2015 Fletch In The Field

Fletch

Man these early Oct 1 starts come fast!!! Especially with the summer that won't end!!

I have been finishing up the chores, pool closed today, finished cutting wood.....

I still need to find a new pair of boots, it is not easy finding non Chinese crap, I may have to bend.

Been shooting the bow and crossbow all summer, stands all cleaned up. Need to sharpen up a few broad heads yet.

I am usually not to excited with summer temps in the early opener but it looks to be 40 degrees the first couple of mornings so I am a bit pumped.

Hope you all have a successful season with good venison, good company and good times. I look forward to reading the other journals and will do my best to entertain!!

Peace,

Fletch

• Like 1

Thanks ADK, Zem!!

Good luck to you guys this season!

I am all ready to go in the morn. I looked back on how bad the first 2-3 weeks were last season and that controlled my excitement for tomorrow a lot!! lol

I finally ordered some new made in the USA Danner hunting boots. I will stick with my old ones and hope its not too wet until my new ones come in.

I can never remember what time I need to get up to be in my stand by before the first day. I must admit I never see the dawn except in deer season!!

• Like 1

10/1/15 am  43 degrees slight breeze

Out behind the house in the far stand well before light. The woods are real quiet from the last 2 days of rain. Felt good to be in the tree again! I dressed warm knowing 40 would feel real cold after all the hot weather we have had.

Had a 3-5 pointer sneak in behind me at 8:05am. I never heard him till he was right 15 yards behind me. He crossed behind me at 12 yards and went on out up the ridge off my left just easing along.

Would of loved to stay out longer but wrapped it up at 2 hours and headed in to work.

10/1 pm 59 degrees

Got out for two hours in the Hole stand on another property. About 6pm had a doe and two small ones coming in. They were feeding and out of range slowly working towards a lane. For 20 minutes they avoided the lane and after a bit the doe must have caught an errant breeze, not sure how the wind was in my face. Anyway she blew a couple times. They were not too alarmed but fed back the way they came. One little one finally crossed the lane but not mama. At sunset I got down and took a few steps and jumped one coming in from the other direction. Not sure what but alone so I am thinking a small buck, I just saw its south end.

10/2 am 39 degrees

Got out for 2 hours in the tower blind out back. Just getting gear straightened out and drop my quiver and it bangs against the steel racking on the way down 18 feet. That made an especially not good, very loud gong sound! Not surprisingly, I did not see a deer this morning.

10/3 pm 55

Got out in the far stand behind the house for 2.5 hours. At 6pm I had a spike trying to be a 6 point come in and came right to me. He knew he smelled something but was not smart enough yet to leave. He played mister curious and walked over to my cam and stuck his nose in that. Walked completely around me at less than 5 yards ending up right at the base of my ladder stand. He then eased off after about 15 minutes of this. I heard another off to my side walking but never came in.

10/4 am 50 degrees

Out in the outer hole stand for 3 hours. It was a bit warmer and breezier this morning. At 7:30am had a spike walk by me at 20 yards. My brother was out as well up the ridge and saw the same spike. That was it.

10/4 pm 66

I shoulda just stayed in the house after my Eagle blew that game to the Skins!

Out in the deep hole stand for 2 hours. I had the same doe and 2 fawns that I saw the other night head in. It took the doe forever and she is a real nervous girl. She stepped into my lane and stopped, I was at full draw, at about 28 yards. And I proceeded to shoot right under her!! Thousands of arrows practiced so when the shot counts I drop my arm fast as anything to watch the shot!!!! Of I stink Oh I stink Oh I stink!!! Hold the follow through! I was preaching to my 13 year old just yesterday as we were slinging practice arrows. Practice what you preach dad!!

• Like 2

10/5 pm 66

Took the morning off to catch up a little sleep and I wanted to shoot my bow after last night. Dead on as can be at 20-30-40 yards all operator error.

Got out for just an hour tonight on the close field edge stand. Nothing to see.

10/6 am 52

Out back in the far stand for 2 hours this morning. It was real peaceful!! Too peaceful lol. Just squirrels and leaves. When I got down I was kicking the leaves that had fallen away from the front of my stand and a deer started blowing a few hundred yards away? Not sure if it heard me or something else spooked it.

10/6 pm 61

Out back in the far stand for 2.5 hours. Absolutely nothing. Man it was quiet out!!

On the way out I jumped one eating apples in front of one of my brothers stands. Then jumped another in front of the tower blind as well as another on the cut off the side of the tower!! Guess I should have been hunting the closer end of the property tonight! This is actually the first year I have had apple on the ground still during hunting season. There is so many around even on trees that usually don't have any.

Edited by Fletch

10/8 am 48

Out back in the far stand for 2 hours. While dark on the way in I bumped one from near my brothers stand so I stopped for a couple minutes it just ran 30-40 yards behind me and stopped so I continued on and a few steps later I have one jump about 10 feet from me. That will wake you up! This one did not go far either so I continued on in. I mowed this trail a couple weeks ago so it is just forest loam and real quiet. I was using a green tinted flashlight though so I was a bit surprised to get that close.

Nothing but squirrels until 8:30 or so and I had a small spike go by about 50 yards out. Pretty warm this afternoon I may need to get the boat out instead of the bow!

10/13 pm 62

Out back in the far stand for 2 hours. Lots of leaves fallen/falling. Did not see a thing on watch.

On the way out jumped two from under the apple tree in front of one of my brothers stands again.

My nephew had no luck over the weekend out of the tower. Seems the last week or so has been real slow.

This cold front weekend should help.

10/14 am 53

Out in the far stand for 2 hours. It was a nice morning. Thought I might see something. As I eased out two small bucks were in the clearing off the tower. Wish they would have done that over the weekend when my nephew was there!

Pulled the cams and was a bit pissed that those two bucks where right in front of one cam and it never took one pic? Wonder how many deer I am missing? I have 3 of these Coverts out and not cheapos. I did have one buck that looked bigger go by the far stand at 1am but out a ways and grainy. Along with the skippers and some does during daytime.

10/15 am 42

Out back in the far stand this morning. It was nice and chilly. I had a couple somethings under me well before light. They made some strange sounds, I am thinking two raccoons. Beautiful sit with nothing but a lot of squirrel activity!!

10/15 pm 62

Out behind the house on the field edge. Just out for an hour after taxi duty.

Nothing sighted. I did hear one blow a good bit off up behind the houses down the street. Was hoping it would scare my way. As I was headed out I bumped it coming down behind the stand. I gave it the old blow back and stomped like a deer and shuffled off trying to sound like a deer to throw it off the game!! :secret:

10/16 pm 58-52

Got out back in the far stand and was good for about an hour. Then it got real dark and thundering. Then rain good so I got down and eased to the tower and it stopped raining for 30 minutes then dark and poured for my walk home! Yea

Clothes needed washing anyway lol

10/17 am 39

Out 3 hours in the deep hole stand and nada. What a nice morning! Did not even see a squirrel until just getting down. Pathetic, I remember early bow season now!!! So much food everywhere, no pressure and no prerut = no deers!

Figuring out a master plan for later!!