1 and done.

First-light

So sitting around the campfire along with a few hunters from Ohio they just can'y believe that NY hasn't gone to the 1 buck rule. It grows big deer and cuts down on the doe population. These guys read some of the NY forums and see how hunter vs hunter are pitted against each other. They say 1 buck rule kind of rolls everything up into 1 rule. You are done when you shoot your buck wether small or big. You need meat you go back out and shoot the does. AR's come into place cause guys are letting the small ones walk. I haven't made up my mind on this but it sounds pretty good and would solve some of the issues her in NY. Thoughts….?

• Like 3

when they made dmp tags doe only there was a huge jump in buck numbers i dont think there needs to be more bucks just less does if you only want to shoot one then only shoot one this is exactly what hunter against hunter is do what you want and let others do as they want but dont take others rights to shoot a second buck away

It's been a long time since I took two bucks in one season. I live at a distance from my camp but I can see it different to the guy who has a lot of time and would like a shot at a second buck? It kind of locks everything up together. You want meat shoot some does, trophy hunter no problem you are looking for the biggest deer and will let the small ones walk. "Brown its down" are going to have to take some valium cause you will need to know its a doe to shoot. 

• Like 1

The only negative to a one-buck-rule is that it is like so many of these quick-fix ideas in that it is in no way tied to the size of the herd or the needs of the habitat. It would boost the doe take for sure, even in places where that really is not needed or wanted. I do like regs that are customized to the deer population and the habitat. To me that seems to be the proper way to manage a deer herd. The one buck rule is another one-size fits all kind of regulation.

With all my criticism, I really do think the DEC is on the right track, assuming you have any confidence at all that they have the slightest clue about population densities and habitat problems that are being created by areas of high deer densities (the jury is still out on that one ....lol). The idea of applying special management activities ONLY to areas that need it does seem to be a correct attempt at good deer management.

The One-buck-rule seems to be a random statewide shotgun approach with no specific targets. I'm never in favor of those kinds of management tactics.

• Like 2

I am not in favor of it. 1. As doc points out is a one size fits all plan without considering population and habitat and hunting pressure.

2. If it's true (as stated above) that only like 5 percent of hunters take a second buck, then what damage is that second buck really doing to the herd? Not much.

3. With basically a 3 to 4 month season depending upon where in NY you live, I really value the opportunity to tag a second buck if I choose.

4. Many ny hunters travel from downstate (nyc, Long Island)!to hunt. Ohio does not have this dynamic. If I shoot a buck on Long Island early in season, there goes my tourism dollars that I normally spend in 3a. (Can't shoot does there).

5. There are places in ny where deer numbers are low, Like ADK. Does should probably not be killed there. So if that's the only area you hunt, after you shoot one buck your season would be over.

I do not know very much about Ohio, but unlike ny, isn't most if not all of the state the same type of habitat? Do they have areas that are over run with deer that need special attention?

• Like 1

Ohio isn't perfect, but their system is light years ahead of ours. *Queue the people who say NY isn't Ohio*

You are right - we have a crappy system with crappy people with crappy rules with crappy decisions and hunters who can rarely make things happen (management/regs-wise).

NY could be much better run and the results would be much better hunting and management of the resource.

• Like 1

I am not in favor of it. 1. As doc points out is a one size fits all plan without considering population and habitat and hunting pressure.

2. If it's true (as stated above) that only like 5 percent of hunters take a second buck, then what damage is that second buck really doing to the herd? Not much.

3. With basically a 3 to 4 month season depending upon where in NY you live, I really value the opportunity to tag a second buck if I choose.

4. Many ny hunters travel from downstate (nyc, Long Island)!to hunt. Ohio does not have this dynamic. If I shoot a buck on Long Island early in season, there goes my tourism dollars that I normally spend in 3a. (Can't shoot does there).

5. There are places in ny where deer numbers are low, Like ADK. Does should probably not be killed there. So if that's the only area you hunt, after you shoot one buck your season would be over.

I do not know very much about Ohio, but unlike ny, isn't most if not all of the state the same type of habitat? Do they have areas that are over run with deer that need special attention?

Ohio has similar issues just like us. Draw a line from the NE to the SW and you pretty much (generally speaking) get the great deer area from the poor deer area. They have flat as a level farm fields and hills/mountains/hollers that will make you vomit trying to climb and hunt.

I have zero doubts we could implement a large portion of their "system" and reap major rewards.

Don't like the one buck rule. Don't think a lot shoot two bucks so impact would be minimal.

Although I do think it would make people more selective in the buck they shoot. Kind of a forced voluntary antler restriction.

Would prefer to go to a system where the second buck would fall under some kind of antler restrictions. 

