what marked this tree

45/70

Not knowing what time of year this was done, and whether or not bucks still had their antlers, I would expect that it was a buck rub. But I offer up the possibility that it may be a bear just as an alternative theory.

I found this mark right after deer season. Its a place that I don't check on much during deer season. But I due Now.

Its quite a walk from the house on the old farm to this place.

And that yr I was seeing a lot of bears about every 6 weeks they would be by two tear down my bird feeders.

Here's one sitting on my feeder.

post-6409-0-75667100-1440494675_thumb.jp

Edited by 45/70
  • Like 1

I would say the brow tines of a buck. He pushes his forehead into the tree, makes the punctures with the brow's then moves his head and neck up or down then repeat all over again. Have seen them do this many times. And have seen a lot of pine trees and hemlocks tore up by bucks.

When a bear marks it's territory, it will reach up as high as it can to show how big he is. When another bear finds the mark, if he is bigger he will mark higher than the first bear as a sort of challenge. Or if he does not measure up, he may mark as well but will move along and not stay in the area.  

Buck, around here pine,fir,spruce are prefer rub trees as they are very aromatic, cherry is another favorite. Any bear sign I've seen is much higher and you can see every claw mark in parallel, they don't slash trees from different directions

• Like 4

I say buck rub…the two heavy rakes in the middle look like they were made by big brow tines. Not sure if a bear would just leave the two cuts with its whole claw.The small branch in the photo to the left looks like a buck raked it as he was working the trunk.

• Like 1

Look at the top right of the tree there is a old mark the same but smaller. I have a willow tree that has the same splits my tree guy told me soft wood in really cold temps the sap will freeze expanding and making the bark split. If the marks are lumped out around them I would think that's what happened