What ATV to buy?

My dad may be purchasing a piece of land that has a steep 300-400 yard hill before flattening out. Its uphill going in, and downhill coming out. There is an open trail, some rocks, but nothing an quad can't handle. He's not really concerned about walking in or out, but more concerned about dragging a deer out by himself if I am not with him. He is retired and hunts weekdays while I am at work.

What are your guys thoughts on which quad that would be good for this? Its not overly rough terrain, just steep. He doesn't need to use the quad for much else, not like a working quad or anything. Additionally, he is not interested in driving it around the property for fun or anything like that.

Is $5K reasonable? I know they go up and over $10K, but again he doesn't need it much. It will probably sit on a trailer while he hunts everyday, unless he gets a buck and needs help dragging.

Thanks.

If thats all hes using it for, Id go used. Look into an ATV with an engine brake. My side by side has it, and going down hill is super easy, unless its a really steep grade, I dont even use the brakes.

For a trailer, just a standard 4x8 with a drop gate would be fine for a single ATV. If you want a side by side or to haul more than just the wheeler on there, then go bigger, like a 6x10. Im not sure if theres a Tractor Supply store down near you, but they sell them for a pretty low price. Any trailer dealer will have them.

• Like 3

Polaris,Honda Yamaha, Kawasaki all make good machines. I too would look for a used machine under 500 cc and 4x4 is a must if the hill gets a little snow. Got a trailer at Tractor supply that will fit an ATV for about $500. You should be able to buy a used machine and trailer for under $5000. Craigs List always has a bunch on there. Good luck with your search.

• Like 2

Thanks all.....all makes sense. 1 other quick question. Would the ATV need to be stored inside a shed or can it be stored through the winter under a tarp, under a deck in my dad's backyard?

I tarp mine outside all winter as I cant get it up the ramp to my shed with the plow on. The Honda has never failed to start of course inside is always the better route

Edited by gfdeputy2
  • Like 1

I sold my sons Kawasaki Prairie 360 and replaced it with a Polaris 570, back in April. The 360 was an awesome work horse machine. Only reason I switched was because the 360 didn't have quite the ground clearance and it wasn't fuel injected. Fuel injected machines are way easier to start (especially on cold days) than carborated ones with chokes. Just start the thing, wait maybe a minute and go, as opposed to putting on  the choke, lowering the choke slowly as the thing warms up, and then taking off. If your father just wants a good, basic 4X4 ATV then look at the Prairie 360. Its a lot less $ that the Polaris 570.

As far as storage, outside. It will be fine. Get a good ATV cover, pull the battery and leave it on a battery tender or float charger in the garage or basement, off of the floor. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy anything bigger than a 400, since you'll be going up hills I would try to get something that has IRS, and would definitely go used.  There are a lot of nice 4-wheelers out there well under $5000, or even $3000 for this matter.  If you need to store it outside, I would try to store it on a concrete pad of some kind and buy one of those cheap 6x8 or 6x10 outdoor tents with sides.  At minimum I would keep it off the bare ground if possible. Best case scenario would be to have it inside a building (obviously.)  Good luck!

• Like 1

1 more question for you guys who used ATV's to drag deer. Are you putting the deer up on the ATV or dragging it with a rope? Not sure a rope type drag would work on this property since the drag would be down a steep hill. I would think the deer would keep sliding under the quad.....

what about an older Jeep, would that work? something like that he could drive there from home and not have to worry about trailering or storage.

I don't think it would work. This trail probably was in good shape many years ago. But now it's washed and pretty steep. Funny thing is there is an old rusted and broken down jeep on the property. Someone must have flipped it up on the property back in the like the 1960s if I had to guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it would work. This trail probably was in good shape many years ago. But now it's washed and pretty steep. Funny thing is there is an old rusted and broken down jeep on the property. Someone must have flipped it up on the property back in the like the 1960s if I had to guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it's that steep, I would work on making a trail that takes a more gradual climb up the hill......my Uncle flipped one on a steep logging trail...not good on a 70 year old body.

• Like 2

I own a Suzuki Eiger......great machine....I've had it for about 7 years...never an issue....used ones are out there.. I did add over sized tires, winch and skid plates.....A winch and skid plates might not be a bad idea especially if your Dad will be out there by himself Winch has gotten me out of trouble a few times...