• Like 2

Even though I have not killed 2 bucks in a year since 2004 I’m not in favor of a of a 1 buck rule. I hunt wmu that gives out few dmp’s so if I don’t get a dmp then I’m done. What I would be in favor of would be a point restriction of up to 4pt’s on one side for the 2nd buck and you have to turn in the first tag at the dec office. And the first buck has to be killed in the bow or ml season. This would be like what we had in the 90’s where you got 1 buck tag but if you killed a buck in bow season you could turn in your filled tag at the dec and get a 2nd buck tag good for the gun season.

I remember hearing that only 5% of NY hunters take two bucks, so it wouldn't make any difference if we went to a one buck rule

It wouldnt make much of a difference in buck numbers, but it would tend to make more guys choosy on what buck they do shoot. Not everyone, but Id venture to guess that most would not shoot the first buck they saw and then wait for a larger buck, they would hold out for that bigger one to begin with. That would end up with the younger bucks having more of a chance to grow another year, so now you dont need ARs.

More guys would be willing to shoot does for meat, so it would help with those issues as well.

• Like 4

We use to have a 1 buck rule in ny, and then the archers and muzzleloader hunter pushed for a Tag specfic to bow or muzzleloader . As for comparisons, the rules regs and hunter numbers are quite different in ohio than ny, trespass law especially. You are not comparing apples to apples

Gun season is 10 days that's it... and it's post rut. That's is a much bigger factor in ohio large bucks as well has having to have written permissio n to be on a property stating what implement and what season you have the right to be there on.so many more factors than a 1 buck rule in ohio.

Truth is if you want a big buck in ny do your scouting ,put your time in ....

Edited by G-Man

Ohio isn't perfect, but their system is light years ahead of ours. *Queue the people who say NY isn't Ohio*

You are right - we have a crappy system with crappy people with crappy rules with crappy decisions and hunters who can rarely make things happen (management/regs-wise).

NY could be much better run and the results would be much better hunting and management of the resource.

I work in ohio and know many hunters from huron, Co and Ashtabula co, and Crawford co. And they do not like their system at all and many are traveling to ny to hunt for opertunities here at multiple deer.
  • Like 1

I work in ohio and know many hunters from huron, Co and Ashtabula co, and Crawford co. And they do not like their system at all and many are traveling to ny to hunt for opertunities here at multiple deer.

Sure, right.

I've hunted each one of those counties on free permission and/or state land (Crawford and Ashtabula on permission and Willard in Huron), so I know what kind of pipe dream that is and I am not buying your bridge in the desert.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Some of you seem to have forgotten that this is a 1 buck state for Rifle/Shotgun hunting.

If you purchase a Bow or Muzzle-loader tag, you get an either sex tag for that hunting with that implement, not another buck tag.  If gives you a choice of which to use it on - handy if hunting with a bow in an area that has few/no doe tags and all you see is does. 

Not every hunter has bow and a muzzle-loader as well as a shotgun/rifle.

Please remember what the tag really is.

When I first started hunting, we had two deer max for the year (all seasons and implements combined, and at least one had to be a doe). there was no sign-over of doe tags or the like.  One of the seasons was an anterless-only.  Be thankful for we have here.

Some of you seem to have forgotten that this is a 1 buck state for Rifle/Shotgun hunting.

If you purchase a Bow or Muzzle-loader tag, you get an either sex tag for that hunting with that implement, not another buck tag.  If gives you a choice of which to use it on - handy if hunting with a bow in an area that has few/no doe tags and all you see is does. 

Not every hunter has bow and a muzzle-loader as well as a shotgun/rifle.

Please remember what the tag really is.

When I first started hunting, we had two deer max for the year (all seasons and implements combined, and at least one had to be a doe). there was no sign-over of doe tags or the like.  One of the seasons was an anterless-only.  Be thankful for we have here.

The either sex and antlerless tags you can use anywhere in the state are another management problem. All antlerless permits should be by WMU.

Its a 2 buck tag system, no matter how you spin it, we are not talking strictly gun season. If you went to a 1 buck, use it with any implement you buy a license for, youd still have a buck tag for gun season as long as you dont use it in early bow.

I see this one buck rule as a reasonable idea for certain locations/scenarios, but not as a blanket rule for the whole state. If all I did was hunt one or two small peices of private land and my neighbors were killing small bucks left and right, to the point where I never saw big bucks ever I might support it. But for the areas that have the deer (Long Island), or don't have the hunters (big woods Adk or Catskills) I could care less who shoots a second buck, or who passes on a bucks to hold out for a big one that may or may not come. The following year Nothing will be substantially changed.