Prussik knot

Paula

I'll take turkeyfeathers bet! Nothing unsafe about ascending or descending the ladder of a ladder tree stand, other than icy conditions! Sketchy moment is when you initially put one up and climb it before the ratchet straps are attached. Once secured,hopefully you're climbing it with both feet on the rungs and hands grasping the ladder sections. Falls would obviously occur when standing on the platform before being secured to a tree strap or at the "moment of truth" when you probably are NOT paying attention to your footing or leaning to the side too far. IMHO, Ladder stands are the one exception to the three basic types of stands (climber, hang-on, ladder) when you are more likely to create an unsafe situation using a lifeline going up the ladder itself. Clearly when you step off that last ladder rung onto the platform, safety then becomes an issue! But..to each his own, if using a lifeline gives you a "warm fuzzy" feeling about safety, by all means use it with your ladder stand!!

I never did either... Till setting up a stand, 20 feet up and when I stepped out onto it it came out from under me... Thank God I still had my climbing strap around the tree... Saved my life... Now I think "How can I do that safely and quickly...?"... Life lines are the bomb... 

• Like 3

I know I don't have to. I had to move my tree stand this year and I still added the strap.

Smart lady.................the prussik knot is THE coolest thing going.  When I first saw it I almost passed out!!  What a slick slick knot.

Oh yea........people HAVE to know that the tag end at the bottom of the tree MUST be tied off at waist level fairly tight for the knot to slide UP the tree when climbing!!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

You shouldn't have to swap to another safety line.  As long as the loop around the tree is ABOVE your head, one line should do it.

Not all of my sets allow me to put the loop above my head while in the stand. I always put the loop right above a large sized fork, I dont put it on a straight trunk.

Not all of my sets allow me to put the loop above my head while in the stand. I always put the loop right above a large sized fork, I dont put it on a straight trunk.

If it is a small enough trunk and I have enough of a tag end at the bottom I'll loop the line around the tree two times.  It ain't slipping even with MY lard ass on the hook............................. :mosking:

Edit to change the word truck to trunk!

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

If it is a small enough truck and I have enough of a tag end at the bottom I'll loop the line around the tree two times.  It ain't slipping even with MY lard ass on the hook............................. :mosking:

Are you leaving yours up all season? Im not worried about if I were to fall and the line has tension on it, I dont want it falling down the tree when Im not there. Granted, it would catch on the stand or whatever, but I dont want it to move.

Some stay on over the year.  I know some may have their doubts on that, so did I until I tested one that had a few years in the tree for "aging". :)

I went to my buddy Tom's place and hung one in a tree in his yard.  Then I tied/bundled 250lbs of DEAD weight to a carabiner, placed the weight and me in the bucket of his tractor and headed for the sky.  With the bucket extended as high as it would go I hooked the carabiner to the prussik, then had Tom slowly dump the bucket while I pushed the dead weight out.  It fell with a great ummpffff. 8)

Nothing broke, all was well.

My "old, skanky" marine grade lines held like a champ  as did the carabiner and prussik knot.

• Like 1

I've always thought a rubber coated rubber hook that you could temporarily attach to your tether would be a good idea, move it to each ladder rung as you climb and then hook it somewhere on the platform as you climb in. Better than nothing. I put the loop on my tether on each peg as I descend a set of sticks. Certainly a lifeline with prussic would be better46ce23ed12d0652a7e4900af9b99d3b1.jpg

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Like 1

I've always thought a rubber coated rubber hook that you could temporarily attach to your tether would be a good idea, move it to each ladder rung as you climb and then hook it somewhere on the platform as you climb in. Better than nothing

It could get tangled on a wrung, limb, stand etc.  A safety line w/prussik knot can easily be used with a ladder stand.  BTDT

Btw your Prusik knot ( named after the mountain climbing dentist who populized the knot)

Should be of a smaller daimeter than the safety line. It is just one of many self tensioning hitches as well.

I make the closed loop with a double fisherman, this loop is than tied into the Prusik .

Here is a good website for learning knots .

Also don't count on it on a frozen rope.

http://www.animatedknots.com/ipaddetails.php

Edited by Larry302

Here's an excellent place to get short lengths of 'leftover' rope, and high quality carabiners. Go to their 'specials' page and look under discount rope. They have lots of short pieces that will work well for hunting applications. High quality and inexpensive.

If you have a club and want a bunch of short lengths, a nice letter might even get you an almost free box of 20 to 25 foot tag ends from their reels. ;-] (Arborists and loggers have little need for climbing rope in those lengths.)

http://www.wesspur.com/

They supply equipment for people who hang from trees for a living, and they're nice folks.

Thanks for the OP Paula. I've been a climbin' monkey for most of my life and thought everyone knew this.

• Like 1