Hickory Nuts

Since squirrel season opens Sept 1, I decided to check out one of my favorite hickory groves yesterday..

As I entered the north end of the grove, I was at first a little concerned..The first few trees I checked had practically no cuttings or hulls on the ground and my binoculars revealed very few nuts on the upper branches...

However, after moving further into the grove, I started seeing fresh cutting and hulls littering the ground and I could see lots of nuts hanging on the branches...

I stood still for a few moments, and soon it sounded like it was raining lightly.. There were squirrels in the leafy treetops cutting away, and the cuttings were falling all around me.. I suspect that the squirrels have been working beechnuts and now are just getting started on the hickories..

Any of you squirrel hunters been checking the hickories in your area ?

I dont squirrel hunt anymore but the trees in my area are loaded. I have a hickory in my yard and the ground is just littered with nuts and chewed up hulls. Like you said, sometimes it sounds like a light rain, with the squirrels chewing away up high, and the little pieces falling through the branches.. I have lived here 15 years and have never seen such a good crop.

• Like 1