Catskills Land - What to look for?

I'll start off by saying that I disagree with this idea, but my Dad (61 years old, but still in very good shape) is very serious about buying land in the Catskills. I disagree with wasting money on land like this as opposed to either buying land in a more profitable area (closer to NYC) or just spending the same money to go on a bunch of hunts. But this is what he wants to do since he has already killed a variety of species across the US and Canada, but still loves his whitetails.

Anyway, he really misses rifle hunting and now that he is retired, he wants a piece of land he can call his own and use round (shooting, walking around, scouting, hunting, etc.). For many years (before I was born/when I really young), my Dad hunted Margaretville, Arkville, etc. in the 70's and 80's with friends and his Dad and they killed some nice bucks.

He is looking to spend approx $60k cash (or less) with taxes around $1k per year. He has been looking at several properties in Delaware County, which is about 2 hours from his house in Putnam County. I suggested maybe looking in Orange, Ulster, Sullivan, where it would only be like 1 hour from home.

For those of you familiar with these areas, what are your thoughts on areas to look at, type of land, etc.? he would be interested in putting in a food plot if necessary as well.

Thanks in advance.

not familiar with those areas but that 1 hour closer would be more taxes and higher price range.  sounds like he's looking for safe keeping investment, not profit.  land is one of few things where more of it isn't made every day.  some can see potential in what hardly anyone wants at the time.

First off, you are correct this isn't a good idea, especially for someone his age.  

For $60K, you'll get a small piece of land but probably won't have a cabin on it, thus you have to drive back and forth the 2 hours or try to find a motel, which might be a good distance away.

I hunted in Delaware county, around the Hobart area which is not too far from Margaretsville, Arkville from 1991-2013.  The area is surely NOT overrun with deer, but I had good success over the years.  You definitely have to put your time in, however, to be successful.  In recent years with antler restrictions in the area along with very few doe permits issued, the area has lost a good bit of its charm for me.  Even if I was given some land in the area, I'd probably sell it and look elsewhere where there are no AR's and more doe permits issued.

My .02.

• Like 1

I agree with your Dad. There is nothing like having your own land to hunt, work and relax on. My place is in Delaware County also, I'm 57 years young and will buy more land if any becomes available that abuts mine. My neighbors think I'm nuts because I work dawn to dusk on food plots and forest improvement every time I'm there. I tell them the outdoor work is my mental therapy and that's the truth. Encourage him and help with what ever he wants to do. You only get one father in life. Maybe your father and I have evolved into having the satisfaction and pleasure of not needing to see herds of deer and 180" bucks, but knowing there is not another hunter sitting behind the next tree. There is nothing stopping him from hunting on his own land and taking trips also.

It will also be a great place for grandchildren to bond with Grandpa

• Like 4

we have a place just outside Margaretville and Arkville..........more than enough State and DEP land where if it was me, I'd spend the majority of the cash on the house with a smaller tract of land. Hunting is ok, and from what I've seen in your other posts, probably on par with what you've been seeing with some areas slightly better. Now, hunting aside, there is no shortage of stuff to do year round....golf course nearby, Pepacton Reservoir for fishing and boating, Trout Streams, hiking, skiing, you name it.....plenty for the non hunting family members to do as well. Oh, and the bear population is growing every year.

Thanks all.

Steve - Thanks for the input. He doesn't care about a cabin or building a home on the land. He is also fine with AR's and has 0 interest in shooting does.

I'm trying to steer him towards vacant land in Putnam county/Dutchess county where at least some day when me and my brother inherit it, it is worth something for someone who wants to build a house, but then taxes are of course many times higher for my Dad until then.

I'd rather him get 4-5 acres bordering unbuildable land closer to home than 15-20 acres up in the Catskills, but he seems to want to rifle hunt again and for now we do still have a spot to shotgun hunt in Putnam county that has produced many bucks over the years.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Taxes aren't exactly low in Delaware county either.  Probably not as high as Putnam/Dutchess, but you will be paying more than you should for the barren land.

I hear you on the AR's and in not being interested in shooting does, but for $60K without a place to spend the night, along with the yearly taxes, you guys would do way better continuing to go on those outfitted hunts.  You can go on a good many trips for years to come for that kind of money.

I guess it will ultimately be your Dad's decision, but knowing that it took me 3+ hours to get to my spot in Delaware county, I surely would never consider owning land even 2 hours away if I didn't have a place to spend the night on it.  Driving back and forth after each hunt becomes a pain in the ass mighty fast, that I can assure you.

• Like 1

Biz, from the pictures you posted on here last year of your Dad and his buck, he looked like a pretty young 61 year old..........he may very well get to enjoy it for another 20+ years, I'd help him find what would make him happy, The Catskills are a beautiful place.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

If It is $60K in Orange county, it will not be big enough to hunt on unless it backs up to a state forest.

