Range Finder

jackULL

I just happened to stop at cabellas the day they had the leupold 1000tbi on sale for 249. I won't even bring it in the woods with me during hunting season. I bought some colored duct tape the color of my site pins and I mark a few trees with the corresponding color for 20,30,40 ,no 40 yard shots from this year's stand so just 20 and 30.

I just happened to stop at cabellas the day they had the leupold 1000tbi on sale for 249. I won't even bring it in the woods with me during hunting season. I bought some colored duct tape the color of my site pins and I mark a few trees with the corresponding color for 20,30,40 ,no 40 yard shots from this year's stand so just 20 and 30.

What do you do if in an unfamiliar area, have an opportunity to put a stalk on a deer ? I do most of my ranging prior to any deer showing up as well but it sure is nice to have, especially in open fields

I've got a rangefinder that's a little dated now but works great.  It's a Nikon Riflehunter 1000.  1000+ yard range.  Angle mode that works great for bow or steep terrain with a gun.  Lighted display turns red in low light.  I think I paid $350 for it but since then prices have come down a bit.  I use it all year long; summer varmints and all the big game seasons.

What do you do if in an unfamiliar area, have an opportunity to put a stalk on a deer ? I do most of my ranging prior to any deer showing up as well but it sure is nice to have, especially in open fields

I don't have enough spots to hunt where I will be in a unfamiliar area ,but I can see your point where it would be useful to have.