LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Deerpassion. What kind of scent are you using? Never knew it was effective this early

caa8645cb92956943b91c3f411187232.jpg

I haven't used scents in probly 5 or 6 years cause I hate store bought crap that who knows may be from the year before , but read up on this guy n heard a lot of good things .... Seems to be good so far , doe's didn't spook from it so that was a huge positive for me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pic or it didn't happen!

d8737cca71f11babf9e050c6428d9a27.jpgb19d0a9a0a26c020e28df54da2511f61.jpg24c285b32bba5c1a269f94f4d4a8d590.jpge9788c260b7e7192cc05f9f41ea20c10.jpg2aaf946d55007160f22eea8e36e26d28.jpg

First picture the doe, second ready to process, third the two bucks and on the right that white blob is the dead doe. Had to wait a good half hr+ before those damn bucks would leave. Third picture is the 8 point that was a total creep sniffing the arrow then licking it. And then the last picture is him right under my stand. He should be a beast next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Not familiar with the reference ... ?! Saw two more doe's on the way back to the truck , good movement in my neck of the woods today

four whitetails the guy that farms deer for preserves

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

So I just had the best, most fun and most disappointing morning sit of my life.Here's what happened.

I get to my new stand location just before 6am. This is the spot by an Oak tree with lot's of muddy moose size hoof prints from the Big 10 in my woods.A trail cuts right through the center section of my property and past a couple of Oaks. My stand is closer to the larger Oak at 15 yards distance.

About 6:20ish a deer comes snuffling right by my stand. It's still dark, I can just make out a shape. My camera  covering this trail goes off. It is a flash style. I get a glimpse of the Deer, it's a Buck but no monster. He comes over to the oak and begins to take a long luxurious pee. Then, to my surprise, he starts to crunch on the acorns. It's a Red Oak, so my perception was that deer didn't like 'em that much and used them as a last resort food source. Boy was I wrong. He spent the next 20 minutes munching his way around in front of me. The camera got a bunch of pics. He is a young deer, small rack but has 7 or 8 points. This is a new deer for me on cam. 

As he wanders off, sun-up begins . Everything goes grey. 15 minutes later there is good light, we are almost at 7am. I decide to see if I can rattle him back for a closer look. The conditions are perfect. nice temp, and no wind. The Knight and Hale sounds awesome and the noise reverberates through-out the woods. 10 minutes later I hear unmistakable and loud crunching of branches coming right at from the opposite direction the other deer left in. It is the Big 10, with his devil-may-care attitude to making noise. I remember the exact same noises from last years encounter with him. I stand up, grab the bow and my heart starts pounding. It looks like he is going to hit the trail and is coming my way.For 60 seconds I actually believe I am going to shoot this guy. Then, he stopped, about 40 yards out. I can't really see him too well, as the foliage is pretty thick. He spends the next 20 minutes crunching around at the same distance. I think he may have been at the other Oak. At one point I am feeling desperate. I give a light rattle on the K+H, just to remind him why he came over in the first place. This illicits some more crunching around but he isn't stepping out. 20 minutes of silence follow. I am gutted. I slowly climbed down with my bow in case he may have simply bedded down after a snack of acorns. I creep around the whole site for about 30 minutes. No sign of him. 

This is not my first day time encounter with Big 10. We faced off when he was an 8, and I nearly got him in a snowstorm last year as a 9. This however was the closest I have had him while being in a stand. Heart poundingly cool but feeling quite disappointed. 

I am delighted with the new stand set-up though. It seems to be a hot spot of action.

Edited by Papist
  • Like 4

So I just had the best, most fun and most disappointing morning sit of my life.Here's what happened.

I get to my new stand location just before 6am. This is the spot by an Oak tree with lot's of muddy moose size hoof prints from the Big 10 in my woods.A trail cuts right through the center section of my property and past a couple of Oaks. My stand is closer to the larger Oak at 15 yards distance.

About 6:20ish a deer comes snuffling right by stand. It's still dark, I can just make out a shape. My camera, covering this trail, goes off. It is a flash style. I get a glimpse of the Deer, it's a Buck but no monster. He comes over to the oak and begins to take a long luxurious pee. Then, to my surprise, he starts to crunch on the acorns. It's a Red Oak, so my perception was that deer didn't like 'em that much and used them as last resort food source. Boy was I wrong. He spent the next 20 minutes munching his way around in front of me. The camera got a bunch of pics. He is a young deer, small rack but has 7 or 8 points. This is a new deer for me on cam. 

As he wanders off, sun-up begins . Everything goes grey. 15 minutes later there is good light, we are almost at 7am. I decide to see if I can rattle him back for a closer look. The conditions are perfect. nice temp, and no wind. The Knight and Hale sounds awesome and the noise reverberates through-out the woods. 10 minutes later I hear unmistakable and loud crunching of branches coming right at from the opposite direction the other deer left in. It is the Big 10, with his devil-may-care attitude to making noise. I remember the exact same noises from last years encounter with him. I stand up, grab the bow and my heart starts pounding. It looks like he is going to hit the trail and is coming my way.For 60 seconds I actually believe I am going to shoot this guy. Then, he stopped, about 40 yards out. I can't really see him too well, as the foliage is pretty thick. He spends the next 20 minutes crunching around at the same distance. I think he may have been at the other Oak. At one point I am feeling desperate. I give a light rattle on the K+H, just to remind him why he came over in the first place. This illicits some more crunching around but he isn't stepping out. 20 minutes of silence follow. I am gutted. I slowly climbed down with my bow in case he may have simply bedded down after a snack of acorns. I creep around the whole site for about 30 minutes. No sign of him. 

This is not my first day time encounter with Big 10. We faced off when he was an 8, and I nearly got him in a snowstorm last year as a 9. This however was the closest I have had him while being in a stand. Heart poundingly cool but feeling quite disappointed. 

I am delighted with the new stand set-up though. It seems to be a hot spot of action.

Awesome morning ! That's the stuff that keeps "us ' coming back. Looking forward to a pic  of him and you with a big ole "checkmate grin "

• Like 2

Awesome morning ! That's the stuff that keeps "us ' coming back. Looking forward to a pic  of him and you with a big ole "checkmate grin "

Getting closer, that's for sure. If I don't get him, and he makes it into late gun, I think I know his way's well enough to get him after some heavy snow. Don't wanna wait that long tho!   ^_^

• Like 1

Mornings tally... Two 8 pt's , a 6 and a 4 , and 11 doe's with three fawns .... Awesome morning even though I didn't connect !!! Gotta love October ...

Must be nice. I would call that a good 3-4 years