There are a couple more developments in the works in Orange, so land is disappearing to developers.

The only area I would suggest is land surrounding Huckleberry around Port Jervis area.  Otherwise buy a piece by a rural farm and get a deal to hunt on the farmer's land.

Thx for all the comments guys. He has been walking some property in the Catskills (15 acres or so) and walked a nice piece in Putnam today (5 acres but borders over 1,000 of non buildable land

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live outside of the 2 towns he hunted in the past as said taxes are not cheap as people think after you put a dwelling on it. Now the area has changed a lot in the years since he hunted here last , A lot thicker , not as many farms and not as many hunters to keep deer moving.I moved up here full time 12 + years ago and would never move back to the flatlands.But travel time if that is important once you get off of 87 or Toconic state pkw. there are no major roads.If he does not want to build this is what I would look for A piece of property that has Elec. on it or going right to it. A working well and an approved septic system.You could go up there with a camper and motor home and be very comfortable + it would be easier to sell in the future. As mentioned there is Plenty of DEP ( NYC ) and NY. State land in the area.

Thx for all the comments guys. He has been walking some property in the Catskills (15 acres or so) and walked a nice piece in Putnam today (5 acres but borders over 1,000 of non buildable land

whereabouts in The Catskills??

I live outside of the 2 towns he hunted in the past as said taxes are not cheap as people think after you put a dwelling on it. Now the area has changed a lot in the years since he hunted here last , A lot thicker , not as many farms and not as many hunters to keep deer moving.I moved up here full time 12 + years ago and would never move back to the flatlands.But travel time if that is important once you get off of 87 or Toconic state pkw. there are no major roads.If he does not want to build this is what I would look for A piece of property that has Elec. on it or going right to it. A working well and an approved septic system.You could go up there with a camper and motor home and be very comfortable + it would be easier to sell in the future. As mentioned there is Plenty of DEP ( NYC ) and NY. State land in the area.

Thanks. He doesn't want to build, but what you described makes sense.

Looks like $60,000 in that area will get around 4-8 acres as an average.

If he's willing to drive an extra two hours he can get 4 acres and a cabin for $50,000.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Center-Line-Rd-Providence-NY-12074/2105348119_zpid/

Plenty of state land near there and good fishing in the streams and lakes in the area. It's also about 20/30 minutes from the Sacandaga Lake.

I have been bugging my g/f to put a bid in, but, She says "House" first, my camp later.

Looks like $60,000 in that area will get around 4-8 acres as an average.

If he's willing to drive an extra two hours he can get 4 acres and a cabin for $50,000.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Center-Line-Rd-Providence-NY-12074/2105348119_zpid/

Plenty of state land near there and good fishing in the streams and lakes in the area. It's also about 20/30 minutes from the Sacandaga Lake.

I have been bugging my g/f to put a bid in, but, She says "House" first, my camp later.

$50K for that dinky cabin and only 4 acres, plus another 2 hours drive time?  No way!   I've seen bigger sheds on display at Home Depot.

• Like 1

Rob - $40k could get 10+ acres in Delaware county easily. Again, he's not interested in a cabin/home.

Just 1 of tons of examples

http://www.landwatch.com/Delaware-County-New-York-Land-for-sale/pid/303765669

I know where that is.  Honestly $40K for 10 lousy acres seems like a crime.

Will your Dad be hunting there by himself if you aren't with him?  Something to think about as he gets older, and as you just got married and once you have kids it won't be as easy to accompany him.  

I know where that is. Honestly $40K for 10 lousy acres seems like a crime.

Will your Dad be hunting there by himself if you aren't with him? Something to think about as he gets older, and as you just got married and once you have kids it won't be as easy to accompany him.

Yes, he hunts alone all the time and just enjoys being the woods even outside of hunting season.

Do your research. As you get older ( and I am older then your father is ) I think SOB and Fast F. will agree. Look how far to a Hospital, Drug store, Supermarket,Gas station with a repair shop, Motel or BB. And most important if you hunt alone Cell Phone Service, which many areas around here still Do Not have.

• Like 1

First I would look for land adjoining state,county or other large tract that your food plots could draw from and give you more hunting land free. I would want maintained roads not seasonal or private with electric available as this makes the land more valuable and desirable when you want to sell. I would also pick a size and not reveal my budget cause I/m sure they can find you land especially hunting land for a decent price, the going rate they throw around 3k per acre or 4k usually refers to flat land that can be farmed. Hilly forested land is usually less and usually the good timber has been taken already. When realtors ask me my budget I tell them as little as possible. Good luck to your dad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got my Dad off the Catskills land due to the distance. He has recently been walking properties in Orange County in 3M. Anyone hunt there? Rifles allowed which is what my Dad wants and most places he has looked at are around 40-50minutes away all highway