Shooting stix's

hawkenwoodsman

Primos makes a nice easy sliding bipod that is very easy to use. Pretty darn pricey though. But the one that I bought is extremely well made. I rigged up a bungee-cord sling so that I can carry it over my shoulder. It gets awkward carrying gun and that when you are trying to still-hunt. But what I found was that I am never next to a tree when I see the deer. It is nice to have something steady to rest the gun on depending on how far the shot. I am a bit shaky too.

I have the Primos Trigger Stick Bipod. It works quickly, quietly, and on uneven ground, like a side hill. Made a sling for it as well. I haven't tried the bog pod but they are very popular as well and look nice. Or as said above there are some u-tube vid's on how to make your own. A tripod will give more stability, but the bipod is a bit lighter to carry and offers a much more stable shot than offhand. And deploys very quickly.

Made my shooting stick out of an old cross country ski pole...strap already built in. stuck a "u" shaped screw in hanger thing into the top that swiveled and I'm good to go. Spent a buck. Not adjustable for height, but good enough for me...and it doubles as a walking stick. 

I've used Stoney Point shooting sticks for years, but my pair is about whipped and I want to upgrade..

Been reading lots of reviews and at the moment I'm leaning toward the Bog Pod Red leg bipod.

I use mine inside my popup blind and also when standing for deer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a monopod but never use it. What makes this model so much better?

The additional XSR piece makes it like shooting off a bench. I use it all the time out west. Setups just like shooting sticks very quickly, but the extra piece makes it way easier to hold steady. Makes a huge difference at 300-500yds, but still useful at closer ranges as well. Here's a stock photo I found.

post-871-14425152807443_thumb.jpg

Ive never had the time to strap the gun in during a spot and stalk hunt but it still works regardless. Especially when your huffing and puffing and trying to hold steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The additional XSR piece makes it like shooting off a bench. I use it all the time out west. Setups just like shooting sticks very quickly, but the extra piece makes it way easier to hold steady. Makes a huge difference at 300-500yds, but still useful at closer ranges as well. Here's a stock photo I found.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1442515277.487510.jpg

Ive never had the time to strap the gun in during a spot and stalk hunt but it still works regardless. Especially when your huffing and puffing and trying to hold steady.

Looks really nice, but way more than I would want to haul around for my typical shots in NY.  I could see it being very useful out west where you shoot at the distances you do.  My longest shot was around 230-240yds and I leaned against a tree for stability.  Most shots have been less than 100yds.

• Like 2

I hear ya. I've only used a shotgun in NY. I sit on the ground and shoot off my knee. But some people who have farm fields may find it useful in NY for much longer shots.

100yds or less with a rifle is an offhand chip shot.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

Why is it that when I am still-hunting, I always see the deer when I am no where near any good stable tree? It always seems that I happen to be in mid-stride in the most wide-open area in the woods when the deer suddenly step up over a rise. That happened way too often, and that is why I shelled out the big bucks for the Primos bipod. When there is no cover for you to step over 10 or 20 yards to a good tree rest, I simply prop up the bipod, drop the fore-end into the rest and blow the sucker down. I have to admit that I am the wiggliest off-hand shot in the world. No rest - no shot. I felt that I had to buy one.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have a monopod (don't know which brand) that I use for night hunting coyotes but am looking into a trigger stick. Don't know if I should go bipod or tripod..... does anyone have any experience with the tripods and if they are more of a hassle than anything for maneuverability, etc?