NY is broke, but....

WNYBuckHunter

Apparently, according to the NYS Troopers union, they shouldnt be driving cars with more than 125k miles on them. Silly me, I thought that police departments had mechanic shops that fixed the cars when they broke, and that these cars racked up a whole bunch of miles rather quickly because they are on the road so much. So now they are going to be replacing the cars every year or two? I thought the state finances were not so great. Now they have to come up with funds to refresh Troopers cars more often? I wonder where that money will come from. Hmmm, they wouldnt be looking for the tax payers to foot the bill would they?

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s3868524.shtml

• Like 4

I don't think the problem is related to mileage, but rather to corrosion from road salt. After about 3 years, almost any vehicle operated on NY state roads is toast.

You’re kidding..right?  My Camery has over 270,000 miles on it.  It’s a 2001.  The car is still running fine and I have no need to replace it.  It got its first tune up at 200,000 miles and is on its second battery…still has its original; shocks/struts, exhust, ect...passes inspection each year

This car gets absolutely NO regular maintenance and was drive on NYS roads it’s whole life. 

I suspect the NYS police drive their cars harder then most, but they should be able to get more than 200K out of each car (assume no accidents)

Edited by mmkay
  • Like 2

I do believe that just simply washing the car will be more cost prohibitive to make it last a little longer than a year or two.  those things cost around $50,000 for a car.  forget the SUV they'll probably get many of.  don't want them driving around trying to do their job in a clunker or something with crazy amounts of mileage on them but still a year or two??  I've just recently here around Albany started to see very few of the old Crown Vic's.  that's going to be a hike in budget.

• Like 1

My truck sees all kinds of salt, it has almost 100k on it and not a spot of rust besides where some idiot side swiped it and I havent replaced the fender yet. This is just plain bogus union and government nonsense. Its no wonder our tax rates are so high, they spend money like drunken sailors. (awaiting pygmy's drunken sailor comment...)

• Like 1

just found this on the web...not confirmed, but working in NYC its seems accurate. 

According to the Taxicab Factbook, the average NYC taxi drives 70,000 miles per year. The average age of a NYC taxi is 3.3 years. If we assume that a taxi will likely last about 6 years, then you're looking at a 400-500K miles

If a NYC taxi can last 500,000 miles, so can NYS police car.

• Like 1

I guess you just gotta hope that the day you or a family member needs The Police, is not the same day the car they're responding in decides to crap out.......but seriously, I think the theory is that the older and more mileage there is on a car, the more it costs to maintain.........and obviously this is mostly true for fleet vehicles, not cars that are cared for by the owner.

I wonder what costs more, replacing a Police car or supporting a family of 5 or 6 via our Welfare system for a year or ten????????? and hey, the Police may actually be of some use to one of us some day....the latter? not so much.

I need both equally.  I get up at 4:30am each day. On train by 5:30am and get home at 8pm each night.  I'm getting tired of those that don't work or only work part time jobs for 20 years

I work more than half my day to support government employees and socialite parasites (pay over 55% a year of my income in taxes).  I could do without either of them.  In 5 years I will be free..I hope the cop cars last this long.  I'm moving south to a right to work paradise absents of PSU and freeloaders

Edited by mmkay

just found this on the web...not confirmed, but working in NYC its seems accurate. 

According to the Taxicab Factbook, the average NYC taxi drives 70,000 miles per year. The average age of a NYC taxi is 3.3 years. If we assume that a taxi will likely last about 6 years, then you're looking at a 400-500K miles

If a NYC taxi can last 500,000 miles, so can NYS police car.

the funny thing is, is that many taxi cabs are decommissioned police cars that are bought at auction.....

NYC does not put down the amount of Salt that they use up here ( at least by me ) some days the trucks come by 3 or more times a day spreading the sand/salt mix almost every day.Threw the winter months. My 99 PU has gotten new brake and fuel lines every 3-1/2 years , the chassis is rotted threw behind the rear wheels and every other year I would have to get new rotors.

And I would pressure wash it every day.

I have seen the police go into car washes very often around me with there ( police ) cars and SUV's.

I wonder what costs more, replacing a Police car or supporting a family of 5 or 6 via our Welfare system for a year or ten????????? and hey, the Police may actually be of some use to one of us some day....the latter? not so much.

Your taxes are paying for all of that. Its cheaper to fix a car than replace it. Hell you can swap an engine and transmission for far less. Unless the frame is rotted out and unsafe, its cheaper to fix. 125k miles is nothing.

NYC does not put down the amount of Salt that they use up here ( at least by me ) some days the trucks come by 3 or more times a day spreading the sand/salt mix almost every day.Threw the winter months. My 99 PU has gotten new brake and fuel lines every 3-1/2 years , the chassis is rotted threw behind the rear wheels and every other year I would have to get new rotors.

I have seen the police go into car washes very often around me with there ( police ) cars and SUV's.

I live in the rust belt, and cars dont go through those things (other than rotors) that often. Your frame is rotted, but the truck is 16 years old. Theres a treatment they do at companies like Ziebart that do wonders for keeping things rust free. They could spend an extra 600 to 700 bucks per car and have it undercoated.

I cant imagine anyone making excuses for this blatant waste.

Your taxes are paying for all of that. Its cheaper to fix a car than replace it. Hell you can swap an engine and transmission for far less. Unless the frame is rotted out and unsafe, its cheaper to fix. 125k miles is nothing.

yeah, but at least if I call the Police they will come and hopefully the problem will get resolved or at the very least they will have to listen to me bitch for 30 minutes or so...........where will I ever get the chance to cash in on a Welfare recipient?...just imagine this phone call "Hello, is this 911? yes it is sir, how can we help you?...... my grass is getting too high what should I do?.....stay on the line with me sir and don't panic, we have a welfare recipient on the way to cut it for you..."

Edited by jjb4900

It sounds like you got an Toyota / chevy truck from the 90's.  they had issue with the steel they were using

just a suggestion.  after you power wash the underside of your truck, get some used oil and old paint brush and brush oil on the frame and brake lines.  I did this on my old suburan once or twice a year.  messy job, but it protects the brake lines/frame a bit

125k on a Police car is entirely different than 125k on a civilian car. In addition to the actual miles, Police cars are almost constantly running. An officer running radar is sitting in a running car…an officer writing a report is sitting in a running car..an officer who is out side of his/her car investigating an incident where the flashing lights are on leaves the car running. An officer who is outside his/her car investigating an incident, in the winter time ,will leave the car running to keep the windows from frosting up. At the end of a shift the officer turns the keys over to another officer, and the cycle continues. Idling hours take a toll on cars. after 100K things start to break.

125k on a Police car is entirely different than 125k on a civilian car. In addition to the actual miles, Police cars are almost constantly running. An officer running radar is sitting in a running car…an officer writing a report is sitting in a running car..an officer who is out side of his/her car investigating an incident where the flashing lights are on leaves the car running. An officer who is outside his/her car investigating an incident, in the winter time ,will leave the car running to keep the windows from frosting up. At the end of a shift the officer turns the keys over to another officer, and the cycle continues. Idling hours take a toll on cars. after 100K things start to break.

yeah, look at engine hours instead of mileage..........Police car usually ='s 24 hours a day, average civilian car ='s less than 2 (on average)..........big difference.

Swap the engine, it doesnt cost $50k+, like a new cruiser does.