How did I miss this !?!?

Nivk

I was out in my stand this morning when a doe comes strolling by. She was just over 15 yards away at the far egde of my field of view. I could tell she was heading into some brush rather than continuing into the the open area directly to my left, so I turned and drew on her. She paused just before going into the bushes giving me a perfect broadside view and I took the shoot. Pfft... Nothing.

Fortunately she wasn't injured. The arrow passed under her and between her legs. I don't even think she noticed. The shot was in line with where I was aiming but obviously way low.

I'm so frustrated that I missed this. I have been waiting for the chance to redeem myself from a poor performance last year. And after practicing for months from all positions in the stand and from the ground I was feeling pretty optimistic about taking my first deer with a bow. But now I'm questioning whether I should even be doing this if I can't connect on a shot like this. I rarely ever miss low. I just can't believe I missed such a large target from that distance.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

It's hunting, unfortunately it happens to everyone. Be thankful it was a clean miss as the positive in this. I used to play a lot of competitive golf. I tended to remember the good shots versus the bad ones. Don't beat yourself up too badly. You missed, it happens. Get out there with confidence and get it done as a positive reinforcement you CAN do it !

• Like 2

You dropped your bow arm and peaked.

It happens many times a year, trust me............................BTDT

Yep. You probably didn't 'follow through' with the shot like you do with target practice.

Pick one hair on the deer and treat it like it's the gold medal shot in the olympics.

• Like 3

Hmmm... thanks for the responses. You all might be right about the follow through. I felt the setup was on point, but the finish did seem different.

I guess my next question then is, what's the consensus on reusing broadheads that have been 6 inches in the dirt?

I guess my next question then is, what's the consensus on reusing broadheads that have been 6 inches in the dirt?

What kind of BH?

Can they be resharpened or do they have easily (but of course not cheap) blades you can swap out?

Sometimes I'll use those dull ones for range time and others times if the aren't monkeyed up TOO bad, I'll sharpen them on a series of DMT diamond stones and reuse them.  Only experience will tell you if they are in good enough condition to save.

Most of the time for most of the guys/gals, you're better off chucking them in the "used" pile and installing new ones.

Luck to you!

• Like 1

We practice to perfection but when the shot comes it all goes down the tubes and we screw up . Been there , done that ! 

I always preach "bend at the waist" when shooting from a tree stand and have forgotten when taking the shot at a deer ...........

• Like 4

Ok. I think I'll swap out the blades, and save these old ones for back up. Im using razor tricks so they are easily replaced, but yeah... not cheap. Might try to resharpen them if I can find my stone.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

The Secret cure for buck fever: I wrote once there is no cure for buck fever, well there is but I didn't want to tell you then because it was a secret. Lou Ellison the Cherokee Medicine man taught me to ask the “Great Spirit” permission before I released a bow string or pull a trigger on game. Now this is true to most Native American cultures I have studied, as they have a respect for all living things. The little prayer does something else as well. It calms the nervous system down to produce a shot, and is the secret cure for buck fever. Now I suspect Fred Bear who was the “Father of Bow hunting” taught Ted Nugent the same thing at about the same time I learned, as Fred was Native American. The Indians also recognize crazy people as being “Touched” by the Great Spirit so they are usually considered very special people in the tribe . You hear the Nuge talking about the prayer every time he takes a shot at big game. I think Fred found a way to calm him down.

• Like 2

Tel yourself to hear the arrow hit your target/deer until you move.That's what I was taught when I had the same problem.It worked real good.If you hear the arrow hit your target by that time its already doing what it needs to do.Try that.It takes a while to get it but once you do it works!!

• Like 1

Tel yourself to hear the arrow hit your target/deer until you move.That's what I was taught when I had the same problem.It worked real good.If you hear the arrow hit your target by that time its already doing what it needs to do.Try that.It takes a while to get it but once you do it works!!

That is exactly what I was told also. It makes a big difference. Don't worry about seeing where you hit. If you hear the arrow hit, when you get down and inspect your arrow, you will have a good idea how good the hit was.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Edited by CFHunter
  • Like 2

These are some really great tips and I look forward to trying them out!

On the mechanical side of things I spent some time target shooting with my newly blunted broadhead and discovered that I was shooting pretty consistently low with it compared to my field points. This should be corrected now. My new training regimen is just to shoot twice with the boradhead each day. One in the morning and one in the evening. This way I have to get it right on the first try. So far so good.

On the mental side of things I will try to carry out the advice to pause and give thanks before making a shot, then listen for the arrow to hit after releasing. I have been spending 20min or so meditating prior to sunrise each day out to calm the nerves and be mindful of the activity to come. But when a deer is in range and the adrenaline rises, bringing that state of mindfulness to each shot has been a challenge.  

• Like 1

These are some really great tips and I look forward to trying them out!

On the mechanical side of things I spent some time target shooting with my newly blunted broadhead and discovered that I was shooting pretty consistently low with it compared to my field points. This should be corrected now. My new training regimen is just to shoot twice with the boradhead each day. One in the morning and one in the evening. This way I have to get it right on the first try. So far so good.

On the mental side of things I will try to carry out the advice to pause and give thanks before making a shot, then listen for the arrow to hit after releasing. I have been spending 20min or so meditating prior to sunrise each day out to calm the nerves and be mindful of the activity to come. But when a deer is in range and the adrenaline rises, bringing that state of mindfulness to each shot has been a challenge.

Glad you figure it out.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems