt and would offer the better and more exciting experience. I like big antlers because I think they are beautiful and majestic, not to show off as a trophy. I really don't see my successful hunts as huge accomplishments ( raising your kids to be responsible adults is an accomplishment ) I see them as exciting adventures that enhance the enjoyment of life.

Being around thousands of inches of them, once a year must help too, LOL.