Smoked Kabanosy

Fletch

Had some venison stew meat to get used up so made up 20 pounds of smoked kabanosy. Man it came out good. Started out with 20 pounds and after smoke and dry down to less than 15. It was close to 10 by the time it got packed. It may not last another week!! lol

K1_zpslme2imrk.jpg

All mixed, ground, stuffed in sheep casings ready for the smoker.

K2_zpsen5r0tk3.jpg

In the smoker.

K3_zpsmxhfmm7y.jpg

In the cooler hanging and drying for a few days.

K4_zpsfuynjmbt.jpg

Done drying.

K5_zpsfujlztnt.jpg

Vacuum packed.

• Like 5

Starting making my own sausages has been awesome. This is the best smoked sausage I have made so far. I had to do a couple runs in the smoker I had to much to fit in one load. A home built big one would be cool. Share pics when you start that project gf!!

Wooly we can work out some deal I am sure. I know there is some secret hunting/fishing spot you feel the need to tell me about!! :taunt:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I actually used the recipe that was published in the Outdoor News a while back  by Hank Shaw.

2.5 pounds venison, boar, bear... I used venison

10 ounces of pork fat

3 tbs kosher salt

1/2 tspn instacure #1

1 tspn sugar

2 tspn black pepper

1 tspn nutmeg

2 tspn caraway seed

1/4 tspn celery seed

1/3 cup ice water

I of course multiplied ingredients to make 20 pounds

ground with the fine die

mixed in ingredients

stuffed in sheep casings

smoked with cherry until they hit 160 degrees internal temp.

let them hang in a 40 degree cooler for a week to dry out

• Like 1

would you mind sharing the smoking process? approximate time, temp and how long you apply the smoke for?......I seem to have a problem using to much or too heavy of a smoke and it leaves a bitter taste on the outside.

I used my electric smoker on these. I set the temp at 220 and put the cherry chips on once the smoker was up to temp. I wanna say these smoked for a good 6-7 hours to get to temp. I did a couple batches so that is a good average. I like a bit heavier smoke than you it sounds and I put the smoke to them for a good 4 hours. You might want to half that. I checked the temps and pulled at 160 internal.  The best thing to do is make a few small batches with different woods and smoke lengths. KEEP a notebook to jot down your temps/times/woods.....that is my mistake I forget to take notes and forget what I did the last time!! Believe me it will save you from repeating mistakes.

You may want to try a lighter fruit wood, sometimes woods like hickory and mesquite can be strong to some tastes.

A great forum to visit for smoking input is:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/

Edited by Fletch

would you mind sharing the smoking process? approximate time, temp and how long you apply the smoke for?......I seem to have a problem using to much or too heavy of a smoke and it leaves a bitter taste on the outside.

Are yours cold when they are going into the smoker?  Cold meat will form creosote on the outside, leaving a bitter taste.  To avoid this, take them out of the fridge 45 min before going into the smoker and let them warm up to room temp. 

Are yours cold when they are going into the smoker?  Cold meat will form creosote on the outside, leaving a bitter taste.  To avoid this, take them out of the fridge 45 min before going into the smoker and let them warm up to room temp. 

I'll try that as well.........thanks for the tip.

smoke typically wont penetrate very deeply. you will get a good smoke ring of about 1/4" maybe a little more. That can be achieved in about an hour. after that it is just intensity of the smoke in that ring that you are increasing. experiment with different woods. I am not a fan of hickory smoke. Apple and cherry will have a mild flavor and I use it a lot for poultry. alder works very nice with fish and I use oak and mesquite for many of the venison sausages I do. I like maple for pork, especially when using a brown sugar based rub.

buy one of these. It will allow you to monitor internal temps and avoid opening the cabinet. They work great. The temp is taken at the very tip of the probe so adjust insertion depth accordingly.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/polder-classic-cooking-thermometer/1164615.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dmeat%252Bthermometer%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=meat+thermometer