Logging Lease Land vs State Forest

sailinghudson25

I really have not done any State forest land in the Adirondacks,  but I have done State Forest hunts in the Catskills and the NY/MA border. 

I have been with a hunting lease for a few years now.  I do see a deer more or less every day I hunt.

How do the two compare.  Let's say in this lease about 10% of the forest is young, brush, yong trees, or grassy logging trails. 

What's your guess on population density. 

Also, does the increase in food and more mixture of terrain make the deer a little more habitual in travel patterns?

Finally, do you think a hunting spot like is worth sitting in a known decent spot, or going at it on foot.  Let's assume no snow cover at the time.

• 1 month later...

If you like to actually see deer, I would stick with the lease.  Hunting in the Adirondacks is not for the faint of heart.  To be successful, you generally need to put in a lot of miles just to find some deer and sign.  And to kill one is no easy feat.  I have spent many seasons in the Adirondacks that I only saw 2-3 deer in a season.  If you want to kill one they normally don't stick around long to give you a great shot, so you have to be proficient with quick off hand shooting.  It can be very rewarding to actually kill a deer and there is a chance that you could kill a big buck, but you need to be willing and able to put in lot of time and effort to be successful.

The increase in food and mixture of terrain in your lease situation is definitely helpful in patterning deer.

As for your last question, if it pertains to hunting in the Adirondacks, I would suggest hunting on foot until you can find the freshest sign.  At that point, you could try sitting if it is near a food source or a heavily used travel corridor during the rut.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...