Need some climber advice...

zeus1gdsm

I'm looking to pick up a climber and have about $300 to work with.

I am 6'3 and bounce between 280-300 lbs...wear a size 13 boot.

Looking to get a 350lb rated climber...

Kind of torn between the api quest.

http://www.apioutdoors.com/products/acl605-a-quest-climbing-treestand.html

And the summit goliath.

http://www.summitstands.com/summit-goliath-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oakr-camo

Bass pro has the quest on-sale right now. For 279. The summit runs about 320.

The seat for the api looks warmer. Yet the platform on the summit is larger. With the big of Itasca on those 13size boots feel more like 15s.

Key wants: safety. Weight, comfort.

****I know that I need a FAS harness and it's the final word in safety****

I read some quality concerns and possible safety issues with api. But it was a couple years ago...

Purpose: bow. Rifle. Muzzleloader... I have no land of my own so I am constantly moving between public land. And friends small property and another buddy's massive property... None of which has stands.

My thought is to get a good climber that will last over 5 years. As I won't be moving for at least 3 years.

Thoughts...?

**** on a side note.... I am open to lightweight easy setup 2 man blind I can setup and take down each hunt. That last more than one or two seasons and accommodate 2 chairs... For 2 adults or myself and a kid.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Edited by zeus1gdsm

Try these...

http://www.xopoutdoors.com/index.html

Lone Wolf knock offs but slighlty more affordable. I believe they are selling through cabela's and field and stream.

As Moog suggested, a hangon and sticks would be more versatile. I have both lone wolf climber and hangon but my sticks aren't great. Will be upgrading my sticks when I can.

Edited by pewlodar

I looked at hangers and sticks... But to be honest I hate ladders and after checking gout the sticks at various stores in person. I'm just not comfortable with them.

Those linked "extreme" treestand are.interesting....

The treewalkers look nice. Very spartan

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I had an api grand slam years back (2005ish). It was bulky, heavy and I didn't care for the way the coated chain held against the tree. Also the quest has a very small foot platform, special compare to lone wolf(not sure about summit). Doesn't leave a lot of room to move around.

Good luck.

my hunting buddy is pretty much exactly your size and loves the summit. he's always commenting on how comfortable it is. he is a noob and has no experience to caompare with but he is very happy. i use a lone wolf and played with his and was surprised at how much i liked it.

I'll be honest. Climbers are not for the large. You really do need to be in good shape and not too big in the belly. I'm an athletic 6'1 and still find them a bear at times. And the sweat...

but to answer your question, i've enjoyed my summit sd for the price. I've heard nothing but great things about lone wolf but they're pricier. to me it comes down to safety more than comfort. I had a cheap f&s and did not feel safe at all. when up only twice in it before it went away.

I used to have a Summit Viper, the smaller version of the Goliath. Comfortable, fast to climb with, light weight and solid as a rock. That being said, it sucked for bow hunting, the top rail got in the way and I didnt like all of the movement required to lean out far enough to get the bow past it. I shoot a longer A2A bow though.

I have had API stands in the past, and would not buy another one. Heavy, yet kind of chinsy feeling. They might be different now though.