2015 HuntingNY Archery Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Post up pics of your 2015 archery season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Opening day 9pt! I hunted yesterday afternoon and even though it was super windy I still had an opportunity at this buck.  I shot him at 27yds with the Rage 2 blade, these broad heads have never let me down! I have taken 4 bucks with them now and never had one get away.  This is not the biggest buck in the world but where I hunt you just can't pass them up this size.  

post-1200-0-90096900-1443809416_thumb.jp

• Like 34

Not the best pic, I normally dont shoot Doe this early in the season, But this was one of those smart ole girls, Who picked me out over 50 yds away through the woods, The wind blowing from her to me and i had plenty of cover, She started the foot stomping and the head bobbing, then blew wind and took off, When she stopped a few bounds away i pulled out the can and gave her a couple bleats then hit the grunt call, She then proceeded to move closer to my position but stayed in the thicker brush; before coming out at right about 30yds she turned broadside and looked away,  The shot was a little forward and ended up breaking her front leg before exiting behind her offside shoulder, She did the high kick and took off straight through anything in the way, She ended up piling up about 125yds from the shot, Ive made the mistake in the past of letting old girls like this walk and regretted it every time, Im not gonna let one go that can pick you out and cause you headaches until somebody harvesters her, 

post-2347-0-30363000-1444094550_thumb.jp

• Like 23

Made it out for the last 2 hours after work in a great spot that transitions from hardwood/ pines to swamp on the way to the corn a quarter mile away .... This was the third doe I saw , 36 yd quartering away pass through .... Down in 40 yds after making the most God awful growl .... Gutless method with raptor razor big game skinner n packed her out , in the cooler in under n hour .... 186437111d57bcb3ee16af66c295f93f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 22

So bad pictures I know but I got my first doe with a bow right before sundown last night and it was too dark by the time I got packed up found the blood trail and found her.  The story goes...

Wednesday night I had a shot at this doe and missed TWICE due to some poor mechanics on my part.  I actually got some advice from some experienced bow hunters on this site and determined I wasn't bending at the waist and was lowering my arm instead resulting in higher shots.  I gave it another go last night and just before sundown like clockwork she came out of the high grass into the hardwoods with the two other smaller does she's been with every time I saw her.   The only difference is this time is she didn't give me as easy a shot opportunity at 20-25 yards.  She was approx 35-40 yards away this time which is still in my comfort zone so I focused on the mechanics and waiting for the right opening and took the shot.  She went down on all fours instantly and the got up and ran up the hill(15 yards) back into the high grass.  I waited about 20-30 mins and packed up and set out on the trail.  She only made it into the grass about 5 yards in....BONUS!  

post-2818-0-89056000-1445108696_thumb.jp

post-2818-0-60390400-1445108698_thumb.jp

• Like 13

110lbs dressed, my new stand down in a creek bottom has been great so far. seen deer every time I've been in it which is not what I'm used to. even saw too bucks sparring which is new for me too!!! gonna be even better once more leaves fall off and I can see in the field that's across the creek. really tough access to it though so getting in and out is a real pain but it's paying off. tried one of those disposable game glides to drag her out. definitely worked as advertised, wasn't exactly easy but was a lot easier!!! dragged her up a real steep hill and over logs by myself. feels good to have some venison in the freezer, no I can relax a little more and enjoy my treestand time even more

post-3734-0-07749100-1445354324_thumb.jp

Edited by 518BowSlayer
  • Like 20

Well it started with me heading out on the back 30 acres to sit my stand and wait .. well it took 2 hours of sitting and reading thru this thread and others and I heard crunching coming from my right and I was already standing up so I grabbed my bow and she was heading rite towards my lane I drew back and she grazed behind a bush for a minute so I let it in then she started walking again so I drew back she came out stood there grazing kinda quarter towards me and I made sure my pegs were rite and I was anchored rite and I released she immediately bolted into the woods and I couldn't see the arrow or blood so I got nervous as I was already amped up from adrenaline so I waited a little bit climbed down and found arrow rite past were she was and it was all blood clean pass thru but no blood trail at all so I waited and returned inside changed and grabbed my daughter and dad to help we started were the arrow was and no blood but specks here and there but luckily my property has dropped most leafs so you could see the disturbed trail I split one way they went the other and I hear we found it from my daughter .. there she laid still no blood around here ... dragged her out with her help and then she helped thru the whole process of field dressing and all .. it's already in my cooler quartered and on ice since it was 55° a991496f672463bdca57367eb37e3bb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 21